TRUK and YAP in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunblock and mozzie repellent a good idea, not readily available in Yap and doubtful in Chuuk, but easy to get in Palau.

no need for innoculations

a bottle of aspirin and sudafed wouldn't be remiss, can get here but tends to be expensive and stores close early and not open on sundays

a lot of people carry general antibiotics as well but those can be had at the hospital here no problem, i would say that the hospital in chuuk best avoided... :D

Good advice. I attend to avoid the hospital on Chuuk and Yap, and any place else, if I can. :) Will take bug stuff to ward off the itchies and aspirin. That's valuable info. Thanks again. Is there a recompression chamber on those islands?

Mike Veitch:
sunblock and mozzie repellent a good idea, not readily available in Yap and doubtful in Chuuk, but easy to get in Palau.

no need for innoculations

a bottle of aspirin and sudafed wouldn't be remiss, can get here but tends to be expensive and stores close early and not open on sundays

a lot of people carry general antibiotics as well but those can be had at the hospital here no problem, i would say that the hospital in chuuk best avoided... :D

Chuuk does have a small chamber, it is very pricey and best avoided }:) there is another bigger better one planned to be built with the money from the diving registration fee. However as the goverment there is appaling at getting anything done, alot of the operators are taking the money for the registrations and not passing it on as they dont bother collecting it anyway?!

Seems like the deeper dives occur on Truk, which might make a chamber a bit necessary? How does one get from Truk to Yap if they needed a chamber?

Mike Veitch:
Yap has a chamber yes. I don't believe chuuk has one, but i could be wrong

Aren't all chambers pricey? Do they accept PADI and DAN?

+Jon+:
Chuuk does have a small chamber, it is very pricey and best avoided }:) there is another bigger better one planned to be built with the money from the diving registration fee. However as the goverment there is appaling at getting anything done, alot of the operators are taking the money for the registrations and not passing it on as they dont bother collecting it anyway?!

Chuuk has got a small chamber.

I'm not sure about the availability of someone to operate it though....

if you get bent the cost will be the last of your concerns.

Pilot i would not dive ANYWHERE without some kind of specific dive insurance.
Both padi and dan offer good plans that will cover you to any depth, they are just agents for the insurance companys.
The dives in truk are mostly deep 30m+ with the better IMHO ones in 50m+ if your not comfortable doing deco dives forget the deep ones. But you will be missing out :(

Yes, I have PADI dive ins. You're right, go no place to dive without it.

I have never done a deco dive before but might attempt it if all the elements are right. I'm told they hang tanks at 5m, 15ft, for your safety stop? I'm also told that there is plenty of wrecks to see at 130 ft and above?

+Jon+:
Pilot i would not dive ANYWHERE without some kind of specific dive insurance.
Both padi and dan offer good plans that will cover you to any depth, they are just agents for the insurance companys.
The dives in truk are mostly deep 30m+ with the better IMHO ones in 50m+ if your not comfortable doing deco dives forget the deep ones. But you will be missing out :(

If no one is qualified to run it, they don't have one. That's not too reassuring :shakehead. yes, if I get bent, cost will not be my first concern.

Tassie_Rohan:
Chuuk has got a small chamber.

I'm not sure about the availability of someone to operate it though....

if you get bent the cost will be the last of your concerns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom