TSDT Memorial Weekend Final Details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Some final details for everyone who is planning on showing up to Lake Travis this weekend:

Mike's Arrival: I will be arriving on Friday Morning (shooting for 9-ish) to claim our campsite spot and do a dive site check out dive as well as some other business. If any of the Austin divers would like to join me, I can use the dive buddy(ies) and would appreciate the help.

Dive Briefing: Since this is an official TSDT event, there will be waivers to sign and a dive briefing. As a dive leader, my concern is not only your enjoyment, but your safety. Briefing will be at the campsite at 9:30am on Saturday. If you cannot make it, then be sure to find me or one of my helpers.

SDI Wreck Diving class: There wasn't much response in the other thread on this, but it will still be happening. So if you are interested, please let us know when you sign in.

Tech Diving Presentation: Since Alec Ranck will be there to teach the Wreck class, I'm sure we can talk him into an informal presentation about Technical Diving after dinner. He's also very approachable if you want to wander over to him, point at a bit of his gear, and ask questions.

Cameras: Bring them!! And be sure to share any really good photos with me after the dive so I can post them on a web page for others to see.

Drinking Water: Be sure to have plenty of this on hand. It's gonna be pretty warm and staying hydrated is one of the simplest ways to reduce your risk of DCS as well as heat exhaustion. And don't forget the sunscreen!!!

Chinese Auction: Don't forget your goodie for the auction. We will also have a "name from the hat" drawing for some of the loot that was left over from Halloween.

Alcohol: While we should be adults about this, but I feel it is warranted to remind you to keep any alcohol consumption to the proper safe levels since it will increase both dehydration and your risk of DCS.

Oxygen kit: Unfortunately, TRUETEXAN was my source for an 02 kit for this weekend. Does anyone else have one that they can bring?? (I hope we don't have to use it, but it's best to be prepared)

T-shirts: I have a very limited number of TSDT shirts available. These will be sold for $15.00 on a first come first served basis.

Sunshades/Canopies: If you got one, please bring it. Also bring any extra campchairs you might have so we can all relax in comfort.

Food/Kitchen: As mentioned in the other threads, there will be a community kitchen going. Contributions to the pantry and menu are greatly apprecaited. Even more apprecaited would be volunteers to help in the kitchen. Check with Beast or Dee on what you can do to help.

That's all I can think of at this sitting. If you think of anything else, worth including, speak up.

--TexasMike

By the way...

I do plan on making a few dives using doubles.

Anyone else out there that's coming qualified in doubles and can bring them?

Mike,

I've got 2 O2 bottles that I am bringing with me.

Sue

I went out yesterday and bought all new camping equipment. SO, I am ready to go.

I'll bring some food for the Kitchen, if anyone has some suggestions lay them on me.

If all goes well I'll be following TexasTony and Dee up first thing
Friday morning. I look forward to a grand old time.

Originally posted by SueJ
Mike,

I've got 2 O2 bottles that I am bringing with me.

Sue
Fantastic! When you arrive, be sure to find me so we can arrange for a good place for them to be during the weekend (readily accessible and all)

Will do. We should be there about 9:30 or so Friday night.

Beast will be bringing his doubles. Tony and I both have new BP rigs to fine tune.

I sure hope this mild weather holds out!

Mike, I have a couple rolls of yellow barricade tape in the truck that we could flag off between campsite 1 and 2 since that's really the only area that we might have encroachment by other campers. The sidewalk and stairs down to the lake is the border on the other end.
Dee and I, and maybe Tina too, will be leaving around 8am, so that'll put us in around 11. Doug and Dee want to stake their kithchen/camp area about the same as last year to be close to the pavillion and tables. If you see Ranger Rick before we get there, be sure to ask if it's ok to move the big fire pit a little closer to the center of the campsite.
I can see parking is going to be a real test, since there's not that many spaces close to the lower campsites, but I think there's plenty overflow in the upper camp area. Hopefully we can get a truck in the spots needed for the rv campers, there's two or three we'll need to hold for those roughin' it RV style.

I'm afraid my appearance is in definite peril :( While getting ready to dive last weekend at Athens Scuba Park, the zipper on my wetsuit came off and I had to rent one from Shannon. I took it into Arlington Scuba Center to see if they could fix it, but they couldn't and sent it off to New Jersey to Henderson for repairs. I should be getting it back in a couple of weeks, so I will either have to rent a 3XL wetsuit from somewhere or stay home ;-0
I'll do what I can, but just in case I don't show up this weekend, you'll know why. Wish me luck...

Ken

Originally posted by ScubaTexan
I'm afraid my appearance is in definite peril :( While getting ready to dive last weekend at Athens Scuba Park, the zipper on my wetsuit came off and I had to rent one from Shannon. I took it into Arlington Scuba Center to see if they could fix it, but they couldn't and sent it off to New Jersey to Henderson for repairs. I should be getting it back in a couple of weeks, so I will either have to rent a 3XL wetsuit from somewhere or stay home ;-0
I'll do what I can, but just in case I don't show up this weekend, you'll know why. Wish me luck...

Ken

Wetsuit? You won't need no steekin' wetsuit! According to the Lake Travis graph At 30 ft. it's still 70º. It doesn't hit 60º until close to 50ft. So unless you plan to dive deeper than that, you'll be fine! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom