Turks and Caicos is ON!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello UberDave, hope you had a splendid trip! Would really like to hear your report and experience!

I just finished a great week (Aug 29 - Sep 5) on the Turks & Caicos Explorer II liveaboard. Travel was smooth, diving and weather were ideal, and I was impressed with the professionalism of the crew in these strange, covid times we're all living in. I'm happy to answer any questions!

@Jase Carter I'll be going in October- how many people were on your boat? What was the water temp? Any other tips you have for a liveaboard first-timer?
I have a couple tips from the time I was on the Turks & Caicos Explorer. They are not COVID-19 related but they might be useful:

1. The boat is not fancy. Your trip will not be on a 5-Star luxury yacht. It is, however, very welcoming. The main salon will quickly feel like your own Living Room and you will be totally comfortable in it. Similarly, the crew will quickly become like your own extended somewhat offbeat family.

2. The boat swings. Don't fight it, you won't win. When tied up to a mooring, the boat will swing on the mooring - a lot. There are many reasons for this, and frankly the reasons don't matter. Just be aware of it because it has the potential to surprise you. If you start your safety stop under the boat, it likely won't be there when you come up. Don't worry about it. It will be back in a couple minutes. There are a few things that you can do to overcome this. One of those is to grab onto of the ropes that the crew throws overboard specifically for this reason & go along for the ride (see my photo on post 6 on this thread). :) Another option is to end your dives at the mooring line which does not swing nearly as much.

3. Dives off of the Turks & Caicos Explorer tend to be very "sharky". You will likely see Caribbean Reef Sharks every day and on some days, don't be surprised if you see them every dive. This was the highlight of my trip. They are often quite curious and will come over to say "Hi".

4. Finally, when I did my trip, it was October time frame and the water temps were in the mid 80s

I hope that helps. Have a great trip.

I have a couple tips from the time I was on the Turks & Caicos Explorer. They are not COVID-19 related but they might be useful:

I hope that helps. Have a great trip.

@Hoag yes these are very helpful tips! Thanks so much! Mid-80s sounds like the perfect temp and I'm looking forward to seeing all the sharks!

@Hoag yes these are very helpful tips! Thanks so much! Mid-80s sounds like the perfect temp and I'm looking forward to seeing all the sharks!

It was my first liveaboard, also, and I think the Turks & Caicos Explorer was a good fit for me. My general liveaboard advice is to look at previous Scubabaord threads and blog posts with packing lists and other tips. The highlights would be:

1) try to stay warm - the cabins and other indoor areas of the boat will be very cold and I'm glad I brought a heavy hoodie. High volume diving is taxing mainly because of the heat your body is trying to produce to compensate for heat loss during dives. I'm not a "laying out" person but I also found it helpful to get 20 minutes of sun on the deck once a day. Also, the water temperature was very warm (usually low 80s) so my warm 3/2 full wetsuit was just too much and I was glad that I had other thinner thermal layers as an option. However, I still think it was wise to bring the full wetsuit, as it's likely better to err on the side of too warm than too cold. My 3mm tech shorts, and combination of 1mm hooded vest and long sleeve shirt ended up being what I used most often.

2) try to stay dry - I always tried to change right away after dives into dry clothing to help me stay warm and also to help my skin. Being wet all day for days on end can cause other skin issues and irritations. I suggest bringing a lot of swimsuits or undergarments so you can always change into dry clothes right after a dive, while other swimsuits are drying. I brought only three t-shirts (I could have done with two) but brought a lot of shorts and underwear. The other woman on the trip had some very light dresses that seemed to be pretty versatile for her.

3) think about bringing a GoPro or other underwater camera - I wasn't going to bring anything to record but bought a GoPro the last minute and I'm glad I did, but I'm glad I didn't bring my laptop

4) think of any physical or mechanical problems that could prevent you from diving or enjoying your dive, and research the best way to prevent them. This is vague but an example for me is that I usually get bad blisters/wounds on my middle toes from fins. I did some research and bought lycra socks and some silicone toe sleeves and I didn't have a single issue all week. I couldn't believe it. Similar to issues with swimmer's ear, dehydration, computer batteries, etc.

We only had five passengers and five crew. That is not typical. Normally there are more passengers but covid is hurting the liveaboard business. I wouldn't be surprised if your trip also had fewer divers than usual. Personally, I liked having fewer people because there was more space for gear and I never felt crowded. I was a single diver, so it would have been nice to have a couple more people to socialize with but I'm very happy with how everything turned out.

Any other questions?

Hi Jase,

I had a great time on the Explorer! Jase was my dive partner on most of the dives. Jase is right about the AC in the boat is absolutely freezing but it’s not a bad thing it made for great sleeping in the cabins. There were 5 guests on the boat along with 5 crew and all the guest had their own cabins. Extremely professional crew I was very impressed. Jo, who led most of the dives, gave very detailed briefings before each dive. Sharks on every dive!

Stan the Chef provided descent meals and snacks all week. The crew was constantly disinfecting and cleaning all week as well. Heather, the Purser, took everyone’s temperature and oxygen absorption rate twice a day, morning and at night. The crew also wore masks while indoors and requested the guest do as well but by Tuesday, Wednesday it got kind of laxed. One thing I found real fun was the boat would make these 180-degree swings on the mooring in the breeze and you can time yourself while doing a 3-minute safety stop to catch it in mid swing. If you wanna have some real fun catch the hang lines and hold on tight cause at times the boat really moves.

I thought the cabins were nice. Had a shower with plenty of hot water. I slept great all week on a single bed. Couldn't ask for a better week. Normally we would have to be off the boat by 9am on Saturday but they didn't have a trip so we all stayed on board for a while longer. To kill some time before leaving the guest and crew all went to brunch which was nice way to end the week.

I should add arriving on Saturday was hassle free. I was the first person off the plane and first in line at immigration. I would suggest to bring hard copies of all your paper work (Covid test, Insurance, Permission Slip) because they will ask for them. Hard copies just made it quicker instead of fumbling with your phone.

Leaving was about the same. Very few people going through customs. I had paid for TCI Fastrack (70$) to avoid long wait times but it was a waste of money. Again, very few people and very little wait times. Just a heads up you have to call ahead to have someone meet you at the airport to walk you through if you purchased TCI Fast Track. You’re not told this until you have already paid…so FYI…just be aware.

Would I go again? Absolutely!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom