Question Truefins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the comment. I don't know how many divers climb a ladder with fins on, but the rigid chassis of Truefin makes that easy on the arch of the foot. Regarding the flex as you drag the fin over that ledge,,, the fins equipped with Blue or Green spines allow the blade to flex 60 degrees toe down while dragging over that ledge, and the Yellow spines allow the blade to flex 75 degrees toe down.
In Jupiter/WPB, a few charters have Christmas tree ladders. They suggest climbing up onto the deck with fins on, and the deckhand will help get them off.

Truefin at Wreck Alley. Wreck Alley is an area a few miles off the coast of Mission Beach, San Diego, California with several ships intentionally sunk as artificial reefs and as Scuba diving attractions for wreck divers.

I don't quite understand the finning technique they are trying to use, very confusing.

I don't quite understand the finning technique they are trying to use, very confusing.
I don't know these divers. I guess they were just playing around getting a feel for the fins. Here is another video, portrait format... They went inside the ship. I'm am going to try to find out what ship this was,, or what type of ship. Looks like it's been there awhile. I think there are a half dozen ships sunk there.

I just finished 4 days of diving in Cozumel with my Truefin's.

16 dives and over 20 hours underwater and over all, I was very happy with them. I'm starting to get used to the subtle click as they hit each end of their range of motion.

I accidentally only brought the green spines, so I ended up doing mostly frog kick. In heavy current flutter kick became uncomfortable, and I wished I had my blue or yellow spines but I had plenty of power in my frog kicks. I think I'm going to try the mixed green/blue setup next time.

Because of their fold-able nature, I was able to do the trip carrying-on only with my complete kit (except tanks and weights) . However, they were not quite as compact when folded as I had anticipated.

They stand out visually, and I got a lot of attention.

Yeah we all need that subtle click as they hit each end of their range of motion

Whilst the fins seem to behave properly, flexing, but not too much, and exhibiting some decent return of the elastic energy stored while flexing, the divers wearing them seem to have no idea how to use them, either flutter kicking or frog kicking.
It would be nice to see a video where they are used properly...
I also like the visibility provided by those white dots on the sides.

Yeah we all need that subtle click as they hit each end of their range of motion

It can be perceived when exerting greater forces, but I'll let divers who use the fins indicate if it is really objectionable. When it occurs you are experiencing thrust at high efficiency. One thing we could do is provide an O ring kit, and users can install and slip an O ring over the head of the vertebrae and let the O ring be trapped at the narrowest part of the vertebrae necks, thereby providing an elastomeric cushion during the contact event. This issue has not risen to be an issue that is a concern, but we will keep an eye out for users comments in that regard. Perhaps it is an exception, but one comment we had from a diver was that those subtle events are somewhat reassuring, and gives feedback during aggressive kicking as to when the blade is at the optimum angle of attack. ....The bottom line is how important is it to a divers needs to have high thrust and high efficiency of a fin. If a diver really is not planning on going a significant distance, or will not be faced with high currents, then it is not important.

Whilst the fins seem to behave properly, flexing, but not too much, and exhibiting some decent return of the elastic energy stored while flexing, the divers wearing them seem to have no idea how to use them, either flutter kicking or frog kicking.
It would be nice to see a video where they are used properly...
I also like the visibility provided by those white dots on the sides.

We are trying to assemble frog kicking videos. I think I can say I have never seen two people frog kick exactly alike,

Below is a video while doing flutter kicking during pool tests. The closest diver is using Yellow spines while performing longer strokes, and the background diver is using Blue spines while performing shorter strokes. The spines were all black in color, and I am using Yellow and Blue in reference to spine geometry only.

Truefin Scuba Fin - pool flutter.gif

It isn't significant or a problem. It's just different from the fins I am used to. If these were the first fins I had owned, I probably wouldn't even have notice it and would miss it if I tried other fins.

We are trying to assemble frog kicking videos. I think I can say I have never seen two people frog kick exactly alike,

Below is a video while doing flutter kicking during pool tests. The closest diver is using Yellow spines while performing longer strokes, and the background diver is using Blue spines while performing shorter strokes. The spines were all black in color, and I am using Yellow and Blue in reference to spine geometry only.

View attachment 797651
Interesting...
But as a finned swimming instructor I had said to both divers that they flex too much their knees and the one more far away is kicking too fast.
The closest one is keeping arms in wrong position (not fully extended) causing significant drag.
The fins seem to behave properly...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom