Truck for diving help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been waiting, waiting, waiting (years) for them to stuff a diesel in the USA Wrangler. Then they come up with Gladiatior and, hmmm maybe. Now I need to wait for the diesel Gladiator ...
Actually, I need to wait until the get it set up with a decent towing capacity, comparable to the gasser. A neutered diesel truck is just sad.

Towing capacity and gear ratios. I’ve not heard great things about the Gladiators, from a towing and hauling standpoint.

I was on Jeep forums almost 20 years ago when people were clamoring for a diesel Wrangler. I guess better late than never, lol.

Part or me wants a Gladiator, but I’ll never get past the price tag.

the gladiator is at 7600 lbs tow capacity and 1600 lbs payload iirc. the problem with the wrangler was wheelbase issues limiting the tow capacity. the ecodiesel limits it to 6000 lbs because of cooling limitations, but you get 28 mpg.

the gladiator is at 7600 lbs tow capacity and 1600 lbs payload iirc. the problem with the wrangler was wheelbase issues limiting the tow capacity. the ecodiesel limits it to 6000 lbs because of cooling limitations, but you get 28 mpg.

What is the useful payload and towing capacity? From what I’ve read...the Gladiator is not a vehicle that you can comfortably max out either of those figures.

Get a cargo van. Ford Transit Connect 250 with a medium roof.

Sleep in it near the marina.

Plenty of space to stand up, stow your bottles (racks), organize your kit, hang your exposure suit and the rest of your kit.

Does double duty for hauling your bike to track days. Same thing...sleep at the track.

depends on the model but it is going to be lower than a f150/ranger. and if you opt for the rubicon, that decreases it also because the offroad bits take up weight.

Plenty of space to stand up, stow your bottles (racks), organize your kit, hang your exposure suit and the rest of your kit.

Does double duty for hauling your bike to track days. Same thing...sleep at the track.

The Transit Connect is the little one. I’m guessing you meant the Transit 250.

That would be nice. I would do a lot more diving down in NC, but hotel costs (generally $200+/night when I’ve looked) make it cost prohibitive for me.

Yep, -1600 for the diesel version is ridiculous. Fix the cooling!

So I'll wait more to see if they get around to doing it right. Oh, and put a manual behind it ...

+1
I have a standard length E350 Club Wagon with the 7.3.
For dive weekends I built a platform in the back behind the 1st bench that clips into the seat anchors and tilts up in two sections. Pretty much all, of my equipment and 10ish tanks below with a queen air mattress on top. With the 7.3 I don't even know any of that is back there.
The new high-tops are nice, but the Transits don't tow anything like the Econolines.

I had 2 JKU's and loved them but they are sooo overpriced. The Gladiator is just redic on price. I test drove it, it's nice but not worth the almost 12 to 15 thousand more than Tacoma or Ranger. spec'ed the same.

I’m guessing you meant the Transit 250.

You are entirely correct and thanks for the correction.

I live (sometimes) in Tampa and diving on the Gulf Coast ain’t so great. I want to be able to drive on Friday after work to the Atlantic coast, sleep in a CVS parking lot, wake up, hit the coffee shop and save the dough for He. I need He more than I need a plush hotel room.

Over time, I can build the cargo van out with some cabinets, etc.

I’ve had a 2002 Tacoma that I loved but family outgrew it. The 4 Wheel Camper on back was a Swiss Army knife. I grew up backpacking so it was all I needed.

upload_2020-9-13_0-36-6.jpeg

upload_2020-9-13_0-36-22.jpeg

Fleeted up to an expedition-grade RV for a trip to South America. I lost interest in the trip...my wife’s not very “expeditionary”. I’ll do that trip by motorcycle. The RV is not worth the hassle, IMO.

upload_2020-9-13_0-38-39.jpeg

upload_2020-9-13_0-39-54.jpeg

upload_2020-9-13_0-40-23.jpeg

Enter the cargo van. Can’t go to the places above but it’ll work for Florida. If I want to go back to the mountains, the Transit will get me close and I can walk, run, bicycle or ski the rest of the way.

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-13_0-35-28.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-13_0-35-28.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 39
So, I have come across a new (red.. not a fan but.. ) leftover 2019 Ranger Lariat (every option) with a sticker of a whopping $46,300 and I have them down to $37,800 so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom