Turbosole vs rockboots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavemanScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to decide between these options....and even the tecturbo. I think I am going to order a new CF200, My current suit has hard boots on it (and I wish DUI would offer something like that) so I have fins that will work with the larger foot pockets. The issue I have seen is that when you wear turbo soles, your fin strap can slip down and lodge in between the actual sole and your foot. Does the tecturbo fix this issue? Having a "solid heel" would seem to remedy this, but the tecturbo is just kevlar in that area. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks-

I've had them both. Never had a fin strap slip down with the turbos. They are faster to don but hard to dry as you can't turn them inside out (all the way). Rock boots take more time to put on and take off + replacement costs is $100 +/-. You can turn the entire suit inside out to dry with the rock boots. You can also buy the suit with just the socks (& not rock boots) and use any shoe you like (street shoes, neoprene boots, etc.)

I'm going to see if I can get Faith Ortins to reply to this post. I have not used the TurboTec boots yet.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

OK I have additional feedback -

As your question actually contains multiple questions, I'd like to answer them separately and completely as possible. These answers come from 50 years of experience in working with divers all over the world and designing and manufacturing drysuits.

1. Hard boots - DUI has used hard boots in the past and it was always on our lower-end suits due to cost. These cost less than the boots we use now. The reason we do not use the hard boots is there is no way to turn them inside out to seal them properly. And should you get a leak in the boot, again, you can't turn them inside out to repair them. So to us, hard sole boots are not an acceptable option as we cannot ensure them to be dry.

2. Fins with a larger foot pocket work GREAT with RockBoots. We created RockBoots as it provided divers with better traction, durability and excellent ankle support. If you have a fin with a bigger foot pocket and want those features, you might want to try the RockBoots. About 50% of our divers choose RockBoots.

3. TurboBoots and TurboTec boots - you mentioned the fin strap slipping down. While that does happen occasionally, it is usually due to a poorly fitting boot and/or fin. It is the exception and not the rule. We created the TurboTec boot as there were some divers - mostly technical divers - who really like the ankle flexibility of the TurboBoot but wanted more durability. So we created the TurboTec boot with Kevlar reinforcements around the toe, upper part of the foot (where the top of the fin hits) and the heel. At first we tried to cover the entire boot but that made it stiff and hard to get your foot in and out. Divers who like the TurboBoot (and TurboTec) like that boot because it allows them to wear a smaller foot pocket fin but mostly because of the ankle flexibility.

There is no "silver bullet" when it comes to the boot - you need to decide what are the most important features for you and go that route. A suggestion on a new suit - if you are unsure, get the RockBoots. This is where you have a sock attached to the suit and you wear the RockBoots over the top. If you get these and give it a good try (5-6 dives minimum) and you don't like it, DUI can install a TurboBoot sole and ankle strap on the suit. A pretty easy fix. But if you get the TurboBoots and decide you don't like them, the only way to go to a RockBoot is to cut off the boot and install a new one.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, the best thing to do would be to call our Customer Support Team (Support@DUI-Online.com) so you can have a two-way dialog. We love to talk to and help divers! (800)325-8439.

I have a suit with TurboTec boots, and I absolutely love them. I have had two DUI suits in the past with rock boots and I think the TurboTec is much preferable. It is more comfortable, faster to put on and take off, and I have two less things to worry about losing. Also, I can wear size XXL Jet Fins with the TurboTec boots, but that won't work with the rock boots. The downside is that it is difficult, if not impossible, to turn the leg inside out in order to dry the suit or possibly to fix a leak. The one caveat I would offer is that the DUI size chart tends to push people into a larger size TurboTec boot than they should get. I wear size 10-1/2 or 11 shoes, and my TurboTec boots are a simple "L". The size chart would have me get a "XL", which would be too large. I wear two pair of thin wool socks inside a thinsulate bootie, and the TurboTec boot fits perfectly.

Hi zf2nt -

This is Kathy with DUI - Diving Unlimited. Thanks for the feedback on the TurboTec boots. These are fast becoming a favorite. I sent along your comments to the office. It's great to get this type of information on the sizing.

Thank you!!!

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom