TSandM: Missing Diver in Clallam County, WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I think there is another legacy to be had here as well.

There has been some focus on this thread on the fact that if it could happen to Lynne that it could happen to anyone. I have to admit, that's a scary thought. It think her raw skills were at least on par with mine (if not better) and if something diving related went wrong during that dive then I would like to know it, obviously, so I can learn from it and avoid the same trap. I think a lot of people are in this boat.

Personally, having seen Lynne diving and having seen Lynne and Peter diving together, there is absolutely no question in my mind whatsoever, that whatever happened here is something that rendered Lynne unconscious and unable to return to the surface. Her skills were top shelf. Her attitude was top shelf. Her gear was top shelf. Her buddy was top shelf. Her preparation and contingency planning for this dive were top shelf..... In the absence of a merciless and wrathful God (or Murphy, whatever you prefer) I have nothing. No amount of logic I can apply to this leads to a scenario other than a major medical event.

A few days before her death Lynne posted on a thread I was following that a major heart attack can happen to just about anyone without warning. We've all seen (or heard) of young athletes dying on the field from major heart attacks. I think in soccer alone there have been dozens. These were well trained, healthy, young individuals who went from playing sports at the highest echelons to being dead in a couple of minutes.

The alternative legacy I would like to suggest here is not that "if it can happen to Lynne it can happen to anyone" because I firmly believe -- especially now that my thinking is less dazed and confused about it -- that her diving was generally so secure and of such high quality as to be beyond reproach. When we dove together in BC a few years ago a non-diving friend of mine who was along for the boat ride said to me afterwards, "I don't know much about diving but even I can see that Lynne is someone who would strangle Murphy until his eyes popped out if he dared get too close...". (this is a true quote).

And that's the alternative legacy, a positive legacy. We will eventually all die. Some of us will probably die diving but Lynne showed us by example that it IS possible for a highly trained, highly skilled diver to approach every dive without letting your guard down. It IS possible not to become complacent. It IS possible not to become sloppy, it IS possible to continue to see diving through non-jaded eyes. It IS possible to plan every dive and dive every plan. And it's possible to do all that and still be friendly, approachable, lovable and easy to dive with. Both under water, and during the SIT.

If we assume -- as I would like to suggest -- that this was not a diving accident but an accident that happened while diving, then I think we can take a broader picture of Lynne of appreciate what she taught us (or wanted to teach us) all by example.

R..

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

All that could be done has been done. All that can be said has been said. RIP Lynne Peter we wish you peace and healing

This seems to be the perfect time to close this thread. It will remain closed unless Peter wishes to have it reopened or Mod consensus determine it appropriate to reopen

I've been out of touch traveling. Just wondering if there's been any development on Lynne's very tragic disappearance :(

I was gunna ask the same thing a day or 2 ago.........Gunna guess NO to your Q--since no one has responded back yea or hay....

I'll keep checking back when I have internet...

You can trust Peter Guy to tell us if there is news.

I've been out of touch traveling. Just wondering if there's been any development on Lynne's very tragic disappearance :(

Hello Cruiser,

Cape Flattery can be a difficult place for such a task. I am a recreational diver (not a techie) and would avoid diving there.

The maximum ebb current for September 2015 is 2.2 knots (this speed is from the center of the Straits of Juan de Fuca, not next to reefs where currents can become a washing machine).

The maximum flood current for September 2015 is 1.2 knots (again, the datum point is the center of the Straits of Juan de Fuca).

Slack periods are of short duration.

U.S. Coast Pilot 7 states that "Tide rips are particularly heavy off Cape Flattery". NOAA chart 18485 indicates tide rips occur 1/2 nautical mile west of Duncan/Duntz Rocks. Another comment from Coast Pilot 7 regarding Duncan and Duntz Rocks states: "...and strong currents and tide rips make it hazardous."

Within 150 yards (west) of Duncan Rock, the depth is 24 to 37 fathoms (not feet, not meters, fathoms -- soundings on Chart 18485 are in fathoms). At a range of 500 yards, the depths are 50 fathoms and still falling. That's roughly a 33% slope.

I have navigated Cape Flattery in fog, rain, and rough seas. I was always in the wheelhouse as we rounded the Cape as I wanted to make sure my mate did not short-cut the approaches to Cape Flattery and set us hard-n-fast on its reefs.

NDBC buoy 46087 indicates a sea-temp of 55.4 degrees with an air temp of 56 degrees (0050 hrs ZULU)

A recovery operation there should be performed by the best of the best. I hope they take thier time.

Follow this link Body of missing Lake Tahoe diver found 17 years later | Reuters to read about a diver that disappeared almost two decades before being discovered (twice) and then finally recovered. Lake Tahoe does not have currents, or tides, or a variable visibility issue. In the summer the weather is mostly predictable and warm. Lots of people dive Rubicon this time of year.

NOAA Chart 18485: Chart 18485
NOAA Tidal Current Predictions: Tidal Current Predictions - NOAA Tides & Currents of Juan de Fuca

markm

Last edited:
I think he was referring to a Side Scan sonar search. It appears that the bottom terrain in that area has depths close to a 1000' with the average depth in the 800' range. That is a difficult bottom to side scan with the immense walls, uneven bottom, and bad currents. If she lies in that canyon then only an ROV could recover her. I am sure that the option has been explored given the circumstances and press this has received, but you would need skilled sonar and ROV operators for that operation.

I think he was referring to a Side Scan sonar search. It appears that the bottom terrain in that area has depths close to a 1000' with the average depth in the 800' range. That is a difficult bottom to side scan with the immense walls, uneven bottom, and bad currents. If she lies in that canyon then only an ROV could recover her. I am sure that the option has been explored given the circumstances and press this has received, but you would need skilled sonar and ROV operators for that operation.

Hi Jared,

I apologize as I must be confused. Where are the 160 fathom (1000ft or 300m) depths around Duncan and Duntz rocks?

As I see it, the closest depths of 160 fathoms on the NOAA chart are 2.5 nautical miles away.

Am I looking at the wrong location?

In order to get enough definition with side scan sonar, wouldn't the transducer need to be mounted on a towed mechanical fish?

Again, just my thought, an ROV in these waters could be at great risk unless conditions were perfect. The currents are the problem.

During slack tide, the Alaska Current is also a factor.

thanks,

markm

The memorial service was held today. She still has not been found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom