Trying to Decide on First BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found another one (if I decided to go the integrated weight route):

Although I know @Seaweed Doc said that they don't like the Aqua Lung weight pockets. Should I hold off? Thanks again for any advice.

How's the fit? Is the sizing accurate and forgiving?

I have plenty of travel bc's, thinking local but occasional travel,
Seems good for me. I got a M/L and am 6' and around 180 lbs with a 32" pant size. Everything has the normal level of adjustments on the shoulder straps, waist and chest strap. I also don't feel like a turtle with it on despite it being a bit wider than maybe a jacket-style BCD. I could have snugly fit in a medium but opted for the M/L to accommodate thicker wetsuits and potentially a drysuit (have not dried it with drysuit yet).

He is an instructor and he said he sees too many students on the surface pitching their heads forward and back out of the water/struggling to keep their head up (the analogy he used was that Dippy Bird novelty toy. I'm guessing people reading this are rolling their eyes right now). I was skeptical that I would be like that myself but haven't tried one so what could I say?
I'm not sure but think he also said something along the lines of, like in a spirit level, the air will naturally travel around in the bladder to the highest point and, if pinched or obstructed one way or another, may cause an undesirable shift in trim or balance then he somehow connected this as it relates to BCDs. This was opposed to a jacket with side inflation and not jacket with back inflate only. Again, not sold here but just taking in information.
Find another instructor. He doesn't know what he's talking about, has never used a back inflate, doesn't know how to properly weight a diver, or is just lazy and incompetent.
Back inflates do not push you forward. Poor weight distribution, overweighting, and overinflation do that. Pitching forward on the surface, unless unconscious, is user error and lack of proper training.
It's not an equipment problem.
I bet he still teaches people on their knees as well.

Find another instructor. He doesn't know what he's talking about, has never used a back inflate, doesn't know how to properly weight a diver, or is just lazy and incompetent.
Back inflates do not push you forward. Poor weight distribution, overweighting, and overinflation do that. Pitching forward on the surface, unless unconscious, is user error and lack of proper training.
It's not an equipment problem.
I bet he still teaches people on their knees as well.
Right?! I really get the feeling laziness is in play. Good thing he won't be my instructor. I already signed up through a different shop. I think this other one's going to have better quality instruction.

unless unconscious

This is a very big issue indeed. The instructor referenced isn't a bad instructor and one can't summarily dismiss his opinion. There is FAR great chance for floating face down for an unconscious diver, in water, with a BP/W or back-inflate BC than with a properly fitting jacket BC. Try it with the Scubapro Stab jacket.

This is a very big issue indeed. The instructor referenced isn't a bad instructor and one can't summarily dismiss his opinion. There is FAR great chance for floating face down for an unconscious diver, in water, with a BP/W or back-inflate BC than with a properly fitting jacket BC. Try it with the Scubapro Stab jacket.
It's a very, very small issue. The number of divers ever found unconscious, but breathing, on the surface is close to zero. Unconscious and not breathing is unfortunately someday more common, but then it doesn't make any difference which way they are facing.

He is an instructor and he said he sees too many students on the surface pitching their heads forward and back out of the water/struggling to keep their head up (the analogy he used was that Dippy Bird novelty toy. I'm guessing people reading this are rolling their eyes right now). I was skeptical that I would be like that myself but haven't tried one so what could I say?
I'm not sure but think he also said something along the lines of, like in a spirit level, the air will naturally travel around in the bladder to the highest point and, if pinched or obstructed one way or another, may cause an undesirable shift in trim or balance then he somehow connected this as it relates to BCDs. This was opposed to a jacket with side inflation and not jacket with back inflate only. Again, not sold here but just taking in information.
Soon after I was certified, I bought a back inflate BCD, and I used it for about 5 years before I first heard that it would tend to pitch me forward. If no one had told me, I wouldn't have known. I just learned to hold my body in a comfortable position on the surface.
This might be good advice.
There is FAR great chance for floating face down for an unconscious diver, in water, with a BP/W or back-inflate BC than with a properly fitting jacket BC
Far greater? I taught many a Rescue Diver class, and they were mostly done with jacket style BCDs. I never saw any case where we floated a "victim" in which the victim was not floating face down. That is why the first step in the chief rescue scenario is to turn the victim over. If you are floating motionless with a BCD on, you will be on your face, no matter what style you have.

Even my best life jacket holds me face down. It gives you a chance to be rescued, or if you awake, rescue yourself.

If you remain unconscious and nobody finds you, you're dead.

Maybe there's some freaky life jacket designed for unconscious people. I've never worn one in the water ever.

Reactions: KJ.

Back
Top Bottom