Try Scuba Accident..what happens next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And in English

"A MONTH AGO, ROCIO LETICIA GOMEZ DIED AFTER HER BAPTISM DIVE WITH DIVING SCHOOL PURA VIDA DIVING KOH TAO. NO NEWS ON THE “INVESTIGATION”, MAYBE SSI HAS ALREADY STARTED TO INVESTIGATE THE ACCIDENT, DIVING SCHOOL OR THE INSTRUCTOR NAHUEL OSCAR MARTINO? HOPEFULLY THEY HAD!

Monday December 17th 2018 Rocio Leticia Gomez, argentinian 39 years old hired her first ever dive with Escuela Pura Vida in Koh Tao Thailand. Her instructor was Nahuel Oscar Martino, also argentinian.

First dive ok.
Second dive, they lost her, she disappeared, they don’t know how long she was underwater without the mouthpiece breathing. Another instructor from Pura Vida found her from the surface using snorkel gear. She was lying unconscious on the bottom, 7 meters depth with no regulator on her mouth (according to Ko Samui Hospital report from Pura Vida Staff statement)

She suffered anoxia, her brain was deprived of an adequate oxygen supply. She got RCP from 2 clients, a guy from Peru who was a doctor, Fernando and her partner, a dutch girl, also doctor. We haven’t got any information of them, but they did their best I can imagine. All I have to say to them is Thanks. She suffered 3 cardiac arrest when rescued and she has develop GTC seizure en route to hospital the night of the accident while reaching Ko Samui Hospital. She was flown to Bangkok on Wednesday late afternoon, Thursday she was declared with brain death. She was given mechanical ventilator and had heart medicine. She died on friday night.

When we got to Koh Tao for an explanation, Arlet, Spanish Manager of Pura Vida started the conversation saying Rocio got lost, she didn’t follow safety procedures which says if someone get lost she must search for a minute their fellow divers and go back to surface to wait for their instructor. How can someone follow the safety procedures if she had a hard attack, if she got nervous and couldn’t handle the situation, if she by any chance took the mouthpiece regulator because she felt it was not working right. We don’t know what happened and I don’t think we will ever know. We were expecting to have a conversation with the instructor NAHUEL OSCAR
MARTINO or the head of the Diving School, a spanish guy called Sigor. None was there to look at us and explained what happened. NAHUEL OSCAR MARTINO was negligent, he wasn’t taking care of his customers underwater, or at least of Rocio. And as being a baptism he should have been more than present.

Rocio went down with NAHUEL OSCAR MARTINO, her instructor and a couple of Spain. Its well know that is always better to dive with a buddy, in order to take care of this person and he/she take care of you. Where was NAHUEL OSCAR MARTINO when Rocio needed him?
On the local police station they informed us Rocio had some issues while she was going underwater the second time. She went up again with her instructor and fix the mouthpiece regulator or diving mask. With this situation going on, I would assume he should have been with her at all times!"

Continued...

"Pura Vida version was SHE GOT LOST! UNBELIEVABLE!!! IT WAS HER FAULT SHE DIDNT FOLLOW SAFETY MEASURES. Arlet, Pura Vida manager said to us she believed NAHUEL OSCAR MARTINO had done everything he should do on a situation like that, he acted 100% correctly, and I answered her with Rocio’s death that was impossible!

Sigor, spanish owner of Pura Vida, NEVER SHOWED UP. We spoke on the phone on December 28th, one day before getting to koh Tao and told him we wanted to get together with him and NAHUEL OSCAR MARTINO, but he never replied. That day he flew to Span to spend his holidays with his family. He was in Bangkok dropping Rocio’s stuff at Argentina Embassy and he didn’t tell us. He didn’t want to see us.
Arlet, said Nahuel “HAD ALREADY HAD ENOUGH”

I bought plane tickets to fly with my sister knowing Rocio had brain death.
The day we flew we found out she had died already.
After going to 3 different hospital in Bangkok we found her body.
We spoke to the doctor who took care of her and he said she arrived in a very unstable condition.
We were in the cremation ceremony in a temple in the outskirts of Bangkok and got her ashes to drop them in Thailand sea.
We think the least they could have done is to be present the day we went to KOH TAO for an explanation…"

(sorry having serious technical difficulties trying to post this altogether))

"We never got the names or contact details of the witness of the event. We don’t have proof of any test to the oxygen tanks Rocio used. Being her ex partner, not officially family member I couldn’t request for an autopsy to find real cause of death (family dint want to). Neither have a copy of the police report. A week after Rocio’s death, NAHUEL OSCAR MARTINO was again on a bar at night in KOH TAO.

This post is written so people can find out what happened to ROCIO LETICIA GOMEZ.
Accidents do happen and most of the time they are not made public. Most Diving Schools in Koh Tao when I talked to them weren’t surprised this accident happened in Pura Vida.

Sigor, we called you twice when we found out you were in Bangkok leaving Rocio’s stuff. You never answered. We sent you an audio thru whatsapp and again, never answered it.
Its really shameful how you handle this situation.
What goes around, comes around. Everyone involved here knows whether if they will be able to sleep again with the clean conscious. Cant understand what NAHUEL OSCAR MARTINO was doing in Koh Tao the day we were there if it wasn’t to talk to us. We wanted to see you in the eyes so you could explain us how YOU LOST ROCIO and she ended up dead!"

"Complete rejection to Pura Vida. They should not be operating anymore if you take into consideration this is their second fatal incident. December 2014 Norwegian first time diver Silje Mathisen was killed when a Pura Vida boat captain run over her and killed her immediately also in Koh Tao.

My name is Franco and I am Rocio’s ex partner."

He posted it in English and Spanish, trying to bring attention to what has happened. Very sad accident.

Here is a music video “Death Island of the Setting Sun” which is a cover of HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN:

And here is a video about the non-reporting of the tragic death of Rocio Gomez following her scuba lesson with Pura Vida Diving on Koh Tao Thailand (Tailandia):

Please note that it was a Pura Vida Diving boat that struck and killed Silje Mathisen on her first diving lesson with Scuba Junction on Koh Tao on 22 December 2014. He pleaded guilty to negligence causing death but the instructor, Ricky Collins managed to return to England and has not faced justice despite being charged.

The relevance of this being?
Unnecessary to share such nonsense videos.

As if to prove my point that the standard operating procedure on Koh Tao is to BLAME THE VICTIM & SHOOT THE MESSENGER, a few posters in recent days have criticised me for sharing information about the deaths of: Shelly Bot (50, Canada) struck by taxi boat; & Silje Mathisen (22, Norway) struck & killed by Pura Vida boat.

Perhaps they deserve to be thanked for proving my point & exposing how irresponsible they are?

By the way, at the time of posting, the death of Rocio Gomez has STILL been kept out of the mainstream media within Thailand. It is a sick situation. Life is cheap. Tourism income is preserved at all costs.

Thanks for posting the message from her partner in Spanish too :) It's easier for me to read in the spanish than the autotranslated english LOL

Not to mention the Samui times is a heap of ****. Not even in Thailand and conatantly writing ******** articles to tarnish the islands reputation.
Get a life.

This post was to look at an accident and see what happens next, not spread ******** rumours and promote your nonsense articles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom