Trying to transition from total-noob, part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whether you are using a two-piece farmer john wetsuit or a one-piece jumpsuit would be good additional info. because you'd need more lead for the farmer john than for the one-piece. For instance, I can drop 10lb going from a 7mm farmer john outfit to a one piece jumpsuit of the same material. I'm a bigger guy than you so you might not have a swing that large, but it would still be significant.

Thanks - good info. Yeah, it's a two-piece wetsuit, so I guess it's a bit misleading to say that it's 7.0 or 7.5 mm since there are two layers from my knees to my neck, unless each layer is say 3.5 mm. I'd not gotten out my calipers and measured.

Thanks - good info. Yeah, it's a two-piece wetsuit, so I guess it's a bit misleading to say that it's 7.0 or 7.5 mm since there are two layers from my knees to my neck, unless each layer is say 3.5 mm. I'd not gotten out my calipers and measured.

Most two-piece wetsuits I see rented in this area are actually 6.5mm for each layer, for a combined total of 13mm on your core and 6.5 on the extremities. When I dive wet, I use a 7/5 jumpsuit + 5/3 hooded vest, which gives me 10mm on my core and 5 on my extremities. That's a significant difference, both in raw buoyancy and comfort (which can certainly affect your buoyancy, especially as a new diver)! Everybody has a different tolerance to cold though, so that may or may not be enough neoprene for you.

I know a few people who are diving very happily with the Scubapro Nova Scotia in Monterey, typically with a thin shorty underneath.

Welcome to Monterey diving....

Just wanted to add not all BCD's are equal. Some contain more fabric than others and that requires more lead to sink, I never understood that until I changed my gear.

I dove a similar setup as you, 100 HP steel and 13mm wetsuit layered. I was at 32 lbs and then 28 and after 6 months of diving, it came down to 22 lbs. The configuration was:

2 x 4lbs in trim pockets non-ditchable...

2 x 7lbs in integrated weights ditchable...

When I changed up my gear and went with a BP/W my weight dropped again, 17 lbs...

My advice is to enjoy your diving in your setup, you'll have so much fun, I know I did, I dove my BCD for 1.5 years before I went with a wing.

MG

Last edited:
Most two-piece wetsuits I see rented in this area are actually 6.5mm for each layer, for a combined total of 13mm on your core and 6.5 on the extremities. When I dive wet, I use a 7/5 jumpsuit + 5/3 hooded vest, which gives me 10mm on my core and 5 on my extremities. That's a significant difference, both in raw buoyancy and comfort (which can certainly affect your buoyancy, especially as a new diver)! Everybody has a different tolerance to cold though, so that may or may not be enough neoprene for you.

I know a few people who are diving very happily with the Scubapro Nova Scotia in Monterey, typically with a thin shorty underneath.

When I first started diving in Monterey, I was renting a 7mm two-piece like almost everyone else, 6/3 hood, 3 mm boots and gloves (I don't normally dive wet in Monterey now, but use 5mm gloves and 6.5mm boots when I do). Initially I needed 30 lb. (6'0", 175-180) with an AL80, once I got to 25 or 30 dives (about two months after cert) I was able to drop down to 26. The OP didn't say how tall they are, and general build, bone size and % of body fat will affect how much lead you need for the same weight.

After renting both one and two-piece wetsuits I bought a 7/5mm one piece (Pinnacle Cruiser), and used it with a 6/3 hood or 6/3 hooded vest depending on conditions. This tends to be the most versatile combo, is easier (for me) to get in and out of, and is considerably more streamlined than a two piece, and with the hooded vest you don't get that trickle/stream of water running down the back of your neck (at least, not when it's worn outside your one piece). It's been a while, but IIRR using the above combo with hooded vest and an AL80 I only needed 22 later 20 lb., and with just the hood I was using 20, later 18 (or maybe even 16) lb. Later I bought a backplate and wing instead of renting BCs, and was able to drop another 4 lb. or so.

