Turks and Caicos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robz

Registered
Reaction score
I will be diving with Caicos Adventures in mid may and I was wondering if anybody knew what the avg. water temperatures were around then? We were there in late Oct. and the water temps were in the low 80's, and I just wondered if it would be any cooler. Has anybody heard of thimble jellyfish (sea lice) around this time?
Lastly, can anyone recommend a good car rental agency there?

I was just there end of Feb and the water temp was around 79. It felt cold to me though... Caicos adventures is great, you'll have a good time with them.

When I was there last May, there were thimble jellies. They did not bother us. I don't recall the water temp but I recall being comfortable even on a dive without a 3 mil wetsuit.

I rented from Rent a Buggy and they were fine. Make sure you get a 4WD if you intend to head for Malcolm Roads. You can find them at: http://www.turksandcaicos.tc/Autos/ Good luck and good diving.

May and early June are the big "season" for thimble jelly larvae (currently the most sensationalized form of sea lice) in the Caribbean. I wouldn't let it affect your trip plans however unless you're wicked allergic.

There should be threads on the board about ways to deal with these things... I remember posting about it last month. Try the medical forum.

The latter part of May is usually when you will run into them. I am going there 5/1-5/8 and don't expect them yet. Donna at Caicos Adventures can tell you when they will be there.

Have Fun!!!

Where would you recommend to stay in Turks and Caicos? I'd prefer All-Inclusive but it doesn't have to be A.I. (doesn't have to include the diving though because I probably won't dive with the resort dive company). I'd want to be on the side of the Island where the best diving is. Thanks, Pam

There are no resorts that I know of on the south side of the island. The better dive ops leave from the south dock because it is closer to the best diving on French Cay and West Caicos. The resorts are generally all on Grace Bay which is on the north side of the island. The diving in Grace Bay is mediocre at best and a complete waste of time considering the other diving available in the area. If you want to stay in some modest accommodations within walking distance of the south dive dock check out Back of Beyond. Its clean, relatively inexpensive and the food is not too bad. We checked it out for dinner one night and my kids still talk about it. You can find them at: http://www.backofbeyond.tc/ Plan on renting a car to get around as it is rather isolated (ten minute drive over bumpy roads to get to the market, 15 minutes to the north side). Good luck and let me know if I can help!

pm3009:
Where would you recommend to stay in Turks and Caicos? I'd prefer All-Inclusive but it doesn't have to be A.I. (doesn't have to include the diving though because I probably won't dive with the resort dive company). I'd want to be on the side of the Island where the best diving is. Thanks, Pam
Pam, why dont you go with our group in July! Water will be warm and calm then and we are a fun group. We have a few spots left on the Turks and Caicos Explorer II.
$1595 for a single and that includes all your food, drinks, diving and accommodations...also FREE NITROX on the cruise! I have another single gal coming in from CT that you could room with. Each cabin has a private bathroom and the boat has alot of gathering areas and believe me you only sleep and change clothes in your cabin. If you have not done a liveaboard yet this is the best way to dive! It is also the easiest diving you will ever do. For diving in Turks and Caicos, this is the way to do it. You will get to go to French Cay, the walls of West Caicos, and Provo's northwest point. You wont be limited to Provo only near all the hotels.
Food is really expensive on the island and remember all your meals, snacks, and drinks are included. We just went on the Caribbean Explorer II and after night dives they had warm water to run down our wetsuits and coco to drink, not to mention the warm towels to dry off with! Liveaboards are the best way to vacation. You have time to relax and dive all you want! The website to the boat is www.explorerventures.com
Take a look at it and email me at dianedarcy@hotmail.com

We were there at the end of May last year and dove in a 3 mil and I was still a bit cool. We dove for 6 days and don't recall running into the thimbles but we heard they were around....I guess we got lucky. You will love Fifi!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom