TSA got you down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't done a whole lot of international travel but if you just have a connecting flight going through the US don't you stay in a secure area that doesn't require you to be re-screened? If you leave that area aren't you required to clear customs? I am just asking because I don't know.

I agree the TSA is illmannered and the screening process is a joke. How does it differ in Canada? The places I have been (though limited) have included a pat down prior to boarding the plane bound for the US.

I had a connecting flight from Miami to Canada in order to make it to the gate my connecting flight was leaving from I had to go through another security screen, I grew concerned as my flight was leaving in 45 minutes or so, we were behind schedule due to no available gate when we landed sat on the plane for close to 50 minutes. When I voiced my concerns to a TSA employee they told me to get in the line and if it takes all day tough. Finally my long term live in partner of 11 years and myself proceeded to the passport control, don't ask I am still confused. The border guard asked if we were married when I explained she was my common law he berated me and told me to get back in the line up and proceeded to clear my partner with out me, when I came to the counter my partner decided to wait for me the in the general area the guard looked at me and said "tell her to move on or I'll have her arrested". Finally when I got through I asked one of the security employees how far to our gate she laughed replied "you better run or you'll miss your plane".

This is just one of a few examples of the attitudes we have had to put up with when having to travel in the US.

To answer your question yes we have some strange security procedures in Canada but nothing compared to the degree of rudeness, and degrading procedures you have to go through when traveling in the US, and at the very least the security officials are professional and courteous even if they do pat you down and no grabbing in the more private areas.

I haven't done a whole lot of international travel but if you just have a connecting flight going through the US don't you stay in a secure area that doesn't require you to be re-screened? If you leave that area aren't you required to clear customs? I am just asking because I don't know.

I agree the TSA is illmannered and the screening process is a joke. How does it differ in Canada? The places I have been (though limited) have included a pat down prior to boarding the plane bound for the US.

Your first question depends on the circumstances. It depends on where you clear US Customs. If you are fortunate to be departing from a Canadian airport that has US Customs at that airport, you clear it and Security (CATSA) before boarding the plane for the States. Oherwise you have to clear US Customs in the States and then go back through Security (TSA) to board your connecting flight.

It also depends if you are changing carriers (at different terminals), or if you are staying with the same carrier or if that carrier has a different terminal etc. for the connecting flight.

Take for example flying Calgary to Bonaire on Continental in which you connect through Houson. You clear US Customs and then Security (CATSA) in Calgary and fly to Houston for the connecting flight to Bonaire. Once at Bush International, you stay in the same terminal for the connecting Continental flight to Bonaire. Coming back from Bonaire you go through US Customs at Bush International (remember, still not visiting, just staying at the airport for one hour), then go through Security (TSA) before boarding the plane to Calgary. Its aways fun agonizing over the one hour gap between flights - will you or will you not make it.

As an aside, the NEXUS card is wonderful for breezing through US Customs. Wave the card at the machine, have the iris scan, and pass your declaration card in - done.

I have always had faster service going through TSA than CATSA security for some reason. Still, the shoe thing on US flights is amusing. I chuckle when flying domestic Canada when people automatically take of their shoes - it is not a CATSA requirement, but we are so conditioned.

The last time my wife and I flew was San Diego - Los Angeles - Fiji and back a few months ago. We had no real problems, TSA agents were pleasant, no long waits in security lines.

In fact, it seems to me that TSA personnel have been getting better over the years, both in terms of their demeanor and their efficiency.

TSA agents have a very tough job to do, and I doubt that they are thrilled by the prospect of having to frisk people.

I would rather get frisked than killed by a bomb.

Deterring or catching airplane bombers is only a temporary solution. In the long run, the world is going to have to figure out how to stop terror and terrorists.

Throughout history, the only societies that have managed to achieve peace are those who provide their citizens with education, opportunity, and justice.

TSA agents have a very tough job to do

The problem is that many of the agents use that as an excuse to act like arseholes to general travellers who have done nothing to deserve it. No thanks.

Maybe we should start a poll on this and see what percentage of people have had a very good to very bad experience with the TSA, I would but not sure how, oh and we all have tough aspects to our job but should this give you a right to treat the public like S..t?

Most of my experiences with TSA have been palatable, if you exclude the annoyance of incredibly long lines and delays. We travel with a bunch of suspicious looking stuff, like dive lights. We've had a small (but very dangerous) crescent wrench taken away from us (but it WAS against the rules, as it turned out) and we've had a dressage whip turned back, after it had made it through two flights in other countries without much comment. What irritates me the most about TSA is that they spend an enormous amount of time applying fairly arbitrary evaluations to pretty convincingly non-suspicious people, but don't find things that could be bad. Today, they carefully searched my carry-on bag, in which I had forgotten I had put a new line cutter I bought in MX. They didn't recognize it for what it was, and waved me through. So we had an x-ray scanner AND a hand search that didn't find what could be a rather nasty weapon. And why do we stand in those longs lines, again?

I would rather get frisked than killed by a bomb.
This is really the crux of the issue, isn't it? If we could just persuade all of those people who would rather get killed than frisked, then we'd have a consensus. :D

You may have the right to fly, but you dont have the right to determine for yourself what hoops you have to jump through before you are allowed on the plane...just like you dont have the right to name your own price on flying (no matter what Priceline says LOL).

IF being patted down is sexual assault then every cop that pats someone down should arrest himself I suppose. And no, not everyone that gets patted down IS a criminal so that argument wont fly.

I spent 10 years as a LEO and I can assure I did not need to cup a perps balls or stick my hand up their butt to ensure the were not armed. I now travel 20 plus weeks per year for work. Two weeks ago I went through the scanner and the TSA asked if anything was in my pocket. I pulled the pocket inside out to show it was empty. I am sure the agent knew that I did not have have a hernia or hemorrhoids when he finished patting me down.

Until you have been through it, do not presume to know what the procedure feels like. I though I should at least get a kiss when he was done.

I am not sure about other airports, but in Atlanta, you will be screened by the TSA after clearing Customs and Immigration, prior to bording your next flight.

Just another thought, from which US airport did the underwear bomber or shoe bomber board their airplane.

None. The boarded planes outside the US.:dropmouth:

Back
Top Bottom