Troy Springs?...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah theres Rennakers/Cave Excursions and Dive Outpost in Mayo. Also at the Steamboat Inn in Branford, but it has funny hours.

jvihe and HarleyDiver thanks for the info.
we plan to check out the area soon weather
permitting

A friend and I dove Royal and Troy this past weekend. We were the first in Royal so there was no silt stirred up. The water was clear and beautiful. Troy was really nice. I hadn't been there in at least 15 years. It's a State park now with a new parking lot, bathroom facilities, a concrete walkway, and a dive platform with steps. The last time I visited Troy it was in a cow pasture. The farmer had a sign saying "Close the gate. Don't let the cows out".
The spring is beautiful. On our final dive there yesterday, I was down at the botttom looking up and marveling at the view with the clear water and big boulders. Then an over-weighted, struggling new diver got on the rim of the basin and "motor-boated" with their fins. From the bottom I looked up and saw a massive wall of mud rolling down the slope in an avalanche. It hit the spring jets at the bottom and then blew upwards like a volcano. Visibility went from 100-feet to probably 5 in an instant. Oh, well. It would have been neat to have recorded that scene on video. On a more positive note, I had read here where people said that the wreck of the steamboat Madison was picked over and that there wasn't much left. We swam over and checked it out and I was happy to see that the Madison looked the same as what I remembered. Part of it is covered in mud, but the ribs, bolts, and hull planks are still there. You can see the dimensions of the hull and it is fairly good-sized. As the sun went down the nocturnal water turtles came out to feed. There were at least 100 of them, of all different sizes from a few inches to more that a foot across. I wish that I had had an underwater camera with me. All the turtles would have made for some fantastic photos. The creek run has some interesting limestone formations and crevices, and a beautiful natural limestone bridge that you can swim or snorkel under. We enjoyed the heck out of Troy and did three dives there over the weekend.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom