Turtle in trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
was at the Y.O yesterday and spotted a turtle chillin on the deck of the san pedro. i spotted some mono line around its left flipper, on closer look there was a thick band of mono rapped around the flipper right up close to the shell which kept the turtle from using it. i tried to get it off but was having a hard time keeping the patiant still and performing the operation,as i was diving alone. anyway Im hoppin that someone else will keep an eye out for the turtle, on the y.o or turtle canyon. and give it a helping hand. now i think im finally going to invest in a scissor dive knife.

There's a turtle at Portlock with a bum flipper. It just hangs there. I didn't see any mono on it, but the turtle wouldn't let me get close.

EMT Shears are great for fishing line surgery on turtles. I had to help one guy out at Makaha, his right front flipper was all wrapped up, and so was his neck. He was pretty leery of the crazy-looking guy coming up from underneath him with shears in his hand, but he seemed much happier after I cut a bunch of that stuff off.

And yes, the operation is much easier if you have a buddy there to assist in controlling the patient.

Peace,
Greg

yeah I felt bad having to leave it on him but i didnt want to hurt him while trying to help him.

One turtle in need I ran into was near the end of OW Dive #4 for a teen age girl, who then was my turtle rescue buddy for her first dive after cert. We changed tanks quickly and the turtle seemed to be expecting us.

This was a teenage turtle as well though; healthy adult turtles are a handful for a strong swimming healthy human.

I tried shears that time but still had to unwind the line pieces out of the wound so I now think just unwinding without cutting might be best if possible.

yeah its a sad thing....I wish I could have found the end but everything was so twisted and wrapped tight, to the point where the turtle cant use that flipper, and its wrapped right up close to the shell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom