Trying to decide between two regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neither? Have you looked at HOG yet? Cheaper and very similar design/copy to Apeks. Cold water versions are available, and parts are 1/2 the cost of Apeks. Most any shop worthy of fixing regs can rebuild them. Get the same regs for primary (in mouth), and secondary (Bungeed around neck or as an octo) and you two will have a great set of regs for less money.

Ever here of a Hogarthian setup? Backplate and wing, instead of a jacket BC? If your research hasn't included that as a recreational diver you might want to do more research before buying gear. Feel free to ask questions.

I have seen plenty of threads on SB where people push a BP/W setup in response to a "which BCD" question.

This has to be the first time I have seen it in reply to a "which regulator" question!

I have seen plenty of threads on SB where people push a BP/W setup in response to a "which BCD" question.

This has to be the first time I have seen it in reply to a "which regulator" question!
Just what do you think the dive shop is going to do when a potential customer walks in the door? "You should buy a complete crappage"...errr package. Wish someone had saved me from buying gear twice, which is why I brought it up. I made it 20 dives in a Scubapro Knighthawk before selling the $500 of wasted money to buy something that cost me $360 and still is in use today.

Oh and GO SOLAR too!

He can't make the BBQ. But if he had I could have let him dive the regs and the 23lb singles wing and al plate I'm going to have with me as well.:D
I'll be using the 32 with my steel 95's and SS plate.

I would go with Apeks but for no particular reason. Just personal preference:) I just like how they are machined ( the 1st stage)
IMHO Apeks will have a better resale value

I can only speak for the Titans but they are really nice regs. However, I just replaced mine with HOG. I even ordered HOGS, other line of regs too, EDGE.

HOG really gives you more bang for your buck. But you can't go wrong with the Titan.

Titan reg is not the same as a Titan LX reg.

What regs are you calling mediocre because of price? Have you personally used a set?

My motto is "Buy it once, buy it right, and never buy it again". I like quality, for the best price I can get.

How much are parts for those expensive regs? HOG has basically the same parts as a high end Apeks, yet rebuild kits cost half the price. Hmmm...

If you want to have a conversation about parts for life, please take that one over to the Scubapro forum. I have a very expensive top of the line Scubapro reg set, two of them since I dive double regs, that I let the parts for life go after their policy change and requirements went to heck. I plan to sell them in about a year and a half to get a set of HOG's, as I find the HOG's to be every bit as good. In fact I can sell my used regs for more than a set of HOG's will cost to replace them with.

What keeping hog/edge from changing their policies they can do the same thing as scubapro. Also all it takes is one lawsuit from somebody spouse and they will stop sell part to the individual.

NCadiver. I'm not too worried about the $ I'm not going to spend a ton, but I'm not going to skimp, hence the question on the two regs. They both seem to be a good middle of the road solution. I've asked about the HOG's directly to Jim. The big reason I went with the two choices above is because of the two local shops that can service them. And the fact that my wife isn't nearly as technical as me, and I travel ALOT for work, so she needs something she doesn't have to worry about repairing herself.

Other than that, thanks everyone for the input, and giving me some things to think about.

Jim I sent you a PM with a few questions.

Hi nrengle, The first part I said was not aim at you. You ask a question and some of these guys just don't answer it. All they had to do is answer the question then state there opinion. Have fun with your diving.

Thank you guys. So far we've only picked up one reg set for my wife. I'm still on the fence. We got her the Titan LX Supreme so she can take it to the shops here and have it serviced no problem. Same with her BCD she really likes the jacket style so got her a Pro QD.

I on the other hand am still looking at things especially after a long talk with Jim (turns out we worked/work in the same industry, proving a theory I had about how small the world really is).

This conversation is good for me, primarily because I'm looking at buying a new setup. I was between HOG and Zeagle, and at this point I'm leaning 100% HOG. I don't care about the fancy box, it gets recycled anyway, or the marketing. I care about breathing underwater. From what I've seen, it seems as though HOG does it pretty well, and happens to have a good price. So I'm with the others and will take two.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This conversation is good for me, primarily because I'm looking at buying a new setup. I was between HOG and Zeagle, and at this point I'm leaning 100% HOG. I don't care about the fancy box, it gets recycled anyway, or the marketing. I care about breathing underwater. From what I've seen, it seems as though HOG does it pretty well, and happens to have a good price. So I'm with the others and will take two.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would not be that fast in making a decision. Zeagles breath great, their parts and kits are sold freely. Jim Fox has redesigned the first stage and IMHO its cleaner than Apeks. Zeagle has great support and presense on the board.

Have to agree that the Zeagle customer support is second to none.
Jim sent me a new second stage case when I found a crack caused by someone over torquing the barrel lock nut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom