Troubles at Three Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just don't understand sometimes.

I went out diving today with Roll221, Kevin, and VblueV. We first hit the trench (great dive) for my first dive there ever. I really enjoyed it and will definitely do it again when the viz is better (about 40-50 feet). We also saw a huge turtle as we were coming back over the inner reef from the trench.

The second dive we decided to move down and try three tables. The swell was up and the waves were 4-6ft, but doable for the skill level of the four of us. Just before we went out there was a huge class of about 12-15+ divers (from a notoriaous LDS)that were also going out. They finally made it out past the break and were still on the surface when we dropped down into one of the gullys to go under the break on our way out. We had a nice dive and went mostly straight out to the edge of the drop off. We poked around in the pukas and found a couple of really nice turtles to watch, along with a lot of fish. After some nice diving we headed back in.

Now this is where the problem seemed to be. We were taking our time to come in because there was a lot of surge. We would relax with the out and fin with the in. All was going fine until said class decided it was time to come back in. They were all finning like mad through the gully. I had two almost tangle in my buoy line three just run smack dab into my tanks pretty much head first and at least two that grabbed onto me as they were trying to get in. Most of them (including the photographer) were also grabbing as much of the reef as they could to help themselves along.

I understand the reef towards the inside of the tables isn't in all that great condition, but that is still no excuse. And as far as them racing in like a herd of animals. The conditions were definitely over most of their heads. Once you got out the conditions eased up a bit, but this was stupid folks. I tell ya, I was on the verge of pulling out a knife and starting to cut air hoses as they grabbed onto me so at least they would have to surface and woudln't be grabbing onto me or bumping into me as they were going in.

So, for the dive shop (to remain unnamed) you know who you are. You need to learn how to take care of students and not push them out regardless of the conditions just so you can earn a buck. There were better and safer places on the island today and the north shore wasn't one of them for beginning divers. If they weren't beginning divers, they still were in over their heads. I don't mind diving with anybody that is safe and don't mind sharing dive spots with everybody else, so this isn't about that. This is simply about your poor judgement.

Sounds like a clusterphuk,..get any video? :D now, that would be fun to watch. I vote we film more of that action and forget the turtles...we've all seen turtles, but wayward divers would be fun to watch.

hmm, notorious, huh? that doesn't rule it down much.

We would relax with the out and fin with the in.
So...can ya'll stand up with those doubles once you get to three feet or so? I would think that would be the hard part, getting all that gear up the shore before the next wave.

catherine96821:
Sounds like a clusterphuk,..get any video? :D now, that would be fun to watch. I vote we film more of that action and forget the turtles...we've all seen turtles, but wayward divers would be fun to watch.

hmm, notorious, huh? that doesn't rule it down much.

So...can ya'll stand up with those doubles once you get to three feet or so? I would think that would be the hard part, getting all that gear up the shore before the next wave.

Oh, it can be tough, but on most north shore dive spots it is the sand that kills you. Walking with doubles isn't bad, but the walk across that super coarse sand is not fun at all. You sink in more than you move forward.

As for video, nope. No video of the acrobatics, but I did get some nice footage of a turltle that was examining me. I'll try to get some of that out in a few days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom