Trying to decide on Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikevet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Local dive shop has scubapro ghx console for $325. My old computer was a zoop. I liked it because it was easy to use and cheap. I broke and company refunded my money. So I need a new computer. I only dive 4-5 trips per years for about 20 dives per year. So, I don't want to spend a lot of money.
Trying to decide on console vs wrist. I am worried that if I take a trip in a plane and can only bring my regulator that my regulator won't fit the b c that I rent. then I can't use my computer. Is this a common problem?

They also have an oceanic geo2. I like the small size. Anyone have experience with this computer? They are asking $375 for it. Any thoughts of these or others to,consider!? They now also carry zoop's but are asking $400 for one.

I don't have any experience with Oceanic dive computers, but I will say that I prefer the wrist model and it's what I use. It's easy to carry with you (or wear) when you travel. f you are more comfortable with the Zoop, buy it. It's only $25 more than the Geo. Your regulator should fit on any rental BC.

My regulator has quick disconnect for a scubapro second stage / manual b c fill so the quick disconnect is bigger than the standard (older?) bc connectors that I see on rental b c's. does that make sense ?

If you do not need it right now wait a month or so check out the Deep 6 Gear computer that should be coming out 'soon'. The advance buzz sounds pretty good and a previously discussed price point of about $140 makes it very attractive. If you need a replacement sooner look at the Aeris A300 https://www.amazon.com/Aeris-Computer-Digital-online-computer/dp/B0073YYM5K it is the discontinued Aeris version of the Oceanic VEO3.0. According to the seller and the Aeris website since the Aeris brand was merged with Oceanic, Oceanic still supports and warranties them. At $199 it is a lot of computer very cheap.

I'm quite happy with the Mares Puck wrist computer. It's a low cost entry level computer but has a lot of nice features (nitrox, deep stop, ascent speed alarm, etc). It can be connected to a PC to download dive logs with the optional USB interface. The PC software is called Dive Organizer and is a free download. A single button takes a bit of getting used to but limits the likelihood of leaking.

The Geo2 is a good computer. I've dived it as backup to my VT3 for 5 years, 700 dives. Pay some attention to the decompression algorithm you will be diving

Love our Oceanic pro plus 2.1. Big numbers, back lit, easy to program, air integrated....did I mention huge numbers? It also figure dive time remaining based on your air consumption and depth. Great computers and I think they can still be had around the $400 mark new/ 200 used.

Downloadable if that's your thing as well.

Good luck,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom