TRUK and YAP in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't know that. Good for them...

Diver Dennis:
I didn't know that. Good for them...

Some of the Islanders saw these atrocities and were able to give testimony. Two American flyers, as an example, were strung up and a score of Japanese took turns bayonneting them, stabbing and spitting on them. They were then beheaded. Very awful and extremely sad.

pilot fish:
Some of the Islanders saw these atrocities and were able to give testimony. Two American flyers, as an example, were strung up and a score of Japanese took turns bayonneting them, stabbing and spitting on them. They were then beheaded. Very awful and extremely sad.
barbaric, practicing bushido on hapless victims. Read "rape of Nanking" if you want more of the atrocities.

clgsamson:
barbaric, practicing bushido on hapless victims. Read "rape of Nanking" if you want more of the atrocities.

I know of that and did some very light reading on that topic over the years. They actually threw Chinese babies in the air and impaled them on their bayonets. They herded American POW's into a pit and set them on fire with gasoline in the Philippines at the close of the war so they would not be around to give testimony.

On a silmiiar note- saw "Letters from Iwo Jima" this past weekend. Eastwood did a masterful job. It is a powerful movie because of perspective. My only fault with this movie is that it made the Japanese seem very honorable, which contradicts the thousands of cases of barbaric atrocites to the Allies. What they did to the Australian and British is as bad as what they did to us.

I wonder if I will be diving with Japanese in Truk and how I will feel about that?

Diver Dennis:
I don't think there are many left from the war that would be diving. This is a different time.

You're right of course. I was thinking of thier sons. I have very mixed and confused thinking along these lines. I would like an opportunity to meet them and feel the history but am appaled at some of thier actions back then. I keep reminding myself that it was just a few that made the whole seem like that, as it is with all countries, mine own included.

I saw a photo of a bunch of Japanese soldiers and sailors in a group photo on Truk recently. The war is over and they are now a good ally. Life is strange.

Let's not forget that in the past we've had U.S. soldiers on trial for atrocities and presently there are some "U.S. Marines" on trial for "murder". Sure wouldn't want someone to hold a grudge on me that I had no part or control of. Would you, PF?

pilot fish:
You're right of course. I was thinking of thier sons. I have very mixed and confused thinking along these lines. I would like an opportunity to meet them and feel the history but am appaled at some of thier actions back then. I keep reminding myself that it was just a few that made the whole seem like that, as it is with all countries, mine own included.

I saw a photo of a bunch of Japanese soldiers and sailors in a group photo on Truk recently. The war is over and they are now a good ally. Life is strange.

Jim Kerr:
Let's not forget that in the past we've had U.S. soldiers on trial for atrocities and presently there are some "U.S. Marines" on trial for "murder". Sure wouldn't want someone to hold a grudge on me that I had no part or control of. Would you, PF?

Atrocities? What atrocities are you referrring to? You are not mistaking wrongful death in the heat of battle with cold blooded atrocitiy are you? NOTHING we did in WWII or in Iraq comes near the crimes of what the enemy did to us and the Allies: Australia, Britan, Canada and France.

I will respect the wrecks I dive on because those poor souls did not commit atrocities but were victims of their expanionist Country. I can't help but carry some bagagge from what I know of history, but it is not for me to judge. That has already occured.

Semper Fi

Many Japanese dive truk, I suggest you check your "baggage" at customs. Your own country does not have such a spotless record after all. A diver is a diver, and underwater were all air breathing aliens :p

pilot fish:
Atrocities? What atrocities are you referrring to? You are not mistaking wrongful death in the heat of battle with cold blooded atrocitiy are you? NOTHING we did in WWII or in Iraq comes near the crimes of what the enemy did to us and the Allies: Australia, Britan, Canada and France.

I will respect the wrecks I dive on because those poor souls did not commit atrocities but were victims of their expanionist Country. I can't help but carry some bagagge from what I know of history, but it is not for me to judge. That has already occured.

Semper Fi
Some Japanese would say the fire-bombing of Tokyo, or the dropping of the Atomic Bombs were WWII atrocities (doesn't matter anyway --call it "The Victor's Justice". The Pacific Theater was America's War and was won with a strategy as we saw fit).

The best way to do Chuuk is the Truk Odyssey Liveaboard; they actually motor over to the wrecks were you can have more dives per day than traveling over from a land based operation. Excellent Tech and Gas mixing support (only downside is that it's too expensive to ship Helium out there to use): http://www.trukodyssey.com/tech.html

Unfortunately, Truk Odyssey is booked solid years in advance. However, if traveling by yourself and are willing to share a cabin, I would still try to call them for a chance availability or cancellation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom