Turtle bites diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went to Marineland this Sunday to buddy with a young diver, practice rigging/unrigging a deco/stage, and do some bouyancy checks with different tanks.

Anyway, I was at the surface with my buddy after doing some ascent/descent drills and one of the girls started to pinch my butt!

How unprofessional! Here I am, explaining the finer points of using lung volume to adjust bouyancy, and she is just screwing around!

christ!

So, I get done with the talk. She is really clamping down! I turn around to chew her out and there is a big old turtle firmly attached to my right cheek!

Holy cow, that is a first! I shooed the beast away and we went back to diving.

I was on the surface in its patrol route, and I was the only one not wearing a suit. I think it just wanted me out of the way.

The drills went well. The kid was a bit skittish around the bigger fish (the fish are big!), but he got over that. He needs some more work on bouyancy, maybe a pound or two more of weight until he gets it down.

With my ABS plate, knife, and scissors, I am neutral with an empty (200psi) Faber LP120, and happily negative with an empty HP80.

Very nice.

Peter Doege

PS. No permanent damage from the turtle, just a bit of redness.
PSS. Those loggerheads can put on a squeeze.

That's funny!

Took my son to the aquarium today & there were a couple of divers in one of the tanks. One of the big loggerheads came up behind one of the divers as he was working & kept trying to bite his butt too!!

I'm sure it's not fun for the diver at the time, but it kept some of us amused..:wink:

I seemed to have caught one of the turtles interest when I did my check-out dives there in July. Just got on the bottom and was watching the instructor giving instructions on the drills we were going to do when he pointed at me about the same time one of the loggerhead slapped me in the back of the head with its fin! :lol: When I moved away I noticed that I had inadvertently landed on a piece of fish that they were feeding just a half-hour before we got in the aquarium. Guess I got a crash course in turtle table manners! :)

but not turtle butt! Glad to see you coming out of your shell Peter! Sorry the turtle took a "crack" at you! Would you say he butted into your conversation? Just a gluteous for punishment I am sure! OK, OK... this is the end. :moon: :tease:

Certainly unexpected.

The loggerheads feed on crustaceans, so he could have really put a hurt on me if he wanted to.

Just a little bit of dominance behavior. I've had them kick me and bowl me over before. Nothing aggressive, it is their tank and they know it :)

Netdoc: Funny as always, got a grin out of that!

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom