TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - January 3-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
• • • REEF SEEKERS REPAIR DEPARTMENT • • •
Contact Robert Stark (our repair guru) directly at 310/947-8523 or
ReefSeekersRepair@gmail.com
SAVE 33% ON YOUR REPAIRS - CLICK HERE: Repair Repeat Offender Program
Follow us on Facebook by clicking here and then choosing "LIKE": www.facebook.com/reefseekers
Upcoming local dives (call 310/652-4990 for more info and to register):

• MORE TO COME IN 2016 BUT SO FAR . . .
• Saturday, February 20 - 35th Annual Avalon Underwater Cleanup
• Wednesday, May 4 - Chamber Day & Eve 2016
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2015-2016 vacation trips:

• March 11-19 - Yap (can be combined with Palau)
• March 20-27 - Palau on the Palau Aggressor II [ can be combined with Yap - we can get 3 more spots ]
• Late May or early June - Bonaire or Cayman
• July 2-14 - Indonesia
• August 1-6 - Isla Guadalupe & Great White Sharks [ ONLY 6 SPOTS AVAILABLE ]
August 20-27 - Isla Mujeres & Whale Sharks, cenotes, and statues
• November 3-16 - Maldives on the Manthiri [ 5 SPOTS CONFIRMED - ONLY 7 STILL AVAILABLE ]

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE
: www.reefseekers.com/foreign_trips.html
Nothing like starting off the year with the flu. Uggghhh!!! This will be short and sweet . . .

ROSE PARADE 2016 - Fortunately, the illness didn't hit until AFTER the Rose Parade. So we were able to be ensconced on our usual spot a few blocks from the end of the route. It's truly amazing when you can see up close the workmanship and detail that goes into the floats. If you'd like to take a look at some of the pix I shot, here's the link. They'll display as a collage. Click on any individual shot for full-screen or hit "slideshow" in the upper right and they'll run automatically: https://kenkurtis.smugmug.com/The-Rose-Parade-all/Rose-Parade-2016/ .

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM - The weather prediction this week is for rain and lots of it, almost 6 inches, which is twice what we get normally in the entire month of January. Hello El Nino. This was the live shot late this morning of Redondo and Vets Park. It's doesn't get much flatter than this:
Lake Pacific (1-3-16).jpg

GIANT SQUID SIGHTING - You may recall a few years ago we talked about the hoopla surrounding the first video images of a live Giant Squid that were taken by a deep submersible. None had ever been observed in the wild before. Well, it just got even better. It seems that on Christmas Eve there was a juvy Giant Squid ("only" 12 feet long - adults are thought to grow to 40 feet or more) hanging around a bay in Japan for a few hours. And a local diver went in got video as well as ushered the animal back out to open ocean. If you'd like to see what it looked like, use this link: Giant squid surfaces in Japanese harbor - CNN.com.

AVALON CLEANUP - Saturday, February 20th, and we'd love to have you join us at the Green Pier. Give us a call (310/652-4990) to get signed up.

See? I told you it'd be short. You have a great week while I go wallow in my misery. And let's go diving soon . . . but after this thing in me passes.

- Ken

Looks like I'll miss you again in Palau, Ken. I[m not heading back until early April. I'll have to look at your Maldives trip.

Back
Top Bottom