Turtle Alley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thats on the mainland. check with the playa op
I tried that. The Op took us diving - guess he forgot what I asked for.

It can be done from Coz if the channel is smooth. I too would like to know if anyone has lately? Did it once and it was great...!

Four years ago, the last time we were in Cozumel, we heard about this dive and it sounded great to do. We could not get the dive op we were with at the time to do it. I found out later Dive Paradise did this dive. I contacted them this week about it, but they said they do not do that dive anymore. I am trying to find out who in Cozumel does this dive and maybe this time, we can make arrangements ahead of time to do this dive as long as the conditions permit

aka Tortugas ???

Although not this year, I have done this many times with both Blue Angel and Living Underwater and will go anytime it's offered. Conditions must be OK for the crossing; lots of people get seasick (I'm not one of them). Have had bullsharks join us twice. It's a fun dive, especially if you can do it when the tarpon are there in the summer. Regardless of normal ascent plans, both ops specified that everyone ascended together on these dives. It's about 60 feet with a rubble bottom; due to the very square profile, you'll have better bottom time if everyone on the boat is using nitrox.

I heard Coz dive ops stopped going there for some reason. When I was last down in June, Living Underwater was talking about going over, pending appropriate weather.

Last edited:
We've done it a couple of times. Nice dive, saw a few turtles, lots of huge tarpon and a bull shark on one of the trips. We use Dive With Martin. So far, that's the closest we've made it to the mainland :D We've probably been to Cozumel 30 times and just never seem to make it over. :idk:

No one is going to cross from Coz to PDC in a dive boat unless the channel is really smooth, I don't think.

We did this in September 2008 it was amazing. We hired a private boat for fishing and diving, Mestizo Divers (Scuba Diving in Cozumel with Mestizo Divers - Cozumel) with Freddy Contreras. We always do private boats so we can do what we want and go where we want. On this trip the divers were myself, husband and daughter. Our daughters husband doesn't dive so we made it a combo trip, 2 dives and then fishing. It cost more than just setting up a dive trip, but it is vacation and our philosophy that if we can't afford it we shouldn't be vactioning :blinking:

Attachments

• September 2008 turtle.jpg
    September 2008 turtle.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 36
  • September 2008 turtle and Freddy.jpg
    September 2008 turtle and Freddy.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 33

Back
Top Bottom