Trip Report Turquoise Bay Resort, Subway Water Sports, Bent in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad your wife is doing well!

Any idea why she got bent?

Any modifications to her dive profile in the future?

Nothing obvious. She drinks lots of water, dive profiles were within all rec limits. No rapid ascent, we always do an extra long safety stop, we followed every rule I know. I redid her computer information and her dives were 82/81/and 74 feet. with the last 2/3 of the dive much shallower for average depths of 47/43/and 39 feet off my computer. Dive times were 56/65/ and 62 minutes. We are looking for a follow-up physician and have names from both Duke Dive Medicine as well as DAN. The biggest change on this trip was we were not diving nitrox. She will be on nitrox from now on, but as far as other modifications, we will work with the doc to see if there is a reason she got hit.

Jay

Glad to hear that your wife is okay and that the response from TBR staff was on point. I know the fellows who took care of you and they are consummate pros. Definitely a scary experience but at least it had a good ending. Thanks for posting this excellent report.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

The website lists a fridge in the oceanview rooms but not mentioned in garden or hillside. Are you saying they are in all rooms?

"The resort switches from island power to generator at 5 pm and 10pm" I can't make sense of this, sorry. Is there a typo? It would seem odd to switch twice so close apart, and no mention of switching back times.

Have you ever tried bookong offsite activities on your own? We've stayed at AKR three times and have always had good experiences offsite at bars, restaurants, ziplines, etc. I'd say the lesson here is to avoid anything set up through staff and quite frankly, many of your expereiences reek of an outright scam.

How were the food options? AKR would always have a poultry, beef, and seafood entree to choose from.

Is there an onsite or nearby store? My partner has probably not gone to bed before midnight since she was a kid. The bar and restaurant are closed at 10pm, right? Isn't there a bar on the beach plus the one in the main building?

Where is this resort map I saw mentioned? I scoured their website and googled but can't find anything that shows a lot of detail much less room numbers. Or are you going off memory or something they give you onsite?

Is the beach entry soft sand or rocky? In other words, do you need beach shoes or is barefoot ok?

Were Oklahomans and have never met a stranger.....

“I never met a man I didn't like.“

Will Rogers, iconic Oklahoman, American stage and film actor, vaudeville performer, cowboy, humorist, newspaper columnist, and social commentator (1879-1935)

In re TBR, my all-time favorite bestest Roatan DM was hooked-up there, Osman Gomez. Is he still there with Subway?

I met him when he was 4 years old and he taught me a whole lot about diving. (He’s a grandpa now)

Did you have Osman as a DM?

We stayed in #4, it was very good.

@Doc It appears Osman is still with Subway Our Staff | Turquoise Bay Dive Resort (turquoisebayresort.com) It looks like his son is there too. Our boat captain was Pedro, a very nice man. My wife and I took an island tour with him on on last, non-diving, afternoon. He showed us the small town where he grew up and still lives, as well as many island highlights

Reactions: Doc
That is new, the last time I went through ATL, with Delta Dec 2020, they had a specific area for Global Entry.

That better be temporary, I don't pay for GE to stand in line.

There are plenty of Global Entry kiosks in Atlanta, and I used one and the Global Entry line last week (8/25). Not sure what Jay is referring to.

I found this on a google search several months back.

Thanks. I was able to find it now on google with the addition of the magic words "property map". It's on resortmaps.com which is a handy resource to similar maps for many other dive resorts across the Caribbean.

We stayed in #8, it was very good.

What room class is that? Did you have a fridge? Did you experience daily power transfers from island to generator that required AC resets?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom