Tusa X-Pert Zoom fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hex92:
It would be a shame to use your zooms in a pool while doing your coursework. They will get scratched all to hell.

Not sure if this is a legitimate concern. If you are like me and will do any degree of shore diving, the "hell" that your fins will experience in the pool will pale in comparison to the devastation they will endure when you have to walk over some coral or rock, even for a short distance.

JAG

Furner:
Anyone have any experience with them? They were suggested by my dive shop when I went to buy my gear for my OW class. Just wondering if these are good or not, they wernt cheap, so if for some reason you have horror stories about these fins, I can always exchange them before my OW class.

EDIT: Is there something cheaper and better I could get instead? I paid $129 for the Zooms
I tried them out and it wasnt for me,sorry but i havent seen any fish with a split fin yet,split fins should have been invented before the regular ones,its only marketing.Try a few differend models so that you be able to compare.peace

I went and exchanged my Medium for Large today, got the black fins. The LDS said that I could come in a day or two before my cert class and borrow some fins, he suggested Aqua Lung Blade fins.

I like them a lot. I agree that the angle makes them very comfortable to use-no cramps. I too ,was unhappy with the buckles,so I installed some spring straps-sweet!
Im a big guy-6'4' about 250# and they work well for me!

Where did you get your spring straps for the zoom fins?

Drewpy:
I like them a lot. I agree that the angle makes them very comfortable to use-no cramps. I too ,was unhappy with the buckles,so I installed some spring straps-sweet!
Im a big guy-6'4' about 250# and they work well for me!

I started out diving with Blades, but kept getting cramps in my legs. They felt like stiff boards. I switched to Apollo Bio Fins, which are wonderful (never had a cramp with them).

I got a pair of Zoom fins last year, mostly because they had built-in color that makes it easier for buddies and students to see me in the sometimes murky water of So. Cal. Like an idiot, I didn't try them first ... splits fins are all the same, right? Wrong.

I found the Zoom fins to be much stiffer than the Bio fins and, after trying them for a couple of weeks, sodl them cheap to a fellow diver. Had I moved directly from the Blades to the Zoom fins I probably would have been quite happy, but it's hard to step UP in stiffness, I think.

I have some Zooms as well. They have served me well but I do have a pair of SP Jets in the bullpen for when I feel the current or conditions are not going to be idea and need some more 'meat'.

I got them at my LDS-I can't remember what brand they were? The stainless bracket fits over the post and with a good tug with pliers it snaps in.The straps are awesome! Why didnt someone come up with this earlier! Easy on - easy off and very secure! Probably the best gizmo I have purchased!
BTW there is a board member - boogie 711 who sells them.He has a web site attached to his sig line. Do a search for "spring straps"
I think I paid about 45$ for mine-$$ well spent! You can also buy the parts and put them together yourself-check the DIY section.
Hope this helps-good luck!

nativenarcosis:
I have some Zooms as well. They have served me well but I do have a pair of SP Jets in the bullpen for when I feel the current or conditions are not going to be idea and need some more 'meat'.

I dived with jet fins for 30+ years and decided to try splits. After several models, I settled on the SP twin speeds. They are stiff enough to give both power and precision kicks. I've always kept up with blade divers with no effort, but I recently got a good test of their capabilities in high current. In PNG I was diving with one of the divemasters in a very high current dive. We had a pull line from the stern to the mooring line but still had to swim from that line over the edge of the reef to where there was no current. He had fins that were 3 feet long. We broke off the mooring line at the same time and I beat him to the edge and over and was not even winded by the effort. I'm a 50 Y.O. female and he is a 31 Y.O. male who dives for a living. Hmmmmm....who says they're no good in current?????

I have been following your thread for a while as i am intrested in some new fins myself.

By the way sorry for piggy backing your thread

What caught my eye was that you use the "frog kick" to take strain off your ankles. Thought i was the ONLY one.
The x-pert zooms seem great, how do they compare to the volo??
Let me know what you think when you try yours out for the first time. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom