Trying to find the perfect fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I owned a pair of Deep Outdoors Sixgills and completed around 430 dives with them around the world under very different conditions. They were brilliant with any kick, in current and especially with awkward positioning for macro UW photography. They have started to wear and as they are no longer made by the same company, I replaced them with identical but rather stiffer Hollis F2. I have not tested the new fins yet, but will do so soon in Bali & Wakatobi.

only ones on my list are as follows, in order

Dive Rite XT
OMS Slipstreams
Scubapro Jet Fins
Mares Avanti Quattros
Hollis F1's
Hog Tech 2 fins

NONE of these are going to be easy to flutter kick in, it takes a lot of leg strength, but you will fly thru the water if your legs are up to the task. Hog fins are a little floppy compared to the others so less thrust, the Hollis F1's are stiff as hell but very heavy. OMS Slipstreams are the best paddle style fin on the market, but I think the Dive Rite XT's win overall. Coast Guard rescue swimmers use OMS Slipstreams and Scubapro Jet Fins, they flutter kick exclusively. If there were better fins out there, they'd be using them.

I have not tested the new fins yet, but will do so soon in Bali & Wakatobi.
I would be really interested to hear how you get on Hintermann.

I have some of those hingey fins (Mares X-Stream https://www.mares.com/products/fins/open-heel/x-stream/5653/?region=eu)
I too do underwater photography, and I find my feet are very floaty and if I'm trying to get on the deck or stay still, I'm fighting my feet!

I'm now looking for a fin which is at least neutral for diving wet, but I'm reading lots of scary stuff about how your fins affect buoyancy.
I have read somewhere that the F2 is neutral?

I dropped Hollis UK a line and got a really interesting reply;
"If you are looking for the F2 as being a ‘Jet Fin’ then you are possibly looking at the wrong model for you. The many vents in the F2 make it light weight but is really designed for cave diving"

They went on to suggest I look at the AERIS (Oceanic) Accel fin.
I did and they look very good value / light weight. Their (Hollis) comment about buoyancy was a little ambiguous.
"The accel are very similar to the buoyancy of the neutral buoyancy of the F2 fin."

My concern would be that the blade looks very short and if you needed some thrust, would you have it?

If all your diving is warm water from a boat, you might want to consider full foot fins. Not necessarily free dive fins, but full foots with a stiffer blade.

I always found pulling full foot fins on to be a pain, especially on a crowded rubber dingy. I had full foot fins for about half my logged dives and I definitely prefer the booties+buckle - even in warm water.

Both the Accel and F2 are stubby fins. The accels positively buoyant the F2s just neutral. I found the Accels more powerful that the F2s. Neither excel in curves due to short blade. The Mares Avanti Quattros are a powerful fin, lightweight and much better in s current than the other two. This is only my opinion, I own them all. Good luck.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 08:10 AM ----------

The Accels are lighter than the F2s.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 08:42 AM ----------

Neither excel in "currents" not "curves". Edit function is not working.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom