Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trevormclay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone, I started a blog to share my thoughts and experiences of certain dive sites I've travelled to all over the world. This is a on going blog so if you like what you read there will be updates every few days (unless travelling). I currently have 30 more dive sites to talk. 4 in Turks and Caicos and 26 in GBR & Ribbon Reefs. I love underwater photography and have decided to really work at improving myself. I have made mistakes (you can read in the blog) with flash (on/off) as well as simple positioning. I am a work in progress but I know I will improve.

Take a read if you like, comment, email or message me here if want. If I haven't answered something you want to know please let me know and I will hopefully be able to.

Trevor McLay Underwater Blog

One suggestion, you could add some more details about the dive op you used and why you picked them, otherwise looks good, nice shots!
Thank you for your input, I did a quick overview on why I chose Dive Provo for these dives compared to competitors in a previous post but I will talk more the companies in future posts (comparing Dive Provo to Caicos Adventures). Your suggestion is very helpful !

From one of his blog entries:

"Hello everyone, I just got back from a week long stay in Turks and Caicos and was lucky enough to get 3 days of diving with Dive Provo. I used Caicos Adventures for my certification last year but this year the people I was diving with wanted to see how other companies on the island operated (as this is a yearly destination for my family). Dive Provo was a great experience and I highly recommend them for any divers in the Turks and Caicos. Very friendly and approachable people who have years of experience on the island as well as diving. My mother, brothers fiancée and my friend were getting certified while my brother and I have been certified for years we were able to be on the same boat and experience their reactions while doing the surface interval. It was really something hearing the excitement and passion from everyone after explaining for the past year why they should be certified!. The certification process through Dive Provo was impressively in-depth including 4 hours of pool time the day before and a maximum of 4 students per group unless previously discussed."

Judging a written account of something requires considering the intended audience and intended message. At a glance, seems like a focus here on the diver's 1st hand experience of photographing subjects at specific dive sites.

My suggestions aim to address the desires of people who might hope to use your thread to research whether to pick Turks & Caicos as a destination, and who there to use if they do. You might not be out to meet that need, so take this for what it is or isn't worth. My suggestions:

1.) Give a summary of the destination; many people won't read the nitty gritty details, and a given dive site will vary a lot over time. Even if I someday dive your sites, I won't be doing your dives. Better yet, post the summary in your thread; some people want the bottom line here & now, not to go off reading lots of detail on another site.

2.) Why'd you pick Turks & Caicos over alternatives? This is a yearly destination for your family, you only dove 3 days this time, and not all of them had been certified divers, so I'm guessing T&C wasn't just chosen as a dive destination. Why does your family pick it? What else do they do?

3.) Turks & Caicos is one of those destinations where I see live-aboard diving recommended to get the best diving experience. Have you don't a live-aboard? If you did one here, would you consider yourself to be missing out on much vs. a land experience?

Richard.

From one of his blog entries:

"Hello everyone, I just got back from a week long stay in Turks and Caicos and was lucky enough to get 3 days of diving with Dive Provo. I used Caicos Adventures for my certification last year but this year the people I was diving with wanted to see how other companies on the island operated (as this is a yearly destination for my family). Dive Provo was a great experience and I highly recommend them for any divers in the Turks and Caicos. Very friendly and approachable people who have years of experience on the island as well as diving. My mother, brothers fiancée and my friend were getting certified while my brother and I have been certified for years we were able to be on the same boat and experience their reactions while doing the surface interval. It was really something hearing the excitement and passion from everyone after explaining for the past year why they should be certified!. The certification process through Dive Provo was impressively in-depth including 4 hours of pool time the day before and a maximum of 4 students per group unless previously discussed."

Judging a written account of something requires considering the intended audience and intended message. At a glance, seems like a focus here on the diver's 1st hand experience of photographing subjects at specific dive sites.

My suggestions aim to address the desires of people who might hope to use your thread to research whether to pick Turks & Caicos as a destination, and who there to use if they do. You might not be out to meet that need, so take this for what it is or isn't worth. My suggestions:

1.) Give a summary of the destination; many people won't read the nitty gritty details, and a given dive site will vary a lot over time. Even if I someday dive your sites, I won't be doing your dives. Better yet, post the summary in your thread; some people want the bottom line here & now, not to go off reading lots of detail on another site.

2.) Why'd you pick Turks & Caicos over alternatives? This is a yearly destination for your family, you only dove 3 days this time, and not all of them had been certified divers, so I'm guessing T&C wasn't just chosen as a dive destination. Why does your family pick it? What else do they do?

3.) Turks & Caicos is one of those destinations where I see live-aboard diving recommended to get the best diving experience. Have you don't a live-aboard? If you did one here, would you consider yourself to be missing out on much vs. a land experience?

Richard.
Hello Richard, Thank you for your comment. As this is a new blog and something I am doing for myself as well to let others know of the certain dive sites. I am very happy you took the time to about the blog and many of the points you made are very valid and something I will work on! I also want to answer some of the points you made above 1) I was planning on doing a total overview of the destination once the individual dive sites were completed. But your point of posting a short summary here is a very good one and something I will start doing. As well though Dive Provo using smaller boats it allowed us to speak to the captain and ask about going to certain sites and that is why I thought including more detail would be better because it provides readers/divers the opportunity to suggest something they have read or seen on youtube.

2) My parents have a time share there for 2 weeks every March, so it wasn't a dive vacation as much as a vacation that allowed for nice diving. My 3 days of diving (6 dives) were completely certified dives as I have been certified for the past year and a bit now. The confusion probably arose due to the fact I mentioned that people I was on the trip with were getting certified. But you are correct it wasn't solely based on the diving why we went. Actually it has to due with having direct 4 hour flights from Toronto, being a very very safe island (probably the safest of the Caribbean), amazing food, Grace Bay beach is #1 beach in the world and that the water is so clear (70-100ft viabilityavg)

3) I haven't done a live aboard there but I have heard great things about the Aggressor that runs out of Grand Turk. I actually don't see Turks as a destination that is very beneficial of a Live aboard unless you wanted to dive 4-5 times a day but you would be missing out on amazing food, amazing beaches. The wall in some places is as close as a 20 minute boat ride and as far as 1 hour 15mins (if weather is good).

I hope this answers some of your questions. I will take your feedback and use it in further postings. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed comment it was very helpful.

Thanks for the follow up info. Both Aggressor fleet and Explorer Ventures each have a live-aboard in that area, and I see good things posted about both. I haven't been there, but it's on my bucket list.

Richard.

Trevor, I'm going to disagree with your assessment of choosing between diving from shore or diving from an lob at Turks and Caicos. After you've been diving a lot longer, you'll be surprised to find you agree.

That said, I'm going to agree with your premise regarding staying on any island that has the opportunity for great food and socializing and atmosphere. :)

Trevor, I'm going to disagree with your assessment of choosing between diving from shore or diving from an lob at Turks and Caicos. After you've been diving a lot longer, you'll be surprised to find you agree.

That said, I'm going to agree with your premise regarding staying on any island that has the opportunity for great food and socializing and atmosphere. :)
I 100% agree if you were going to this area strictly for diving a LOB is the way to do it, OR another option is at least going to Grand Turk because the wall is much closer. I do feel the boat charters provide a great experience for people who maybe want to do 3-4 days of diving (7 day trip) while enjoying other amenities the island has to offer. But based on the reviews of others the LOB's in the area are fantastic diving trips and something I one day might do. But the food on the island is outstanding with Coco Bistro, Bay Bistro having the best lobster I've ever had. If I was to come strictly for diving I would use a LOB since I would want to dive more than 2 times a day. but I feel I would be missing out on some of the luxury Turks and Caicos has to offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom