Tungsten Carbide wedding bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My fiancee and I have been looking at wedding bands and while she has a very clear idea of what she wants, I have been struggling. I like the look of the tungsten carbide rings best, but I have concerns about finger injuries turning into amputations due to the difficulty in removing rings made out of such a hard metal. I have heard and read mixed things from different sources including the Internet.

I've read that most hospitals can remove them, but jewelers have told me the exact opposite. I also understand that tungsten can be shattered with a sharp blow or a pair of vice grips. One site I saw claimed that most ring-finger injuries were a result of the ring pinching down on the finger, which would not happen with tungsten (or titanium).

Does anyone have any anecdotes or facts to sway me one way or the other? I really like the way tungsten looks, but I also want to keep my fingers. :D

I went with white gold myself, but a friend who's getting married soon is getting one of the coolest rings I've seen, made of folded precious metals so it has a woodlike "grain" that looks similar to Damascus steel.

My advice in general is to remove your ring if you're going to be working around things likely to crush your finger.

I originally wanted a hard metal but hubby bought me gold once he considered the possibility of injury from a ring that cannot easily be cut. His decision was a good one, I have broken my ring (it's actually sold as an anniversary band not a wedding ring) on more than one occasion. The cost of repair is MUCH less than the price of a lost finger. I tend to get stuff caught under my ring or caught on it.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
I originally wanted a hard metal but hubby bought me gold once he considered the possibility of injury from a ring that cannot easily be cut. His decision was a good one, I have broken my ring (it's actually sold as an anniversary band not a wedding ring) on more than one occasion. The cost of repair is MUCH less than the price of a lost finger. I tend to get stuff caught under my ring or caught on it.
Ber :lilbunny:

Would the ring have broken if it were a hard metal?

Get it tattooed on !!!! :D

the K

Soggy:
Assuming that you have gloves on, do you dive with your ring? One of my buddies does, another couple do not.
I do, but I often take it off if I'm going in the water without gloves.

Brian and I went for Platinum. When we were looking at rings a jeweller suggested getting a second, inexpensive pair for use when diving and stuff. It was great advice. We bought a couple of plain white gold bands to wear when we are off doing fun things. Neither of us wears our rings when actually diving (even the inexpensive ones).

Katie is getting platinum to match her engagement ring. I'm too cheap to get platinum for myself. :)

Really, the reason why I'm interested in tungsten is that I like the look so much. I also am partial to titanium, but that has a similar problem as tungsten in the difficult of removing arena.

it's funny, now that i think about it, i haven't taken off my wedding ring since my wedding, back in 1999

it's never given me any trouble

Back
Top Bottom