Tubbataha Poaching update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Inaugarated" - is that what you call it?

Dammit, I have the perfect gif for this occasion, but I can absolutely guarantee it will get me banned again.

Better not, really...

Edit - off topic (but since when was that a problem?) anyone out there got Dennis' number? Mind PMing it to me?

shugar:
to be fair not "fugly" but she most definitely (IMHO) gets a capital "UG"

Jag

In other words you'd :idhitit:

no need to be coy now, Jag. You're amongst friends...

Divers here's a delayed update on the mameng release.

As you may have already read or seen in the news, the joint effort by the Tubbataha Management Office, BFAR, WWF and you – the generous and concerned private citizens, successfully transported and released 120 Mameng back into the pristine waters of Tubbataha.

We decided on a partial release this time around primarily because the main transport vessel, the King King Hai was deemed to be unfit for the voyage. It could have easily transported all the confiscated animals but its fish tanks and support equipment as well as the boat’s engines were in bad need of repair and servicing and we didn’t want to risk it.

As a counter measure, WWF and BFAR volunteered their boats. Although smaller and with no built-in fish tanks, they would be able to transport a few hundred fish to Tubbataha. BFAR experts recommended that the fish be transported using live-fish export technology – in oxygenated plastic bags; with the oxygen being replenished regularly during the voyage – and 150 fish were prepared accordingly. However, we noticed that soon after the fish were transferred on board the WWF boat that many of them were in distress. We immediately returned them to the sea cages, hoping they would be able recover. Despite valiant efforts by our volunteers and BFAR personnel – they stayed up all night – we lost a hundred Mameng.

One can trace the process backwards and clearly point out all the mistakes that were made. I’ve done that countless numbers of times since Monday night. Unfortunately, this was a first time experience for all us. And while the utmost care was taken to care and provide for the animals, not everything was within our control, the proper maintenance of the Chinese fishing boat being one of them. And when this first important piece of the process failed, this started a series of plan modifications that brought on their own share of unforeseen issues to deal with.

Bottom line, because we ultimately did find a reliable method of transporting and releasing the animals, albeit it at the painful loss of a hundred of them we can take consolation that another 120 Mameng now swim free and inhabit the reefs in Tubbataha. We also have a reliable plan to transport and release the remaining 130 Mameng and over a thousand Lapu lapu’s as well. I just received confirmation from John Wee’s Explorer Fleet via Yvette Lee and Geggy Choy who leads the Palausports Tubbataha trips that they will participate in the release of the animals. So we can look forward to completing the release of all the animals during the summer.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you for your generous support – not just financial, many of you provided much needed encouragement throughout this effort. I also ask you to join me in especially thanking Luli A, Gerthie Mayo-Anda, Angelique Songco, Marivel Dygico, Jarius Bondoc, Lory Tan, Art Yap, Director Sarmiento and all the volunteers whose support was vital to our project.

Maraming Salamat!

eduardo CU unjieng

Sorry for the delayed posting folks, i've been away. The release of the mamengs coincided with the transition trip to tubbataha via the Apo explorer on which I was on. I had brought a video camera with me and was able to film the release. How do I get it into U-Tube?

I had taken the video camera down for the first time in several days of diving. I was able to shoot a few seconds of a tiger shark...I thought at first it was a baby whaleshark. The video was off but I was able to turn it on an capture a few seconds before it detected my presence and moved away.

When I got to the surface and was back on the chase boat, the boatman said, Ma'am, may ibang liveaboard... i said that's not a live aboard, but a giant banca, probably WWF 's. Sure enough, the people waved and I asked the chaseboat to take me over . on board were Lory tan, jarius Bondoc, Dodo Cu Unjieng, Tubbataha park manager Angelique Songco , Luli Arroyo , Atty Asis .

The Bfar team was also there and they were the ones who stayed up all night to keep changing the water in the giant tubs where the fishes were whenever it would get too slimy. When the boat got into position, the wrasses were released in batches of 1-3. They were scooped up in nets and passed down to Lory and another Bfar staffer in the water.

Luli and Angelique were in the water and was able to take photos, while I passed the video on to Dodo.

we are looking forward to th erelease of not only th remaining mameng but also the other species that were caught by the Hoi wan.,

And it never ends:

ANOTHER poaching vessel was caught with 200 slaughtered animals (sharks and rays). This time the culprits were Vietnamese.

Is it time to really get mad? Or is it time to finally act?

Saddleback:
And it never ends:

ANOTHER poaching vessel was caught with 200 slaughtered animals (sharks and rays). This time the culprits were Vietnamese.

Is it time to really get mad? Or is it time to finally act?

problem is how. the justice secretary is way too concerned about "international relations"...i dislike him and it's at a personal level

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom