Tsunami divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech Admin:
Simple amazing.

If anyone has a lead on contacting these (or any other divers) who were in the area please let me know. This is obviously an amazing story and something scubaboard would like to help tell to the diving worl with a more technical and complete understanding then you would get via a major news network.

The husband is a coworker of a friend of mine. I'll pass on the request.

MikeC:
You can go directly to Redcross.org and donate directly with a credit card. No need for Amazon at all. International members, check your local organizations.

I figured most people would figure that out. The amazon option is one that some might find useful that already have accounts there. They wouldn't have to submit their cc info to another web site since amazon has members info on their servers already. It'll all go to the same bucket either way.

I thought this one was worth reading as well, since it looks like the writer had gotten some nice details from the divers. Published in "The Advertiser" out of Australia.

Divers survive hell surge
By CHRIS GRIFFITH in Brisbane
31dec04
GREG and Deirdre Stegman survived Sunday's tsunami in the ocean 18m underwater off the coast of the Maldive Islands.

The retired scuba diving instructors experienced underwater hell including being buffeted about like clothes in a washing machine when the tsunami waves ripped through them 5km out at sea.

The tsunami's fury then sucked them a further 10m down in a one-second underwater terror ride.

The couple, who previously ran Stegman's Swim World in Queensland, only survived because the tsunami was yet to unleash its full fury in shallower water.

When it passed over them they had no idea what it was.

Mr Stegman said Sunday at Faru in the Maldives had begun as a typically mild overcast day and the only sign of the impending terror was a very fast current. "I noticed on the way out in the boat the currents were really strong that particular morning which is really unusual for the Maldives," he said.

He said they, along with six other experienced divers from France, Switzerland and the UK, continued with their plan to dive to 18m about 30 minutes from the coastline.

After about three minutes underwater, the current completely changed direction, sweeping all the divers in one direction for about seven to eight minutes at about five knots.

Mrs Stegman later worked out this current coincided to the sucking of water out from the coastline.

For after about five minutes, the strong underwater current changed direction and sucked the divers back.

This coincided with the tsunami.

Mr Stegman said the diving party managed somehow to keep together by holding on to their diving buddies. Divers at times grabbed his wife's buoyancy compensation vest.

"Every now and again we'd see the other divers come past us and they'd disappear again.

"I've been diving like this for 25 years, I've never experienced anything like this before."

He said the tsunami's piece de resistance was a tower-of-terror drop of 10m in a second.

They held on to the reef to save their lives.

"We would have gone down another 10-20m if we had not held on to the reef," he said.

He said their diving boat had remained intact and was able to take them back to the shore.

In hearing reports of the divers trapped under the tsunami several have said they were pushed down by the force of the water and despite trying to swim up they found them selves pushed down to 140 feet. Gulp! I wonder if they were truly pushed that deep or did the pressure of the shock wave cause their depth gages to read deeper? Also some of these divers may have had their own dive computers. Word should be passed that these divers carefully record their data as it might be of some use to the scientific community.

Im not convinced a lot of these action-adventure style posts arent made up or exagerrated. Other divers have reported surfacing unaware anything had happened, some reported a temporary increase in current and no more etc.

pennypue:
Mr Stegman said Sunday at Faru in the Maldives had begun as a typically mild overcast day and the only sign of the impending terror was a very fast current. "I noticed on the way out in the boat the currents were really strong that particular morning which is really unusual for the Maldives," he said.

Odd when the entire Maldives is world famous for its high speed high current dives just about everywhere around the atol. In fact the place is sold and advertised as a very high current environment.

After about three minutes underwater, the current completely changed direction, sweeping all the divers in one direction for about seven to eight minutes at about five knots.

Plausible but thats about the normal current speed.

Various other things in there just dont add up - its highly unlikely given the dynamics theyd physically drop - relative to sea bed/reef whatever they'd stay in the same spot just there was more water above them. 10m seems a bit high too given the highest wave on the most exposed part of land was hit by less than this and the high wave front only forms incredibly close to shore.

All in all im highly suspicious about a lot of these reports. Possibly hand picked by the media to make it sound like an action scare story. This seems to be the case with most diving incidents lately - im just surprised they didnt add the obligatory "shark infested waters" line somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom