TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - October 15-22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2017 vacation trips:

• November 2-12 - Fiji (SE Viti Levu area near Suva) on the Fiji Aggressor [ SOLD OUT!!! ]
• March 24-31, 2018 - Bonaire (Buddy Dive)
• June 8-20 - Yap Immersion (same 10-day format we did this year)
• July 14-28 - Sulawesi, Indonesia with our friends at Murex (includes a day at Lembeh Straits)
• August 18-25 - Isla Mujeres (Whale Sharks, Cancun Underwater Museum, Cenotes)
• STILL WORKING ON A COUPLE OF OTHER DATES & DESTINATIONS

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE: Foreign Trips
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Upcoming local dives & classes:

• Tues., Oct. 17 - Photo Workshop [PLEASE NOTE DATE CHANGE] - Westwood ($25)
• Sat., Oct. 28 - Catalina Express - Avalon Underwater Park ($150)

To sign up for any of these dives, either call us at 310/652-4990 or e-mail us at kenkurtis@aol.com
—————————————————————————————————————————————
It sounded like a party . .

A WHOLE BUNCH OF BLACK SEA BASS - I saw a FB post today from Karen Norris (one of our divers - so I know she only speaks the truth) who was out at the Avalon Underwater Park on Saturday and who says they saw . . . THIRTEEN . . . Black Sea Bass (aka Giant Sea Bass) out around the 55-foot contour. This sounds like the same depth, so perhaps the same area, where we've been seeing them the past few weeks. But 13 of them, my oh my!!!!

YOUR CHANCE COMES AGAIN ON OCTOBER 28 - Obviously, you can also go on your own, but Karen's experience is a good time to remind you that we're going back to Avalon on Saturday, October 28, and we'll see if we can find the BSBs again. We'll leave on the Catalina Express out of San Pedro again, 9AM going over and 5:30PM from Avalon coming back. $150 covers you for the boat, the taxi over and back, tanks (no weights), and airfills, plus all the BSBs we can find. Call us at 310/652-4990 if you want to join in on the fun.

EXPRESS ENDING THE FREEBIE BIRTHDAY TRIP - Speaking of the Catalina Express, they've announced that, as of December 31 this year, they are ending their promotion of traveling for free on your birthday. So if you've got a birthday between now and them, try to take advantage of it before it ends. The caveat (which I've always felt was a bit restrictive) was that the offer was good only on your actual birth day, but a lot of people have certainly taken advantage of this over the almost six years now that it's been offered.

THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT - Here's your feel-good vide of the week. A woman in Australia noticed that a small shark was trapped in a tidepool. So she went over, picked it up, and tossed it back in the ocean. Good on you, as Aussies would say. Here's a video of the rescue: Woman rescues shark trapped in rock pool with bare hands ::.

PHOTO WORKSHOP THIS WEEK - I made a small typo when I first typed this up and it read "Photo Worship" instead of "Workshop." Although I suppose if you want to come over and worship some of the photos I have hanging on my walls, we can arrange that. But if you'd rather work on your own stuff, than maybe you'd be interested in the Photo Workshop scheduled for this coming Tuesday. (Note that I moved it up a day from when it was originally scheduled.) This informal evening class ($25) will go over not only basics, but also some easy-to-use tips and tricks that you can apply immediately to start taking better pictures. Plus if you'd like to bring some of your own shots on a flash drive, we can take a look at what you're shooting and perhaps see why you're not getting the results you want. Give a call to 310/652-4990 to get signed up.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

Back
Top Bottom