TSandM: Missing Diver in Clallam County, WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually pretty scary. If something can happen to a diver as safety conscious as her, it can happen to anyone.

This is a great thing for all divers to remember.

shocked, bewildered, and feeling empty....

persecute me as you will, but I am going to ask something... this is the A&I forum...

was this a true solo dive or a same ocean team? The team concept was always stressed by Lynn....

probably hundreds of dives by her in this area, so it was "just another day and another dive"...

we all get to a point where we let it slip a little... let us pause and give that some re-focus...

Thoughts and prayers to all in the close and distant circle..

"Lynn Flaherty was diving with her husband off Duncan Rock Tuesday morning when something went wrong and she didn't return to the surface, according to Coast Guard officials."

shocked, bewildered, and feeling empty....

persecute me as you will, but I am going to ask something... this is the A&I forum...

was this a true solo dive or a same ocean team? The team concept was always stressed by Lynn....

It was neither a solo dive nor a same ocean team ... Lynne would not participate in either, particularly at a site like that.

It's a remote site ... one that's known for strong and unpredictable currents. My information is that Lynne and Peter hit a downcurrent that pulled them apart. They lost track of each other. Peter surfaced, Lynne did not.

Duncan Rock is a bucket-list site ... the crème de la crème of Pacific Northwest diving. But it can also be dangerous and unpredictable, due to its exposed location ... I've attempted diving it several times and the closest I ever got was making it to the rock, taking one look and saying "I ain't going into THAT!" They hit it on a good day in terms of tidal exchanges and weather. It should have been quite diveable ... but the ocean is a temperamental bitch sometimes.

probably hundreds of dives by her in this area, so it was "just another day and another dive"...

we all get to a point where we let it slip a little... let us pause and give that some re-focus...

Thoughts and prayers to all in the close and distant circle..

No ... I believe this was Lynne's first trip to Neah Bay, which is over 150 miles from our usual and more protected sites in Puget Sound. It's quite wild and different out there, being at the confluence to the Straits of Juan de Fuca and the Pacific Ocean. This is a site I know she's always dreamed of diving. And I'm certain she was meticulously prepared for it. Lynne never, ever, let herself slip ... she put the same emphasis on safety and preparation whether she was doing a 20-foot shore dive or a 150-foot tech dive. I do not know what happened ... I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around Lynne having a diving accident at all ... but I can assure you that she did not "let it slip a little" ... that would be so out of her character as to be unbelievable.

All I can say is that my world is dark today ... I find myself reviewing all the chances I had to spend time with her and didn't ... and wishing I could have them back.

Still holding out for a miracle, and hoping she's found and gets the chance to tell us all herself what happened ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am in Maine on Vacation and opened facebook and saw this on Elena news feed I am praying hard for her return. I never thought I would be reading about her here. I never meet her, but greatly admired her for her knowledge, and cool head. Peter I praying for you both.

... yes, it can ... and if there is ever any one lesson that Lynne would want people to take away from this, that would be it ...

Lynne is the most safety-conscious diver I've ever met ... but the ocean is bigger and more powerful than any of us ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Amen. When we dive we dare to enter a world we were never design to be in, and we can only limit our risks, but never completely eliminate them.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2015 at 09:16 AM ----------

It was neither a solo dive nor a same ocean team ... Lynne would not participate in either, particularly at a site like that.

It's a remote site ... one that's known for strong and unpredictable currents. My information is that Lynne and Peter hit a downcurrent that pulled them apart. They lost track of each other. Peter surfaced, Lynne did not.

Duncan Rock is a bucket-list site ... the crème de la crème of Pacific Northwest diving. But it can also be dangerous and unpredictable, due to its exposed location ... I've attempted diving it several times and the closest I ever got was making it to the rock, taking one look and saying "I ain't going into THAT!" They hit it on a good day in terms of tidal exchanges and weather. It should have been quite diveable ... but the ocean is a temperamental bitch sometimes.

No ... I believe this was Lynne's first trip to Neah Bay, which is over 150 miles from our usual and more protected sites in Puget Sound. It's quite wild and different out there, being at the confluence to the Straits of Juan de Fuca and the Pacific Ocean. This is a site I know she's always dreamed of diving. And I'm certain she was meticulously prepared for it. Lynne never, ever, let herself slip ... she put the same emphasis on safety and preparation whether she was doing a 20-foot shore dive or a 150-foot tech dive. I do not know what happened ... I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around Lynne having a diving accident at all ... but I can assure you that she did not "let it slip a little" ... that would be so out of her character as to be unbelievable.

All I can say is that my world is dark today ... I find myself reviewing all the chances I had to spend time with her and didn't ... and wishing I could have them back.

Still holding out for a miracle, and hoping she's found and gets the chance to tell us all herself what happened ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thank you for this explanation. This is the sort of information that helps everyone put such an accident somewhat into perspective.

Do we know if Lynn had her Naulitus Lifeline with her yesterday?

I want to emphasize what Bob said above. I have NEVER dived with a team as meticulous about safety and following protocols as Peter and Lynn. Their procedures were beyond reproach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom