Trouble With Low Profile Apeks Valve on DUI Suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it has the DUI logo- its a low profile- you have to specifically ask for the high profile valve or the Si-Tech valve. Either of which they will put on any suit you order for no additional cost.

I recently sent a suit in to DUI for new wrist seals- it left me with a Si-Tech valve on it... and returned to me with the POS Apeks low profile (it's a custom suit- and I specified the Si-Tech when I bought it) despite the fact that the pressure test showed no valve leaks. A quick phone call to DUI remedied the issue- they overnighted me a Si Tech valve at no cost and with abject apologies.

its not just that the low profile apeks leaks, but it also just doesn't vent well. my DC suit came stock with an apeks and i've been much happier after swapping out with a si-tech. i can roll on my side now and bubbles actually come out, its kinda nice...

Is the si-tech "swap" a direct drop in fit?

Jason

Thanks.
I'm assuming the apeks inlet valve is fine, so I only need to replace exhaust. Is that correct?

Jason

No, it is a different size hole. I believe the Si-tech fits a smaller hole. If you don't want it to leak you need a special gasket. My buddy just had one put in because it leaked. DUI didn't put in the gasket and tried to use a bead of silicon. Mark at Superior can confirm this. He uses a patch of drysuit material when making a smaller hole.

Jason B:
Is the si-tech "swap" a direct drop in fit?

Jason

Dan Gibson:
Si-Tech valves stink! Well, at least the one I had on my first drysuit stunk.

Are you sure you didn't just need to wash your drysuit, and make sure it dries faster after dives in funky water? :wink:

smb1014:
I have heard that some people are having trouble with the low profile valves on DUI suits. Anyone have trouble? What would be the remedy? Is this an old problem atht has been fixed by DUI?

I asked DUI (BEFORE I bought two TLS 350's) if this problem had been solved and they said, "Yes, don't worry, that has been resolved." I bought two and they both leaked with ANY AMOUNT OF GAS in the suit for the entire dive season. They always leaked horribly. So, I pay to ship two suits back to Califonia with insurance, I believe that cost me about 60 bucks, and a few weeks later my suits return with the same type of valve but a dif. interior (they said). Pain in the you know what to have to pay to ship to DUI to fix something they said wouldn't happen, but now they are both very dry and I am pleased. Good luck!

lamont:
its not just that the low profile apeks leaks, but it also just doesn't vent well. my DC suit came stock with an apeks and i've been much happier after swapping out with a si-tech. i can roll on my side now and bubbles actually come out, its kinda nice...

With the newer low profile valves now installed on my DUI's I can do this too. I couldn't before. I had to practically beat the valve with my octo to get the thing to vent. LOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom