Tuesday pickie - A Room With A View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a flagon, SeaMermaid, is "a large vessel, usually of metal or pottery, with a handle and spout and often a lid, used for holding wine or other liquors" according to dictionary.com

Dee -

A1: 33C is 92F

A2: You've never heard of Pimms? Shame on you! It is a classic British drink!!! It is a spirit based on gin that you mix with lemonade (and if you are a serial lush like me, a few other secret ingredients), and chuck in mint or borage leaves, sliced cucumber, apple, lots of ice. Of course you must have the obligatory mini parasol and plastic dolphin cocktail stirer to give it that authentic look!

A3: Well we live in an oast house. In the good old days before Tony Blair destroyed agriculture in this country they used to dry hops for the brewing industry in them. The smoke went up the circular roof and through the white thing, which is called the cowl. It was able to rotate on runners so that it turned with the curved bit into the wind, allowing the smoke to rise from the hole within. Because we have such tall chimneys on our house the cowwl is now fixed in postition, with a sheet of glass over the openeing (which you can't see) so that birds don't nest in their and dump all over the place. In fact we had to have the cowl specially made as it did not exist when we bought the place, and had a blooming great crane brought in to lift it into place.

Most oast houses in the UK are now homes, but there are a few working ones at farm museums, or are just used as general farm buildings. it is a classic edifice in our neck of the woods.

So, when you coming to visit?

How cool is that?!?! How old is your oast house? One of the reasons I want to see the English countryside is to see some of the centuries old cottages and houses.

One of these days, I just might turn up on your doorstep!

as an oast in about 1830, but has been a house house since about 1920.

Our first house, was built in ther 15th century, before Columbus sailed the ocean blue...

Phone before you turn up, Dee. We might be away!

That is so cool!

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
Dee -

A1: 33C is 92F

A2: You've never heard of Pimms? Shame on you! It is a classic British drink!!! It is a spirit based on gin that you mix with lemonade (and if you are a serial lush like me, a few other secret ingredients), and chuck in mint or borage leaves, sliced cucumber, apple, lots of ice. Of course you must have the obligatory mini parasol and plastic dolphin cocktail stirer to give it that authentic look!

Pimms (gin, red martini and vodka) tradditional drink and superb in the summer.

normally put fruit in a large pitcher (strawberries, apple's and anything else you like - mango is nice), along with cucumber and fresh mint, top up with stacks of ice and lemonade (sprite/7up) and add a large amount of pimms.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clive Francis once bubbled...
Pimms (gin, red martini and vodka) tradditional drink and superb in the summer.

normally put fruit in a large pitcher (strawberries, apple's and anything else you like - mango is nice), along with cucumber and fresh mint, top up with stacks of ice and lemonade (sprite/7up) and add a large amount of pimms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't that what I just said, Clive?

And anyway, Pimms #1 is gin based, #2 is vodka based....

Thought you might like this pic of England as well Dee...even if it was a little cold when I took it...unlike today !!

dsc00028.jpg

You should come and see the real England...this is a land of beautiful rolling hills, great villages and the essential english country pub. Avoid the usual tourist haunts of London, Stratford, Bath, etc and come and see all your friends from here :)

That snow looks real good right now with our 99º temp today! Like a picture postcard.

I'd love to come to England and see the real english countryside. Cottages with thatched roofs, the rolling hills with stone fences, have lunch in the village pub, ( or is that Ireland? :) )

why did you mention Pims - damn hard to find out here but I'll have to go looking now!!

We have similar temps out here but we have Air Con - could luck to you all back in Blighty, have a Pims for me and keep cool....

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom