Question Trying to decide between an electric powered or gasoline powered MCH-6 Icon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iain...
...Get over yourself and please contribute positive information and not just defamations.
Ironically, the last 2 posts from Iain are some of the more information dense and non-bombastic posts he as made. He quoted the actual standards of both jurisdictions, then and now. While his usual presentation grates on me, I always read his posts for the information they contain.

ALL the people on this board with significant compressor knowledge seem to agree that the unit you ordered is less than ideal, and that it may not be "technically" supposed to be sold for your purpose. They have presented some evidence that, while it met standards from several years ago, it doesn't meet modern standards(or at least that Honda does not warranty that it does). Just because it was sold it to you, does not mean it was supposed to be. Several of them have suggested that, with care, you could get away with it, and explained how. I hope you at least take that advice.

In short, you seem at least as egotistical and dismissive in your responses to them as they seem in making them, given their relative knowledge on the subject.

Iain... Bombastic retorts are not incisive or helpful to those viewing these posts. and please contribute positive information
Let me give it a go.

There are 21 different types of Duck found in your neck of the world in and around Oregon.
22 if you include the Ducks Football team and 23 and counting if your count the Sitting Ducks
who buy these high RPM types of compressor with petrol (gasoline) engines for breathing air.

Almost as many problems (sorry we are contributing positive vibes here let me change that )
Almost as many questions that you need answers when considering a MCH-6 new or second hand
including the ICON.

We started with off the Honda engine as the first serious consideration, and the
NOx Co2 CO CH4 and N2O concerns even at present levels of ppm contamination

Now if you can't be a good example of a sports diver considering buying an engine driven Breathing Air compressor.

Then you may end up being a terrible warning. Iain

Ironically, the last 2 posts from Iain are some of the more information dense and non-bombastic posts he as made. He quoted the actual standards of both jurisdictions, then and now. While his usual presentation grates on me, I always read his posts for the information they contain.

ALL the people on this board with significant compressor knowledge seem to agree that the unit you ordered is less than ideal, and that it may not be "technically" supposed to be sold for your purpose. They have presented some evidence that, while it met standards from several years ago, it doesn't meet modern standards(or at least that Honda does not warranty that it does). Just because it was sold it to you, does not mean it was supposed to be. Several of them have suggested that, with care, you could get away with it, and explained how. I hope you at least take that advice.

In short, you seem at least as egotistical and dismissive in your responses to them as they seem in making them, given their relative knowledge on the subject.
L13,

Guess I missed it. "Quoted the actual standards of both jurisdictions " ? What civilized vs non-civilized? "ALL [your caps] the people....less than ideal"...and "technically not supposed to be sold for your purpose"? What the heck does that proport to mean? Only the anointed significant ones have the keys to the kingdom? Huge assumptions that are based on what information? Good grief talk about bombastic: "just because it was sold to you, does not mean it was supposed to be"; by who's standards? Yours, Ian's and "ALL" the people in know? "you could get away with it", "hope you at least take that advice"; seriously?

Another point: High RPM [what constitutes 'high'] leads to contaminated air? Bauer Oceanus 2,850 rpm / MCH-6 Icon 2,800 rpm...talk about generalizations promulgating "proof".

I do not profess to be "significantly" experienced in Hp compressor inner sanctum; I am learning and welcome logical, factual/objective information. But so much of this back and forth is none of that and only undocumented speculative points of view from an obviously biased prism.

Tell you what, you naysayers continue to have at it and keep talking in your echo chamber. I withdraw from this theatrical arena and yes I am being dismissive because: "Move along, nothing to see here". Out here.

L13,

Guess I missed it. "Quoted the actual standards of both jurisdictions " ?

allowable 50ppm Sulfer emission While at the same time our American cousins were happy accepting an 80ppm emission.
and
Times move on and they are now at 15ppm level max while we here in the civilised part of the world have a maximum allowable requirement of 10ppm

What civilized vs non-civilized?
Bombastic, but less so than usual for him. And he is worth listening to in spite of it.

"ALL [your caps] the people....less than ideal"...and "technically not supposed to be sold for your purpose"? What the heck does that proport to mean?
Read through the thread again. The vast majority think you are making a mistake. Several of the posters who are known to be the most knowledgeable about compressors are the ones you are arguing the most with.

You came here for advice from the community's experience. You didn't like what you got. Now you are blaming them instead of listening. Some like Iain are bombastic, but they are experience and knowledgeable. Not anointed, not always right (I've argued with some of them too, when I thought they weren't), but almost always at least worth listening to.

etc.

"...The vast majority think you are making a mistake..." I have to laugh at this. Because I too, was fooled at first by what seemed like "expert" knowledge from a few trolls on this board. Yes they know enough to sound like they know what they're talking about. But people who actually own and use the MCH-6 compressor get insulted and shouted down when they contribute to the conversation. Most people don't like conflict so they just stop coming here. I own and operate an MCH-6 compressor. I have three (now four) friends who all own MCH-6 compressors and we love them. But none of them will have anything to do with the ScubaBoard forum because of the Trolls that spoil it. The loudest (and most erroneous) voices are people who most likely don't own nor have ever operated a Coltri MCH-6 compressor.

So let's have a show of hands... Who in this discussion actually owns, or at least has ever operated a Coltri MCH-6 compressor?

"...The vast majority think you are making a mistake..." I have to laugh at this. Because I too, was fooled at first by what seemed like "expert" knowledge from a few trolls on this board. Yes they know enough to sound like they know what they're talking about. But people who actually own and use the MCH-6 compressor get insulted and shouted down when they contribute to the conversation. Most people don't like conflict so they just stop coming here. I own and operate an MCH-6 compressor. I have three (now four) friends who all own MCH-6 compressors and we love them. But none of them will have anything to do with the ScubaBoard forum because of the Trolls that spoil it. The loudest (and most erroneous) voices are people who most likely don't own nor have ever operated a Coltri MCH-6 compressor.

So let's have a show of hands... Who in this discussion actually owns, or at least has ever operated a Coltri MCH-6 compressor?
Been running one for 7 years.

I have sold three in the last year. Serviced 5 or so. You could say I am familiar with them.

Bauer Oceanus 2,850 rpm / MCH-6 Icon 2,800 rpm...talk about generalizations promulgating "proof".
The Bauer Oceanus has an oil pump. Been fitted since March 2000 some 23 years ago now.
The Coltri MCH-6 and Icon use an oil slinger, dip stick.
I felt you needed to know that. The reason will come later. Iain

Great Idea SurfLung.

Let's line up all the Ducks so to speak in a row and we can even invite that nice talking Nuvair rep, who dealt with Wallowa "with such candor, honesty and based on years of experience". ROFL

Maybe he can help you all deal with the reality of what a Coltri MCH-6 is really in full detail.
While we wait for him and Edward to post his test results maybe we can go down that list of 21 questions
you need to ask and consider before Ducking out. What you think? we agree Ducks in line. Iain

Back
Top Bottom