Tropical boy coming to cold waters... help me with my cold feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my experience with the transition was BOTH ways:

I started up here, learned in a drysuit and then went south. When I arrived in the Caribbean, I was giddy with how easy and intuitive the diving was. Just think it and it happens... I would muck dive inverted with hands crossed and mask 4-8 inches off the bottom for as long as I wanted. I got positive comments from others a couple times about how precise of control I maintained...

After a year in board shorts and t shirts, I came back up here and got back into my drysuit... AND despite all the hundreds of dives, (2-3 dives per day, 6 days a week), it seemed I had forgotten EVERYTHING. My first 2 dives were wholly embarrassing. After that, it took yet another 10 more to feel competent again. Totally humbling experience :D but a great exercise in remembering that there is always room for improvement.

So basically, you are on the right path taking a structured approach to the warm -> cold transition. If you aren't too proud, you will likely be solid after a couple dives. Just be careful when you go back to the warm water and really ARE the GOD of buoyancy thanks to the crash course cold water offers... you may get an ego boost!!

If you do nothing more than chaulk up the northern experience to being a lesson in dive skills, its still so worthwhile!!! Plus some pretty awesome life.... keep the hiking boots put away!!

you're such a douche Vince.

keep it going!

I got cert in warm water area and dived there for a year before transition to cold water. I did everything I could think of before getting in cold water at that time; refresh class with LDS in the area (NE US), wetsuit pool tests. But one thing I did not account for, the restriction of movement underwater from that thick neoprene. My first day in a cold water quarry was embarrassing. I could not look down to check my pressure gauge as I did in warm water, due to the restriction by 7mm hooded vest. I could not unclipped the gauge and bring it up to my face also, 6mm glove and had not practiced that procedure. Most of my time in that dive was fighting with the hood and gloves. Of course, I called out the second dive.
I got back and bought a sling clip for my gauge. That solved the problem. I dived more and practiced more. I don't need that sling any more, I can unclipped the gauge with eye closed.
That was my experience. Scuba Diving is fun anyway.

Last edited:
Hello folks! Thanks for the wonderful trove of information. Sorry if I've been quiet lately, but I've been on a plane getting here to -- OH Canada! Such great woods and hills around here! I will not get to go diving until next month, as I said already -- but with what you folks have given me I can plan a little bit.

So abotu 200-250$ for the drysuit course, with the equipment right? It sounds a bit steep, but if it includes some decent OW-ing then I guess it's ok.

@ogggy666, thanks for the offer. I will look ya up soon enough -- for the next weeks I'm going to be on a ship offshore.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom