Tubbataha and?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

We're looking to go to Tubbataha in early April 2023. Since it's a long way from Denmark, and we can have up to 2 weeks I wanted to combine the LOB with some land based diving, but I'm unsure, where to go?

Something that's easy from Puerto Princesa or Manila - we have 5 days in total, but depending on which LOB we choose (any reviews on Infiniti? Other one is Discovery Palawan, seems like a very big boat, but ok reviews and might be best for the crossing) If we choose DP we will have 2,5 days either side of the LOB, which is a bit annoying... on the other hand, then we'll leave April 6th instead of 3rd, so a (very little) bit later in the season.

Is there any good diving close to PP - it would be great with some macro to complete the trip with all the walls...

Thanks

Head down to Anilao from Manila, April is usually a good month and a good selection of dive ops to choose from.

Thank you! I think then we have to go with Infiniti, to not have the land based par of the trip split up.
Who to stay with? Buceo? It looks good - but transfer is very pricy - how long time does it take to get there with private transfer?

but transfer is very pricy - how long time does it take to get there with private transfer?
Haven't been to Anilao since 2018, but it was generally USD100 one way.

I usually stay at Crystal Blue Resort.

Make sure all the papers are in order. No idea what would require comes next Apr.
Private transfer is always expensive. How about public transport(dirt cheap) as it is NOT difficult to arrange and endure?

This was pre-Covid:
White taxi from the airport to JAC terminal in Buendia was about P250.00. Yellow airport taxi is far more expensive.
If your domestic flight lands at T2 then the white taxi is outsdie the departure hall(those just drop off passengers)!!!
The white taxi stand at T3 is at the extreme end outside the arrival hall.

The picture of the JAC terminal which is next to a MacDonald.
Bus usually has NO board toilet so make sure your bladder is empty but the driver will stop on request!!
The blue Ceres bus or yellow Gold Star bus departs from the first outside row is usually every 30mins. Make sure the sign displays on the screen say: CALABARZON. Fare was P200.00 and AC can be cold.

Huge saving if taking public transfer.

There are many reputable resorts in Anilao but do read the small print on the charges for scuba diving.
CBR has all inclusive dive package(3 dives per day) but the transfer is US$115.00 each way.

Thank you for the links - it looks pretty straight forward - but is there room on the bus for large suitcases and dive bags?
When we did Malapascua I found a private driver in Cebu much cheaper - would that be a possibility from Manila?

but is there room on the bus for large suitcases and dive bags?
If there are two or more people traveling then the private transfer from the dive op will not only be more cost effective but more convenient too as it will be from collection point (airport/hotel) in Manila to the dive resort in Anilao, which is not so easy from a Manila bus station to a Batangas bus station.

Just my two Pesos worth.

Thank you for the links - it looks pretty straight forward - but is there room on the bus for large suitcases and dive bags?
When we did Malapascua I found a private driver in Cebu much cheaper - would that be a possibility from Manila?
USA$115.00 ~ P6,400.00. I am pretty sure any taxi will do it for a lot less but......I hate to deal with them.
Grab is an option.

1. It is NOT that straight forward if you have never done it before! However if you are a seasonal traveller than it is easy.
2. Luggage goes to storage compartment. Nothing to worry. The express bus usually makes only one stop at the turn off to Lipa City and quite a few passengers are getting on/off there. You can get off at the same time and make sure no one walks away with your belongings.
3. I am only suggesting a different approach to the transfer. It is your holiday afterall.
4. NO idea which Terminal you plane will land when first arrived from Denmark. Change the money at the airport. The money exchangers at the arrival hall in T3 is surprisingly very good(pre-Covid).
5. Tubbataha is the best in the country but the reef is huge so pelagic cannot be guaranteed. They are there.

Enjoy.

USA$115.00 ~ P6,400.00. I am pretty sure any taxi will do it for a lot less but......I hate to deal with them.
Grab is an option.

1. It is NOT that straight forward if you have never done it before! However if you are a seasonal traveller than it is easy.
2. Luggage goes to storage compartment. Nothing to worry. The express bus usually makes only one stop at the turn off to Lipa City and quite a few passengers are getting on/off there. You can get off at the same time and make sure no one walks away with your belongings.
3. I am only suggesting a different approach to the transfer. It is your holiday afterall.
4. NO idea which Terminal you plane will land when first arrived from Denmark. Change the money at the airport. The money exchangers at the arrival hall in T3 is surprisingly very good(pre-Covid).
5. Tubbataha is the best in the country but the reef is huge so pelagic cannot be guaranteed. They are there.

Enjoy.

1. I think you can call us seasoned travellers:) Still I'm also a bit lazy and just like to get picked up and taken directly - especially after a very long flight (nothing directly to Manila, so we'll most likely fly via Istanbul with Turkish, they're usually ok, but not the best ...)
2. Thanks, good to know.
3. I know - right now arrival is 6.05 pm, so I think private transfer will be our best option - is it safe to drive at night to Anilao? Or better to stay close to the airport and wait till next morning? I found BeeWay travel and they have a slightly better price (P 5.500)
4. Great tip, will change at the airport - didn't even think about that.
5. Yes, this worries me ... I've been searching for reports in April, but I think most "good"/"great" sightings are later in the year. But Tubbataha has been on my list for long, our alternative is waiting and do it Easter 2025 as it's 2-3 weeks later. (My alternative for 2023 is Red Sea BDE, but from Denmark to Hurghada is easy, and BDE might be better in June/July and 2025 Easter we're also considering Galapagos)

I was assuming you are going to Anilao after the trip to Tubattaha NOT before.
What is your itinerary?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom