Troy Springs Yeserday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmokeAire

Contributor
Reaction score
In one word.....YUCK!

Arrived at TS and we put our money in the "honor" box..first mistake.
After parking we walked down to the springs so Jerry, who had never been there, could get a look at it before we suit up. Standing on the platform we could barely see the rock shelf about a foot or so below the water. The water itself looked very black. Well it was very overcast so we just figured it was because it wasn't sunny out...second mistake. We hemmed and hawed for a while but decided to get in anyway to practice buoyancy, had steel tanks that we had never dove with and navigation. Well viz was less then zero...nothing..nadda...zilch. I got down to 40 feet couldn't see the bottom or even when looking up, the surface nor anything with in inches of my hand let alone anyone I was diving with. It was so bad we couldn't even tell if we upside down, sideways etc.
Apparently it had been raining almost everday in the northern part of FL so the Suwannee (sp) River was flowing into the springs and the spring outflow just wasn't strong enough to keep the river out.
Well we bagged the dive, just wasn't any fun. Since a few people mentioned Royal Springs that came up as an alternative but it was decided that if Troy was yuck so would be Royal as they are connected to the same river.

Lessons learned...check the spring out BEFORE putting in the bucks in the box. If the spring looks like kaka call it.

Oh well that's life in nature.
And if you learn just one thing from every dive it's worth it.

Chuck

I've told that rainfall in Georgia also effects the levels of the Swuanee.

That would be the case, that is one long river!! Sorry about your dive, at least you got some nav and low viz (think Venice again!!) practice.

I hope that Ginnie isnt affected by that same runoff down the Santa Fe (or is it close enought so Suwannee? We are off there this weekend, would dislike bad viz!

I wouldn't think Ginnie would as affect by the Santa Fe as Troy is the Suwannee. The Troy spring basin is so big that the water coming out of the vents would have little impact on the river water flowing in. Ginnies basins are alot smaller so the water volume and velocity would not be diluted, so to speak, as in Troy.
About three years ago right after I recieved my OW I came to Fl for a week and dove Ginnie and went out into the SF to do a bit of river drift diving. The river was crystal clear. I've been told that that was not a common condition of the SF After I moved down here last May I went to Ginnie and the SF was very brown, like the Suwannee. But it did not effect Ginnie at all. You might want to call just in case.

Speaking of Venice a couple of us are kinda mumbling about making another go at Venice next week. I think compared to Troy we will relish in what ever viz. we get there.
Enjoy Ginnie.

Chuck

Chuck,

we are Tally next weekend, family stuff for my GF, BUT i was thinking of going to Venice on 3/6 if you are interested? Its a saturday and i will probably be going to Zephyrhills to look at some gear (hopefully), so a little further down the road for an earlish (say 9.30-10am arrival might be in order) - will post around that date to see what the interest is.

Simon,
Sounds good to me as of now. Let me know further on. On the 1st and 2nd I'm taking my Cavern course so I think I will be up for something a bit less challenging.

Chuck

Chuck, good luck with that, we are hoping to take that kind of course some time later this year, have a few others to do first and more diving of course. I couldnt think of anything less physically challenging than lying very near the bottom trying to pick thru the sand - unless you dive in your bath maybe :wink:

The challenge has so far been to find teeth!

Who are you doing your course with? We are thinking if all goes well with GDI on AOW and Nitrox that we will go further with him into that (frgay seems content to be taught by him).

I'm going to take the cavern course with Bill Rennaker.

I only use my snorkel in the tub. And with out a compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom