Tsunami aftermath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew_ge

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I havent had this verified, but i've heard that the tsunami may have Re-"awoken" a dormant fault line just out from Phuket, and has ripped open a 1Km long tear in the sea bed which is releasing a steady stream of bubbles.

if this is indeed true, it makes it an interesting (to put it lightly) time for the geology of the region.

Although it wouldnt create a Tsunami (by a long shot), it would generate earthquakes that could cause structural damage.

I heard that an earthquake did occur earlier today just south of Sri lanka, so its looking like its going to be a worrying time for the residents.

The area though has been geologically unstable since records began though (as far as I know), with a major event happening every hundred years or so.

The last event on this scale was Krakatoa (1883), in which a volcano exploded and quite literally blew the island up (to put into comparrison, the volcano was 6,000ft high with a 10 mile diamater), and the caused the remains of the land to collapse into the sea generating a 140ft high tidal wave (again by comparrison, the recent tsunami was 30 foot at the worst affected region).

All I can say is that they need a tectonic monitoring station there ASAP

Andrew. I believe that they have had a vessel sonar mapping the area since the first quake happened with a view to working out the best way to install a monitoring system there. This is no easy task as the type of monitors that they should use and where to place them is dependant on the local geology, so it's not just a case of transplanting the Pacific system.......hence the ship. It does seem fairly sure that they will get a system into place as soon as they can though. There was also a quake today on the eastern side of Indonesia. about 6.5 on the Richter scale. It is not thought that the activity was connected though.
Where I live in Japan is not thought to be so earthquake prone (Northern Kyushu), but Tokyo disappearing into the sea has been on the cards for years. Nature is a lot bigger than we are.

Yeah I recognise that there are a number of factors to be considered when building a system like this, but with the amount of money the charities have recieved from donors (to the point that some are starting to refund the money), I would perfer the funds (that I and my company at least donated) if cant be spent on donating relief, were spent on researching this system so that it can help the thai's, indians, sri lankans, malaysians and indonesians in the future.

Andrew_ge:
Hi all

I havent had this verified, but i've heard that the tsunami may have Re-"awoken" a dormant fault line just out from Phuket, and has ripped open a 1Km long tear in the sea bed which is releasing a steady stream of bubbles.

if this is indeed true, it makes it an interesting (to put it lightly) time for the geology of the region.

Although it wouldnt create a Tsunami (by a long shot), it would generate earthquakes that could cause structural damage.

I heard that an earthquake did occur earlier today just south of Sri lanka, so its looking like its going to be a worrying time for the residents.

The area though has been geologically unstable since records began though (as far as I know), with a major event happening every hundred years or so.

The last event on this scale was Krakatoa (1883), in which a volcano exploded and quite literally blew the island up (to put into comparrison, the volcano was 6,000ft high with a 10 mile diamater), and the caused the remains of the land to collapse into the sea generating a 140ft high tidal wave (again by comparrison, the recent tsunami was 30 foot at the worst affected region).

All I can say is that they need a tectonic monitoring station there ASAP

krakatoa, or the child of krakatoa has been growing steadily for many years now, it is off limits to all but volcanologists and they say that it has grown to the same size if not bigger than the original one.

there was a program on national geographic a couple of weeks ago.

again they said it was not a case of if it blows, but when it blows.

perhaps i won't be buying land in Thailand after all :-(

divebunnie:
Wow… as you say… nature is sooo much bigger than we give credit.QUOTE]

How much bigger? Well you can see the following link to the US Geological Survey showing all quakes greater than 2.5 on the Richter scale in the last week. A LOT. And many more than 5. That's the way the world is, always changing. Not something you want to stay awake worrying about.

USGS Web Site

clive francis:
krakatoa, or the child of krakatoa has been growing steadily for many years now, it is off limits to all but volcanologists and they say that it has grown to the same size if not bigger than the original one.

there was a program on national geographic a couple of weeks ago.

again they said it was not a case of if it blows, but when it blows.

perhaps i won't be buying land in Thailand after all :-(

Well, Anak Krakatau (Son of Krakatau) is located close to the original volcano, which is in the Sunda Strait at the NW tip of Java, maybe 2,000km from Phuket....I'd say land in Thailand would be safe enough. Between there and Thailand you have Sumatra, Singapore and mainland Malaysia.

Now what's this about a new fault line off Phuket. I can't find any info on that..maybe just another rumour? If someone can find a web link or something, please post here!

Interesting stuff, it is amazing how many quakes rumble on with out making the headlines.

I'd be interested to see how they compare over the last couple of years though… there is probably a page on that same site, so will have a proper look later…

There was an interesting article today in the Telegraph site which I thought might be encouraging for you guys over there. I have posted it on my own forum too, in the hope that people start returning. I know that is digressing a touch…
:D

Back
Top Bottom