Nowadays I dive dry using steel tanks, and with one of my (very heavy and negative: -5 empty/-12.5 full)) Asahi Genesis HP100s I only need 10 lb. (6 lb. from my stainless steel backplate, + 4 lb. of lead on my tank bands), for a total of -15 lb. empty/-22.5 lb. full (I'm ignoring the ~2 lb. negative added by your reg). Depending on which brand of HP 100 you have (OMS/Faber, PST, Worthington, Norris) you will normally need from 1 to 6 lb. more than I do with my Asahis.

So, for the OP, yes, you will almost certainly drop some more weight as you get more comfortable in the water. And different BCs have more or less buoyancy when empty and some trap more air than others, so if you haven't bought already, rent as many different ones as you can, both jacket style and back inflate so you can compare. In general the back inflates will have less inherent buoyancy than the jacket style and be easier to vent all the air out of (backplate/wing has the least of all/is easiest of all).

HTH,

Guy

Last edited:
When I changed up my gear and went with a BP/W my weight dropped again, 17 lbs...

Just to clarify (I'm curious) - Is that 17lbs of ditchable lead, or 17lbs? IIRC you're diving the steel plate, which is -6lbs already. If you're using the weighted STA, that's a further -6lbs.

Just to clarify (I'm curious) - Is that 17lbs of ditchable lead, or 17lbs? IIRC you're diving the steel plate, which is -6lbs already. If you're using the weighted STA, that's a further -6lbs.

Sorry,

Didn't clarify my weight like Guy did... Here is my profile:

Weight belt = -8 lbs of lead

Can light = -2.8 lbs

SS backplate = -6 lbs (I don't use any weight in my STA)

Total = -16.8 lbs negative

Tank = -10 lbs full, -2.5 lbs empty

Total = -26.8 lbs negative start of dive / -19.3 lbs negative end of dive

I'm not including, fins or regs which are also negative....

Total = -26.8 lbs negative start of dive / -19.3 lbs negative end of dive

Minor nit :wink:

That's 26.8 lbs of weight at the start of the dive / 19.3 lbs of weight at the end of the dive.

You aren't negative for that amount of lead because your exposure protection (and BC) adds buoyancy. Assuming you're weighted correctly, if you want to talk about "negative" at the start or end of the dive, it'll something like

Total = - 7.5 lbs negative at the start of the dive / neutrally buoyant at the end of the dive.

As to whether I still have air in my BC at my 15-foot safety stop, I try not to. I'm not always sure that I've successfully purged everything so I try to vent via all four valves in my BC, if I'm horizontal, and both top valves if I'm vertical. On one dive I found that I could keep at 15 feet by slowly kicking with my fins while vertical and that felt pretty good, but it was a rather elusive target not achieved on other dives.

So...

... more dives, more practice. I can think of worse ways to spend a weekend.

Based on this information, you can definitely take off more weight. If you're kicking your fins slowly to maintain 15', that means you're slightly negative.

What you'll want to do is practice controlled ascents. While this is not as good as diving with an mentor or instructor, I did write an article on ascents and descents for scuba diving a while back.

Once you're comfortable with your ascents, you'll be able to remove the additional weight that you are carrying. Instead of relying on this extra weight to hold you down, you'll be able to manage your depth by fine tuning bouyancy with breath control, controlling ascent speed with body position, and efficient purging of the gas.

Yes, more diving is good. And there are definitely worse ways to spend a weekend.

Minor nit :wink:

That's 26.8 lbs of weight at the start of the dive / 19.3 lbs of weight at the end of the dive.

You aren't negative for that amount of lead because your exposure protection (and BC) adds buoyancy. Assuming you're weighted correctly, if you want to talk about "negative" at the start or end of the dive, it'll something like

Total = - 7.5 lbs negative at the start of the dive / neutrally buoyant at the end of the dive.

Okay,

Thanks for the correction on the total weight being, 26.8 lbs in the beginning and 19.3 lbs at the end of the dive. It makes sense, I always thought you just add the negative numbers like in Math, not so in diving. Does the diver also count as positive along with the exposure protection and BC?

p.s
Don, I recall when I was weighted in Essentials, you mentioned at the beginning of the dive, that I was overweighted? But then at the end of the dive when I held my 10 ft safety stop, you said I was neutrally bouyant?:confused: Just curious... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom