Trying to decide between two regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nrengle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok guys, about to make my first reg purchase. I dive mostly quarries as does my wife. We are starting to accumulate gear, and she's leaving the tech side up to me to do (I do better on researching, etc). Anyways, I'm looking at either the Aqualung Titan LX Supreme, or the Apeks ATX40. I definitely want something for cold water since those thermoclines can get cold, and better safe than sorry I'd think. I've read the whole DIN vs Yoke debate and have come to my own conclusion to what I need to do there. I'm just looking for someone with a little more experience with these regs to give me some insight on if there's any discernible differences between the two. Being that if I go with the ATX40 I'll be saving about 65 dollars, and will more than likely dump that into a octo upgrade. But I want to make sure I'm actually reading everything right over at Aqualung's site. They both seem pretty close to the same for me, they're both sealed, both balanced or over balanced, the only difference I can really see is the Auto Closure Device is available on the Titan and not the ATX40. Is it really worth it? And on a side note, both are serviceable at two different LDS here, so not a worry to me there.

Thanks for any and all input everyone.

well if this helps any, aqua lung distributes apex in north america.

to be honest, you can't really go wrong with either.....both are workhorses, both will work very well in cold water, both will breathe fine.

the only thing i can think of is that the atx is an older model that apex has since replaced with the xtx line. i believe the first stage is still the ds4/dst model.

could be wrong here but someone better in the know can chime in.

long and short is, either reg will work great.

Neither? Have you looked at HOG yet? Cheaper and very similar design/copy to Apeks. Cold water versions are available, and parts are 1/2 the cost of Apeks. Most any shop worthy of fixing regs can rebuild them. Get the same regs for primary (in mouth), and secondary (Bungeed around neck or as an octo) and you two will have a great set of regs for less money.

Ever here of a Hogarthian setup? Backplate and wing, instead of a jacket BC? If your research hasn't included that as a recreational diver you might want to do more research before buying gear. Feel free to ask questions.

I have the Hog Reg and the Apeks ATX 40. They tune up the same, breath the same as far as I can tell, and they are both quite rugged. I haven't tried the Titan. I plan on picking up a HOG set for my doubles.

I can only speak for the Titans but they are really nice regs. However, I just replaced mine with HOG. I even ordered HOGS, other line of regs too, EDGE.

HOG really gives you more bang for your buck. But you can't go wrong with the Titan.

By taking the quality out of products they can make that price point a reality for you. It's very dangerous to be set on a price alone when shopping. Items of high quality may cost more than you dreamed, but you have to remember that one great, high-quality item replaces many mediocre items.

I like both regulator but I would go with Aqualung I like the look of the Aqualung regulator better. And service parts are free for life if you maintain the semi-annual service on the regulator with both companies.
Also both companies are worldwide.

By taking the quality out of products they can make that price point a reality for you. It's very dangerous to be set on a price alone when shopping. Items of high quality may cost more than you dreamed, but you have to remember that one great, high-quality item replaces many mediocre items.
What regs are you calling mediocre because of price? Have you personally used a set?

My motto is "Buy it once, buy it right, and never buy it again". I like quality, for the best price I can get.

I like both regulator but I would go with Aqualung I like the look of the Aqualung regulator better. And service parts are free for life if you maintain the semi-annual service on the regulator with both companies. Also both companies are worldwide.
How much are parts for those expensive regs? HOG has basically the same parts as a high end Apeks, yet rebuild kits cost half the price. Hmmm...

If you want to have a conversation about parts for life, please take that one over to the Scubapro forum. I have a very expensive top of the line Scubapro reg set, two of them since I dive double regs, that I let the parts for life go after their policy change and requirements went to heck. I plan to sell them in about a year and a half to get a set of HOG's, as I find the HOG's to be every bit as good. In fact I can sell my used regs for more than a set of HOG's will cost to replace them with.

If the OP has a chance to come to the DAN BBQ at Portage Quarry in Ohio next week I'll let him try a set of HOG's. I'll be there with mine. The same ones I take under the ice. I'll show him the kits and the schematics for the regs. And as far as the quality remark goes I'll put the fit, finish, and performance up against any other reg. IF quality means a fancy box that you pay through the nose for, so called "free parts" that you actually do pay for on the front end when you buy the reg, and the annual labor costs for a rebuild you have to pay or get screwed over on your free parts then no, that is not the case. But if you mean quality in a sense of a proven and improved on design, dependability, and scads of divers trusting them to depths of 300 feet and thousands of feet back in caves, then yes they are quality regs. And as just stated if the OP wants to try one out just show up at Portage next week with your BC and a tank and I'll have one set up for you to go on a dive with me.

NCadiver. I'm not too worried about the $ I'm not going to spend a ton, but I'm not going to skimp, hence the question on the two regs. They both seem to be a good middle of the road solution. I've asked about the HOG's directly to Jim. The big reason I went with the two choices above is because of the two local shops that can service them. And the fact that my wife isn't nearly as technical as me, and I travel ALOT for work, so she needs something she doesn't have to worry about repairing herself.

Other than that, thanks everyone for the input, and giving me some things to think about.

Jim I sent you a PM with a few questions.

And as just stated if the OP wants to try one out just show up at Portage next week with your BC and a tank and I'll have one set up for you to go on a dive with me.
I think the OP needs to borrow your BP/W and tank too.

Nrengle, my LDS used to take a week or more to service my regs. I could have shipped them off to a more reliable place and had them rebuilt for less money. Actually I kinda did start doing that, since I would leave them in Monterey and he would ship them to me, once they were rebuilt. Local service is only so important. Plus if they can service Apek's they can service HOG. If not, they probably shouldn't be working on regs period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom