TSA wait times in HI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get through TSA in HI? Maui, Honolulu or Big Island (especially BI)?

The first time I went to BI it took over 3 hours to get through security. I want to know if I'm allowing myself enough time to do what I want to do the morning before we fly. If you've been through any of the airports mentioned above, how long did it take you to get through?

I went through security on the Big Island last month and it was pretty quick, except for the double screening of carry-ons. We got there less than two hours before our flight out and still sat around and waited at the terminal, and this was right after the earthquake with everyone trying to get out on the first few flights to be allowed in and out of the island.

So 3 hours would be massive overkill. Good luck and enjoy!

My last trip ...only trip....there was in Jan this year. I had dive gear too in carry on. I dont remember security being that bad. But I will say this....the place overall in general TO ME wasnt organized very well and the lines were longggggggggg just to get the dang ticket. Give yourself plenty of time.

If you get there when everyone else is there it will always take a long time. On the other hand get there a couple of hours early and you'll breeze right through. This morning on Maui it took a couple of minutes.

I guess it would largely depend on what day and time your flight is. If you're flying mid-week and in the middle of the day, the lines may not be so bad.

If you're flying mid-week and around "rush hour" time, you may encounter some short lines from the neighbor island commuters. Longest lines seem to be during the weekends, and if that weekend has a holiday attached to it, plan to wait a while.

Generally my experiences the last several years at OGG (Kahului) and KOA (Kona) airports is that the lines are ridiculously long. Long enough that I really don't care to do weekend interisland trips anymore.

If you're flying out of one of the small airports on an interisland flight - like Kapalua or Lanai - there is no line.

ditto what she says. Early am, things have not backed up yet. But we have a lot of afternoon flights due to the time zone...and things tend to build in airports throughout the day. The domino effect of mainland airports can delay things here too.

I find after noon, I need the two hours.

An hour and a half at the Kahului, Maui airport will be plenty of time if you're travelling back to the mainland with just two checked bags and a carry on. This should give you a little time to hang out in Stinger Rays for a pre-flight cocktail too!

Tobagoman:
I went through security on the Big Island last month and it was pretty quick, except for the double screening of carry-ons. We got there less than two hours before our flight out and still sat around and waited at the terminal, and this was right after the earthquake with everyone trying to get out on the first few flights to be allowed in and out of the island.

So 3 hours would be massive overkill. Good luck and enjoy!

Ditto on the double screening of carry-ons. You would think at an airport with as many scuba divers as they would get, that their TSA personnel would recognize a reg/gauge/computer setup. WRONG!!!

At that time I was carrying these in my carry-on, to prevent damage and/or theft. The TSA screener saw something "suspicious" on the x-ray screen. I told her it was scuba gear, and she verified that it was after searching it.

The part I don't get is after she searched the bag (including the pockets) she put it back through the x-ray machine again!. It's already been x-rayed once, and thoroughly hand searched, why is it being x-rayed again? :rolleyes:

As far as the 3 hour lead time, you can never be too safe. At busy airports such as Honolulu, you can never guarantee that there is not a long line at either check-in or the security screening point. Trust me, I barely made my Auckland-Sydney flight a couple of weeks ago despite arriving 2 1/2 hours ahead of time.

That extra hour or two will be downright cheap compared to the cost of missing your flight, and having to rebook it (at much higher prices, unless you flew First Class, Business, or Full-Fare Coach) as well as any possible overnight hotel stays if you missed the last flight to your destination for that day. BTDT.

I flew out of Kahului Tue before Thanksgiving at 5:55 pm, arriving at the airport 5:05. Luckily there were only 5 groups ahead of me checking in and less at security. I was still able to spend 5 minutes on a large Bass ale and I was seated with more than 5 minutes to spare, without ruffling any feathers.

I'm not recomending that style of travel for everybody, but since I work weekends it continues to work for me.

I was just through there last weekend. The lines are long when the big flights go through there. I don't understand why they don't have any idea that when a 767-300 lands, or is taking off, there will be a lot of people cued up. There was only one line, until someone from Continental started raising hell as their connecting flight was going to be late.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom