Trip to Maui in September - Who is a good dive company & must see sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that the best diving on Maui is off Lanai... Wink wink. Extended Horizons, Ed, and Mike all have reps that supersede them. Excellent companies all around.

I did a Twilight shore dive with Shaka Doug in January. He was good enough to take me out as his only customer, and it was a great experience. Lots of turtles!

I did the Lanai Cathedrals with Maui Dive Shop. It's a bit of a hike over the water [take your seasick meds] but worth the effort. They offer a good breakfast, but the boat was a little crowded with 25 divers and half-a-dozen crew [IIRC]. One of the nice things about leaving from Maalaea jetty is that you can park right by the boat boarding ramp if you get there a bit early.

I went out for a morning with B&B...we did the Molokini back wall and the sunken tugboat [sorry, my logs aren't handy]. Had a good time...they're a crew of salty dogs for sure.

Ed Robinson's outfit is also good....we did Molokini several times [next trip I'll be sure to see some other sites]. The Adventure Dives mentioned on his website aren't quite as rigorous as they sound, but maybe not perfect for rank novices.

If you're leaving from the Kihei boat ramp, you might want to scope it out during daylight hours...it's not exactly concealed but every time I drove down in the pre-dawn dark, it was never where I thought I'd find it.

Have fun! We loved Maui, and the diving is very nice...

For a boat dive, I would highly recomend Extended Horizons. We dove the Monolith & 1st cathedral with them, I couldn't imagine how the trip could have been improved upon. Its not a cattle boat, they offer larger tanks, and you dive your own air.

For guided shore dives, Shaka Doug is pretty hard to beat. We dove 5 graves with him and the trip was excellent. We were staying in Kaanapali, and it was well worth the drive down & back to dive with Doug.

The one "can't miss" dive you have got to do is Mala wharf. It is a great site for a multitude of critters, and your best bet to get up close & personal with white tip reef sharks. The entry from shore is a little difficult, but well worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom