Question Truefins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Facebook review... We are deleting the current Facebook page, and will probably create a new Facebook page. Some type of international glitch occurred with Truefin Facebook that can't be solved unless the Truefin Facebook page is deleted. I think it will probably then be recreated, but not sure it's worth the bother.... However, the Instagram Truefin is not effected.

Because this was a detailed review, we archived it at truefintechnical.

It is interesting that this guy felt his legs were taxed more with Green spines. I guess that makes sense, but it just depends on how hard you kick them when you have Green spines installed. I don't know if his experience with the different spines would be the same experience for other divers. I think divers with Truefin like to stress themselves to see how fast they can go,, but they should really just take it easy and go for easy kicking efficiency.

For a couple reviews, including this one,, go to -

Review by JJC-

Ordered my Truefin Model 110 on 23-September22. I received them on 27-September22. The Fins came with the Blue Spines as advertised. They also came with a set of yellow spines and a note to test both and report back my opinion. I will gladly oblige.
My initial thoughts:
1) assembly was very easy and intuitive for straps and spines.
2) the fins are listed as size Large. I wear US Men’s 11.5 wide. The fins fit with all three pairs of my Dive Boots. I have soft top, medium rigid and rigid boots. All fit the foot pocket comfortably.
3) the weight is noticeably lighter than my Jet fins as well as my Avanti Quattros.
4) the booklet that came with the Truefin is very informative and explains a bit more about the design and testing. I am a technical Guy by profession and appreciate the level of detail provided.
Tomorrow I will hit the pool for initial swim and test of the blue vs yellow spines.
Saturday I am diving a freshwater quarry. I will report back my results.
So far I am very impressed and look forward to getting these wet!

So, just finished with the Pool test 9/28/22.
Started with Blue Spines
The mechanical stops at 20 and 60 degrees are noticeable. The fin feels mechanical.
That is not a bad thing, just takes some getting used to.
The Fin performed as advertised. I experienced more bang for my Buck with each kick and my legs felt less fatigued. I was able to do all kick styles with ease and found the Fin to be very maneuverable. As an SDI Divemaster I find it important to cover distance quickly. This Fin did not disappoint.
I next swapped over to the yellow Spines. These were noticeably easier in the flutter but not quite as powerful. Like with the Blue I felt like I was using less energy to move around. The yellow felt ideal for an average Diver.
I then switched the Blue to the outboard rail only. I found this combination to be the best for my Finning style.
This will be the combination I use for my up coming quarry Dive. I will post again afterwards.
So far I am very impressed with the overall performance.
Test Dives completed.
I dove 4 times today at Blue Water Park in Pelham, Alabama. The Fins performed very well. I was able to move and glide with less effort than my Avanti Quattros. Like the pool, all kick styles were much more efficient. The Fins gets the best performance for Frog Kicks when the kick is performed at the proper angle. I swam around and through many structures and the fins were not clunky. All in all I enjoyed my new Truefins and can’t wait to try the green spines.
Finally got to Dive the Green Spine. As advertised, these are the stiffest of the three options. I had instant power really liked how responsive this configuration was. I did notice my legs felt much more taxed. I Dove these in a Lake at 52 degrees Fahrenheit. I normally Dive a Jet Fin for cold water and heavy current Adventures. The Truefin had more power and this configuration will be my new go-to for current and cold water. Again, I like the instant power and more bang for the buck on each kick. If you can comfortably kick a Jet Fin you will likely enjoy the Truefin with the Green Spines.
All in all I give this product two thumbs way up. If you are the type of person that likes choice and customization you will love these Fins!

I finally had the opportunity to dive the Truefin fins again last night with the large springs. This made a tremendous difference in comfort, thanks for sending out the larger springs! I'm shoe size 11 and the mediums were causing too much pressure on my feet in the foot pocket.

I dove the green spines again. While entering the water, an instructor noticed the fins and started asking questions. I gave him a brief overview, showed him the flex in the spines, and he sounded intrigued. Then complained about how many pairs of fins he owns, as if to excuse himself from having to run out and buy a pair.

Since my initial dive with the Truefins, I've been diving my Diverite XT fins. I can definitely tell a difference. The Diverites are much spongier. The Truefins definitely have more response. I did some flutter kicks and they responded well. My favorite thing about the fins is when I want to back up. I struggle a little with my Diverites, but the Truefins, I back right up.

The fins are heavy out of the water (around the weight of jet fins) and are slightly negative underwater, I mean barely.

I'm going to take them with me on a charter (Kyalami) next week, and I'll report back with my experience.

I dove the green spines again. While entering the water, an instructor noticed the fins and started asking questions. I gave him a brief overview, showed him the flex in the spines, and he sounded intrigued. Then complained about how many pairs of fins he owns, as if to excuse himself from having to run out and buy a pair.
I got similar responses when I was trying mine out.

My favorite thing about the fins is when I want to back up. I struggle a little with my Diverites, but the Truefins, I back right up.
I struggle backing up with any fins. I wish the Truefins helped me out. I think the real problem is me not the fins.

I'm going to take them with me on a charter (Kyalami) next week, and I'll report back with my experience.
I'm taking mine to Cozumel for a week of diving at the begining of August.

The more I dive them, the more I like them.

Has anyone compared the foot pocket to Force fins?
I find most fins uncomfortable but the open toe pocket is not only very comfortable but actually fits so well I barely need straps.

Has anyone compared the foot pocket to Force fins?
I find most fins uncomfortable but the open toe pocket is not only very comfortable but actually fits so well I barely need straps.
I don't have force fins, sorry.

I struggle backing up with any fins. I wish the Truefins helped me out. I think the real problem is me not the fins.
L13,

I'm guessing those that are having success while backing up with fins are using the side rails in a side slicing motion, and Truefin has fairly big side rails so maybe that is why backing up works good. First, try backing up while not wearing fins and see if you can do it.

At truefintechnical under 'Finning' the discussion below is provided. I really would welcome any comments from divers if something in this narrative is not quite correct, and then we will edit and update that web page.. /jm

Reverse and helecopter kicking​

You can back kick without fins simply by backwards movement generated by your legs only. In fact, many instructors will first teach back kicking while not wearing fins. During reverse or back kicking while wearing fins, generally the traditional recommendation is for the side walls or side rails of scuba fins to be used for backward propulsion while the fin blades are kept parallel with the water surface or the sea floor, and while a relatively rapid backward side slicing motion of the fin occurs. The side rails of Truefin are similar in size or side projected area as the relatively large side rails of traditional stiff technical fins.

For more experienced divers, a possibly more effective reverse kick technique with Truefin involves twisting the tips of the fin and pulling backward while bringing the toes to the knees, and while presenting as much of the blade face to the water as possible at a constant angle. In this manner, during initiation of the reverse kick the feet should be turned out with knees together, and execute the reverse kick while separating the knees and keeping the knees a low as possible. The reverse kicking technique preferred may vary from user to user.

Helicopter kicks may also benefit from the side projected area of the fin rail, however the main thrust forces while performing a helicopter kick are best produced by alternating between right and left foot during a pushing and pulling motion with the fin blades, and while presenting the fin blade at the broadest presentation against the water as possible depending on the user’s ankle flexibility. During this kick, the knees are typically bent almost ninety degrees, and the more the blades can be turned and presented to the water, the more efficient the helicopter kick.

Truefin will be in an upcoming episode of American Stories Surviving Mann All Stars Season 2

https://americanstories.tv/tv-show/surviving-mann/

AmericanStories - Truefin.jpg

Below is the relevant review recently received.. Thank you AmericanStories.

Truefin Model 110- The Ultimate Fins for Versatile Water Activities

The contestants of Surviving Mann – All Stars Belize and I recently had the opportunity to use the Truefin Model 110, and I must say, these fins exceeded all of our expectations. As a part of Surviving Mann All Stars – Belize, we rely heavily on our gear to perform at our best, and Truefin proved to be an invaluable addition to our arsenal. I can't help but wish these fins were available during my time as a Navy SEAL!

The versatility of the Truefin Model 110 is simply outstanding. Whether it was training swims, long swims, snorkeling, or dives, these fins delivered exceptional performance across the board. Previously, we had to carry around multiple sets of fins for various activities, but now, with Truefin, all you need is one set.

The flexibility of the fins can be easily adjusted to suit individual preferences, making them truly customizable and adaptive to different conditions. One of the standout features of Truefin is its revolutionary one-way flex. This unique design offers incredible thrust, particularly on the backstroke when the fins lock up. I was amazed at the extra power I could generate without feeling overly fatigued. The load distribution on the dominant muscles and lighter load on the return stroke provided a better balance, preventing exhaustion during long-distance swims.

In over four decades of swimming and diving experience, I have used numerous fins, but Truefin stands head and shoulders above the rest. The quality and durability are evident right out of the box. Made in the USA, these fins are built to last, ensuring they won't let you down in any challenging aquatic environment.

Another aspect that impressed me about Truefin is the attention to detail in their design. The open-heel fin is perfect for snorkelers and divers who wear booties in cold water or need to navigate rocky shores or hot boat decks. The fins are extremely durable, fast, and comfortable to kick, making them ideal for any diving or snorkeling adventure. Truefin includes standard Yellow 415 spines, catering to all kicking styles and ensuring optimal performance.

If you're someone who appreciates researching and analyzing products, you will also see that TRUEFIN have poured their expertise into creating an exceptional fin that surpasses all competition. Investing in quality gear is crucial for any water sport, and Truefin Model 110 is a wise investment that will enhance your overall experience.

In conclusion, Truefin Model 110 fins have earned my highest recommendation. Their versatility, performance, and durability make them a game-changer for any water activity. Whether you're a professional diver, a snorkeling enthusiast, or a spearfishing aficionado, Truefin is the brand that will elevate your aquatic adventures to new heights.

Don Mann
Host Surviving Mann
Navy SEAL Team SIX (ret)

American Stories Network - American Stories Network

I'll be taking them with on my first boat dive Sunday. I still haven't tried any color besides green.

I'll be taking them with on my first boat dive Sunday. I still haven't tried any color besides green.

Green are good. They are the most unique because no other fin on the market can remain perfectly flat during the power frog kick,,, or perfectly flat during the flutter return kick thus enabling return flutter kick thrust..

We haven't really spotted a pattern yet about which spine most divers prefer, it just depends on too many factors I guess. If you are a frog kicker, Blue at Big toe, and green at little toe is worth trying at some point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom