Truk Lagoon Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone

I am new to this board. I have been diving since 1986 and I am a PADI certified Rescue diver. My son and I are planning a trip to Truk from US in 2019. I was wondering the best way to get to Truk and any recommendations you might have as to live aboards and things to do / places to see.

Thanks
Tony

I was on the Odyssey and highly recommend it over the Thorfin. It is excellent wreck diving. As far as things to see outside of the diving that is about it. The island is very poor and I would not recommend walking around at night especially. Getting to Truk is a long flight and United is probably your best bet.

How old is your son and what are your dive experience levels-Advanced Nitrox, CCR, etc?

United and Air Niugini are basically the only airlines that flies to the island.

There are three liveaboards and two land based dive operations. The liveaboards are Thorfinn, Odyssey, and the Siren Master - the Siren master is only at Truk for part of the year and is just starting up operations again after being damaged in a storm. The land based options are Truk Stop and Blue Lagoon Dive Shop. In terms of liveaboards, Odyssey above all others, full stop, no question. On the land based, you could go with either, but I like Truk Stop as its closer to the airport/main town.

There is not much to do on the island. You will be diving, hanging out, internet, diving.

Another vote for the Odyssey.
I've been aboard twice, and really enjoyed the trips. Nice big stable vessel with effective air conditioning... which is my way of saying "comfortable".
Have a great trip and please post a trip report when you get back.

Welcome to SB ScubaTony. Its a great place to hang out during surface intervals. Friendly and knowledgeable people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom