Tsunami and Moskito Divers Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that I shouldnt believe everything on tv, but DW tv was reporting last night that they are thinking of totally closing down PhiPhi and rebuilding it from scratch, ie pretty much bulldozing it flat, starting over and actually doing some town planning there.

This sounds like a massive project to me, a unique oportunity to start over perhaps, but what would happen to all the businesses in the mean time?

Can anyone closer to the source update us on what the plans after the cleanup are?

I've heard that they were closing it down as in no more tourists. It was supposed to be a marine park but the development has been out of control.

cancun mark:
I know that I shouldnt believe everything on tv, but DW tv was reporting last night that they are thinking of totally closing down PhiPhi and rebuilding it from scratch, ie pretty much bulldozing it flat, starting over and actually doing some town planning there.

This sounds like a massive project to me, a unique oportunity to start over perhaps, but what would happen to all the businesses in the mean time?

Can anyone closer to the source update us on what the plans after the cleanup are?

It would actually make sense to close down the whole island and rebuild it from scratch. The entire island's devastated. Only the '5 Star' Phi Phi Hotel's left standing, along with some other concrete buildings. Even then, all these buildings have been declared structurally unsound.

I was actually diving with Moskito when the tsunami happened. Yes, it's a very big loss that we've lost Heinz and his 2 daughters. They never had a chance. Survivor accounts from the island were saying he was last seen screaming at his staff to run upstairs, but he had to go out onto the street to grab his daughters. Before he can get to the end of the street as the first wave was chasing his heels, the second and taller wave came right at him and engulfed him and his kids.

I was very lucky to have survived this episode, together with my students. Weird thing is, just before I left for Phi Phi, I was reading up one of the threads here discussing where you would rather be if a HUGE wave, like the one in the move Deep Impact, were to hit.

jiveturkey:
I've heard that they were closing it down as in no more tourists. It was supposed to be a marine park but the development has been out of control.

Out of control development is an under statement. The whole island was a party heaven! What a great night life! Every streets, corner, junctions were pack with Bars, restaurants, guesthouses, dive shops, convenient stores, souvenior gift shops local clothing shops.....

After a day of incredible diving, one can choose to have a great meal in one of those many seafood restaurants and retire early, or choose to party the night away! I did both and had a great time there.

It's really sad to know that many beautiful and happy faces I met on the island were gone. One comfort thought is that they happy living in the paradise and die happy. I missed that place. Wish I had taken more above water pics of the island.

Agree Fishnchips. I "only" lost a few people I'd met there, but most of my friends had moved on and the few still there are safe. It was a great place for the diving, the topside beauty and the night life (although it's hard to dive after a Thai bucket the night before... would never do that again).

Fortunately I took a fair bit of topside video of Phi Phi when I was there four years ago. I made a video about it for my Dutch divemaster friend Dieke. Still have all the raw and edited footage for memories. Sad.

Dr. Bill

I used to work on the island and all I can say is that I'm just gutted. So many memory's, so many good times and far to many buckets !

For those of you planning on going back before Phi-Phi is up and running again, consider Koh Lanta. I worked there as well, another amazing island and uses the same dive sites as Phi-Phi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom