Trying to Decide on First BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Atomic BC2 which is back-inflate and all the talk of rolling forward on surface is absolute nonsense and I'm glad I didn't listen to that. Perhaps if you're unconscious it's an issue but if you lay on your back on the surface (think inverted turtle) is is effortless keeping your face out of the water. Can't speak to the specific BC you cited but that's my 2 cents based on my own experience with the perceived major drawback of back-inflate.
I also have a back inflate BCD (ScubaPro SeaHawk 2) and agree with NatuticalNoick. I have been doing drift dives lately and had no issues with using a back inflate bobbing around in the ocean waiting for the boat to pick us up.

Reactions: KJ.
On weights: I hate weight belts. I'm diving a dry suit in salt water which means a lot of weight. I'd rather have it all in the BCD or elsewhere and not around my waist. The main reason for this is I'm a guy, which means I don't have hips. Weight belts tend to slide off (neoprene especially) when you're trying to exit the water on to a beach.
If you decide to stick with a weight belt, get a rubber one - the kind favored by freedivers. They stretch a little when you put them on so they contract when your suit compresses at depth. And the rubber is naturally "grippy," so they don't slip on neoprene like a nylon belt.

Have to love the simplicity of the jacket bc and the weight belt

I will agree that you will get many suggestions to go to a BP/W BCD. However, several of us dive Puget Sound with a conventional BCD. I do because of injuries, other do due to convenience. I will agree that a steel backplate removes the need for ballast weight. I dive both integrated weight and a weight belt. Primarily to move weight off the jacket and near where I have excess buoyancy. My suggestion is to wait until you can rent a BP/W and decide for yourself if you like it as much as your TUSA. If your LDS will not service the TUSA find another LDS, that is just greed and not true service. That being said, there is not much to a BCD other than the inflator valve, release valves, and flushing the bladder. I am not sure what part of WA state you reside but there are good groups all over the state that can help as well. The Seattle area has many shops and several clubs/groups that dive together. I am in central WA but travel to Seattle area for diving. I am more than happy to help if I am close.

I started with a weight integrated BC in July 2004. By July of 2005 I was in a BPW and though I owned a few jacket style BCs over the years (mostly for students) that were weight integrated. I rarely put more than a token amount of lead in the integrated pockets. I used a MAKO rubber freediving weight belt and weight pockets on the cam bands.
There is nothing wrong with your TUSA! Find another shop.
The one that told you that an integrated one is what you should have is unethical and greedy. They are just trying to sell you a BC and improve their bottom line.

Reactions: KJ.
If you are happy with your BCD, find another shop. This one is obviously more interested in selling you new equipment than meeting your needs. Also there's nothing wrong with a weight belt.

That said, if you want to switch, I'm one of those who will advocate for a backplate plus wing (BP/W) and harness. The following video is a pretty balanced comparison. Make sure you read the comments to get the full picture.

It's worth noting that since you are in cold water, a stainless steel backplate will let you get rid of 6-8 pounds of lead. This is probably the best deal on a complete BP/W setup ($424 with a stainless plate). DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package
My opinion is that this "comparison" video is totally misleading because it completely fails to mention back inflate BC's such as the Zeagle Stiletto and Ranger and others....... And..... I'm admittedly biased since I happen to own and dive both.

Here's my opinion which will most certainly be unpopular with the BP/W cult folks.

Pro's of a Zeagle Ranger or Stiletto
  • Completely modular and fully adjustable.
  • Optional back plate to fully accommodate doubles.
  • Basically the same buoyancy trim characteristics on the surface and at depth as a BP/W.
  • Extremely comfortable even in just a rashguard.
  • Double tank cam straps
  • Rear trim weight pockets that can replace the same amount of weight as a backplate
  • D-Rings, pockets and ditchable weight system as needed
Con's
  • Definitely more $$ than a BP/W
  • Does not pack as well as a BP/W (although may actually be smaller and lighter for travel since you can use destination weights in the rear trim pockets to replace the backplate weight.
  • Slightly more overall material to create more drag and positive buoyancy
  • Certain SB members will tell you that BP/W is the only way to dive
PS....Below is a pic of a fully modular Zeagle Ranger taken apart with absolutely no tools needed.

A6JFXj7.jpg

That they are indeed.
We sacrifice a jacket BCD to Zuul every third Friday.

Seriously though @KJ. Try a few things and see what works.

I wouldn't go back to a plain jacket BCD unless I really had to, but I'd be just fine with a Zeagle Ranger or other decent back-inflate BCD as I looked at those before making the jump to BP/W. But that's my personal opinion for things that work for my diving style and body-type.

How do you like it? I am considering getting one next year.
I really like it so far. Just moving from back inflate from jacket style really frees up the front of your body which feels great and I can't say enough about the comfort of the BCD. Trim and buoyancy is great. Build quality all around seems really good and all of their marketing (quick drying, binding-style ratchet camband, quick-release weights etc) lives up to the billing of nice really well-designed features for a premium BCD.

The only "cons" I would say is it's certainly not the lightest BC, although I don't think it's the heaviest either. I had no problem dragging it across the world to Asia in my duffel bag of dive equipment. I was also a bit nervous about checking my bag (fourth element expedition bag, which is not particularly padded or protected) that something might break but not an issue at all. Lastly, because of the red bands at the side that prevent the bladder taco, it's a bit wider and doesn't fold up as small. Again, I did 20+ hours of flying, multiple layovers so I would like to think travelling doesn't get much more painful than that and it managed fine.

TL:DR if you're looking for a travel BC that will fit in a lunch pail, definitely check it out in person first, but if you're okay with the size, it has been excellent.

Back
Top Bottom