Try Scuba Accident..what happens next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexx007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I hope this is an appropriate place to post this. Based on a situation that has happened recently, I am just wondering the procedures and things that would normally happen to a dive centre in the event of such an accident.

A woman goes missing on the second dive of a "Try Dive" (SSI). She is found with her regulator out of her mouth unconscious. Taken to hospital, transferred to another hospital and a few days later passes away.

I have an idea in my head as to how things should be dealt with of course, but I am just wondering if anyone knows officially the course of action that should have been taken by the diving agency involved, in this case SSI.

I have an idea in my head as to how things should be dealt with of course, but I am just wondering if anyone knows officially the course of action that should have been taken by the diving agency involved, in this case SSI.

Are you implying the dive center/instructor involved did not do the correct thing?

No. It happened where I use to live, so I have only heard from sources there.

I am just curious as to what SHOULD be happening from the certifying agency, like SSI.

Seems pretty simple. An investigation by law enforcement to determine the facts of the case. Should also be an internal inquiry by the agency. Only after establishing unbiased sequence of events supported by facts and eyewitness accounts could you move any further.

What you have posted is a very skeletal and has insufficient detail to draw any real conclusions.

You can’t count on law enforcement in most of these cases, not because they are covering for the instructors involved but because in most areas they simply don’t have the knowledge to determine that the instructor(s) involved were guilty of any misconduct.

It seems like local law enforcement has done there part, if you can call it that.. money makes things happen in this part of the world.

I also thought the dive agency involved should be doing an investigation..haven't heard a confirmation on this. But good to know those are the relavant steps.

Unless you are directly involved with the accident, it is very unlikely the agency will provide you any information. Read zero.
The only information you would get from the agency would be from the instructor, which would not be wise on their part.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved from A&I to Scuba Related Court Cases

It might not belong here either but it is not an accident report so I moved it.​

More than likely this would be the way this plays out. Someone said local Law Enforcement will do an investigation. Yes, They will do the preliminary investigation which would consist of interviewing witnesses, crew mates, dive operator, family members and the instructor she was supposed to be with, paramedics, hospital staff who treated her at the hospital. Law enforcement will also try to get a direct family member or spouse to sign a medical release so that the medical records can be obtained which will cover obtaining records from her primary care doctor to see if there was anything of concern. Then of course experts will have to get involved to confirm all findings. There will be the coroners report as well which will show cause of death which looks like a drowning but you never know what underlying condition she may have had. Meanwhile, there will be a hungry attorney that will take the case after all the results are out. if someone is or partially at some fault then of course the lawyer will want to see if there is an insurance company involved for restitution. This will go through the courts and in the end, someone may be found guilty of some type of culpable negligence and may be sentenced by the judge. Then of course there may be a civil wrongful death suit if someone is found guilty of negligence. Lets say she had a medical condition that she did not even know she had. Then it may just be an accident. Example: lets say she had a massive heart attack that had nothing to do with being on a dive. This is why you need a medical form when you answer yes to any questions for diving. It is a sort of liability shifter to the doctor who signed and the person themselves.If it was determined that nothing anyone could do would save her then there is most likely no one at fault to be charged. there are many details that go along with this whole incident but that is probably the most likely track it will go.

Since you don't give any indication of where this happened, any description of involvement by local authorities is either highly speculative, or very general.

Your actual question is about action by the training agency. I don't know the SSI system, but here is the very general process outline from PADI.
https://www.padi.com/sites/default/files/documents/about-padi/7.2.4 quality mgmt flowchart.pdf
I would think all of the majors would have a similar process. The main goal is to determine what, if anything, could or should have been done differently, with an eye to seeing that it doesn't happen again. If standards and/or common sense were not followed, there will be consequences for the member. If all standards were followed and the incident was out of the member's control, PADI will be highly involved and supportive of the member if any litigation occurs. And if a pattern emerges that suggests a need to review/change a standard, that could also be a result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom