Tropical storm in Maui???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickmama

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are on the way to Maui tomorrow and was wondering what the weather is doing. I heard there is a tropical storm headed that way. We have some diving planned but sure dont want to be out on rough seas with my grandson. Any information will be appreciated.

The forecast is for wind and rain on the big isle. Maui may see a little of it.

Yeah... the forecast looks pretty normal -- nothing too out of the ordinary for the leeward shores of Maui.

Was very windy when we landed yesterday around 12:30 - pilot said 30 mph winds at the airport.. Seems pretty windy this afternoon also. Our attempt to witness the sunrise above the clouds on Haleakala failed as the summit was still in the clouds and we couldnt even see the sun (had some rain most of the way up also)..
Was at Ulua beach late morning and it was ok (snorkeling, not diving) but by a little after 1 the waves got bigger and made playing in the water more challenging.. I was done snorkeling before that though... Thought I was going to have to rescue some kid who was yelling for help. I went out to see what he needed and he had lost his dad, who we discovered was on shore (why he left his kid without telling him, who knows)...

Glad to hear you made it ok jd. Definitely some serious winds this afternoon. I was diving at Ulua today around 8:30am and about 1 hour later the swell had picked up out of the NW... I was down around 50 feet and vis was good. The turtle station was pretty nice too.. I hope to be diving tomorrow am... Probably 5 graves looking for more patch reef or frogfish... I hope you have a good trip!

Sean

Anyone up for a shore dive on Monday AM (7/23). Tried 5 Graves on Saturday but the swell was coming straight in to the cove. Ended up at Ulua. Staying in Kihei - anywhere would be fine.

We are back home from our week in Maui diving with B&B. Had a great trip. Diving was great even with the winds. We went out early before the winds picked up. Seems the storm didnt interfere with early morning diving anyway. Did the trip to Haleakala and it was beautiful on the 19th but very cold and windy. Dove on the 20th and 23rd and saw lots of turtles, and several frog fish. Even got to see a shark at Molokini. Will try and post some pictures later. Kathy in Texas

Back
Top Bottom