Turneffe Islands Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just booked my flights for January. Now I need to decide which room type. Recommendations?

Last time I dived Belize was about 20 years ago. Stayed on Caulker. No planes or cars there at the time, most of the places to stay had little or no electricity (I guess things have changed a little there since, eh? :wink:). Did an overnight trip out to the Blue Hole (REALLY heavy swells on the way out, everybody except me lost their lunch repeatedly). I suspect things out there have *not* changed much (except I bet there are more divers in the water...).

One question: I'm going to have the better part of a day to kill at the airport (BZE) on the way back (coming from a quick side-trip to Tikal, after diving, and before heading back on the flight home). I recall that back when I was there, Belize City was not exactly the most attractive town I've been to (trying to say that nicely). Our puddle-jumper from Tikal will drop us at the airport around 9:15 am, and our flight back to the US doesn't leave until almost 5 pm. We could spend the day stuck in the airport, but I've gotta think there's a better way to spend 5 or 6 hours around there. Any ideas?

Thanks.

The zoo. Contact William of Belize shuttles. The zoo is probably a half hour drive BZE. The zoo is not like any zoo I have ever seen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The Zoo would be a really good choice.

You'll have time to do even more if you wish. You might consider cave tubing and/or zip lining, located together and just a few minutes drive from the Zoo. Or visit the Community Baboon Sanctuary to see how Belizeans are taking care of their Baboons (we call them Howler Monkeys). It's about halfway from the Zoo to the airport. And finally, there's the Mayan ruins of Altun Ha. Very close to the airport off the Northern Highway.

You could easily do any two of the above plus lunch and still be at the airport by three. There are private showers at the cave tubing site, so you could switch into dry clothes and bag your wet ones. And there's a great place for lunch just past the Zoo on the other side of the highway, can't remember what it's called off hand (Cousins?) but your guide will know.

I'd rather do almost anything than sit in an airport for five or six hours, especially in a foreign country where there's so much to see and do.

Also, on the Zoo side of Hattiesville is a very good roadside stand if you like stewed chicken, rice and beans.

IMG_0939.jpg

Last edited:
The restaurant at the zoo wasn't bad. I do not recall if they had anything other than Stew chicken rice and beans, but it was quite good and really cheap. WAY Better than the restaurant upstairs at the airport. A friend thinks she got cingueterra at the restaurant at the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom