Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

Just got back from diving T&C October 15-22 2016 ( two tank dives on October 17,18,19 2016). I stayed at Club Med and used the info from scubaboard to decide who to dive with. the two big winners was Caicos Adventures and Dive Provo.

Here is my 2 cents on the subject:

When I called Caicos Adventures they said they will not guarantee my dives even if I pay in advance and travel thousands of miles to get there. (turns out my friend used them years ago and was not impressed) they said if they don't have enough sign up they don't go.

Dive Provo said if I'm the only one that shows up then it is me and the dive master for a private dive. (they had so many people they had two boats going out on each of my three days of diving and it's off season in October)

IMPORTANT: from shore, all dive sites are about 1 hours boat ride from dock to reef. This is obviously why live aboards are so popular and it makes sense to book a live aboard if you want a lot of diving. I think the beaches and the land are beautiful and I will probably go back for a live aboard on a future trip but it would be a successful trip if you stay on land. When staying at Club Med and waiting for my pick up ride there was a couple waiting to be picked up by their dive shop, Provo Turtle Divers, the couple dove with them before and was on their way to dive with them again. (i think if you are repeat customer you are saying a lot)

AND HERE'S WHAT I FOUND OUT THAT WILL HOPEFULLY HELP YOU: While riding the hour to and from the reef, I picked the brain of our captain and dive masters. Here's what they said. Club Med's dive shop is a third party company and not Club Med owned as mentioned in posts from years ago. BUT.... they only visit close by reefs. North Point. and closer. they do not go to French Cay and West Caicos (some of my best dives) Possibly why Caicos Adventures only takes large groups is because they have a beautiful dive catamaran and it wouldn't make sense to take out such a large boat for a few people. There are several small operations that have very small boats and can't operate off season. The captain said these are small dive boats that take 6-8 people out. (sounds like fun) Dive Provo has been in operation for a long time and by the experience of the dive masters and the quality of the boats they have a great operation. I'm glad I went with them. I could safely say if I go back and don't use a live aboard I would use them again.

I hope this helps someone like you guys helped me.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom