Trip Report - Turneffe Island Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you said, it ain't cheap.

However, if you consider that diving a week anywhere in Belize is going to cost you airfare, lodging, meals and diving services, it's not that much more expensive. Plus, there's no transportation considerations once you get there since everything's on site, leaving more time to kick back and relax.

And as an added bonus for me, other than the small gift shop, there's nowhere to shop, which saves me a bundle since my wife can't be on the prowl for jun--I mean jewelry, clothes and such--to bring home.

However, if you consider that diving a week anywhere in Belize is going to cost you...

As I was reading over this thread, I started to feel like it had taken on a very negative tone. Just for the record, we loved the place and as I said, we fully expect to return one day. There is always room for "improvement" in any resort and TIR is no different, but all of the big things were "spot on" and the little things just didn't matter.

Downing, your point is well taken. Whenever we plan these trips, I cringe at the cost of them. My wife is a school Principal, so we need to travel during our spring break, which adds significantly to the cost. But for many years now, we have opted for somewhat "exclusive" places simply because the level of diving is superior. In case you missed it, we had literally 100s of square kilometres of pristine reef, shared between... 9 of us! Thats a far cry from a Cattle Boat with 24 people on board, on a reef with 6 boats on it. (You might have seen my posts in the solo divers forum... I don't "do" dive crowds very well... I barely do dive buddys... but I digress...)

As I have rationalized to myself many times, it ain't the extra $1500 or $2000 for the awesome week that's the problem... It's the first $6000 to go on an "ordinary" trip that's the problem!

stoo

my wife and i just booked for the first week in August. we just booked into their standard deluxe room but sounds like you guys got the cabana. would you highly recommend the cabana or are the rooms OK? any other tips besides what you mentioned?

Lucky B*ggers! Need a dive sherpa?

I don't think there's a bad room in the place. We were in what I guess was one of the older duplex rooms, right beside the dive shop and dock, which was great. Closer to the main lodge, there are some two-storey buildings, and on the opposite side, there's brand new cabins. Everyone seemed to like their rooms and they all have an unobstructed view of the ocean. I never did figure out the difference between the different grades of room... they're all very nice.

It will be interesting to hear about the summer diving when you get back. My wife is a school principal so we are pretty limited in terms of winter travel and pay a premium for it...

Enjoy your trip and say hello to everyone for us!

We had a cabana and absolutely loved it. My next house will have an outside shower.

My next house will have an outside shower.

LOL we loved those too. Staring up at a palm was rather nice.

I'm not sure it would work too well up her in the Great White North. Standing outside in a blizzard just wouldn't be the same somehow... :(

I just realized you're in Minnesota. You must be hardier than we Ontarioans...

stoo

my wife and i just booked for the first week in August. we just booked into their standard deluxe room but sounds like you guys got the cabana. would you highly recommend the cabana or are the rooms OK? any other tips besides what you mentioned?

Hey, that's when we'll be there if you mean 7/31 thru 8/7.

We're staying in a cabana again. I like my privacy, mostly so I can crank up my SoundDock without bothering my neighbors.

I think the duplex rooms that Stoo stayed in might be the best of all in terms of location. I saw one of the rooms in the fourplex next to the lodge and was struck with how similar it was to our cabana's interior, albeit much smaller and with fewer windows. If I stayed in one of those rooms, though, I'd be concerned about noise from the neighbors coming through the walls or floor/ceiling. And the screened-in porch isn't as private as I would prefer.

As Stoo said, all the rooms and cabanas are pretty much right on the ocean.

Are the cabanas worth the extra $$? Definitely when compared to the two-story fourplex but it's a closer call when compared to the one-story duplexes with only one common wall and less chance of unwanted noise.

Regarding outdoor showers, a couple of years ago we stayed at a resort in Mexico with cabanas that also featured outdoor showers. Only you had to walk down a short path through the jungle to get to your shower. I loved it, but my wife found it a bit unnerving to shower surrounded by nothing but jungle. So when we went to TIR, I was a little disappointed but she was relieved to find the outdoor shower right outside the back door, just past the indoor shower we never used except for Hermit Crab storage.

Here are some photos of the place, including the few shots I have of the accomodations.

The dock. First thing you'll see when you get there. Staff quarters are to the right and the middle of the island. Guest accomodations are to the left and stretch almost all the way down the eastern shore (about a ten minute walk), starting with the duplexes, then the fourplex(es?), the lodge, pool and pool bar, then ending with the cabanas. I posted the following photos in the order that you would see these things as you walked down the guest side of the island.

IMG_1053.jpg

This would be the duplex. I remember two of them so there may be another one to the right not in the picture (Stoo?). I don't remember there being a two-story building so close to the duplex but, as they say, memory's the second thing to go. The boat dock is to the right of this photo, and I was standing on it when I shot this unless I was on a boat. The remaining guest accomodations and the lodge etc are to the left, around the curve of the island.

IMG_1075.jpg

This is the fourplex. To the left is the owner's cabana and just to the left of that--not in the photo--is the lodge, where the meals are served. As the dock is the activities center, the lodge is the social center of the island. The shore line would be right behind where I was standing when I took this shot.

IMG_1002.jpg

The lodge. It's quiet. Too quiet. I probably shot this on the Saturday in the middle of our stay, when there were only four guests on the island for the entire day. That's the owner's cabana on the right.

IMG_1103.jpg

The pool and bar. The lodge is now to my left and the ocean's on the other side of the bar.

IMG_1038.jpg

Walking towards the cabanas, I turned around and took this shot of the pool. The pool bar is behind that tree. The lodge, actually the kitchen, is in the background.

IMG_1063.jpg

Standing in the same spot, I turned back around and took this shot of "cabana row."

IMG_1062.jpg

Cabana 8. Our little slice of heaven. Most of the cabanas look like this, but a couple near the pool have wraparound porches and are a little bigger. Notice our laundry hanging on the front porch.

IMG_0979.jpg

George, the bartender, and me. He said he'd stay and serve until I was ready to leave, and he was true to his word. Brad, who had to be the DM the next morning, knocked off at midnight but Marcel and I kept George there until 3 o'clock in the morning. Things got a little crazy with all manner of people dropping in. I got sidetracked after I left and didn't make it "home" till 5:30. My wife was not terribly sympathetic at breakfast two hours later. I know you're not supposed to dive with a hangover but um, well I'll take the 5th Amendment, thank you. A truly memorable night.

IMG_1099.jpg

Hey, what kind of pose is that? Try again.

IMG_1093.jpg

Much better. Brad, my wife Carol, and Marcel. These guys were our boat captains/dive guides (they switch jobs each week and since we were there for two weeks we were motored about by and dived with both). They were absolutely superb in every way, and I can't wait to dive with them again.

IMG_1092.jpg

Only seven weeks and two days till takeoff...

Nice Pics downing

Its been years since I was at Turneffe Lodge I'll have to plan a visit soooooon

Gaz

I'm not sure it would work too well up her in the Great White North. Standing outside in a blizzard just wouldn't be the same somehow...
sad.gif

I just realized you're in Minnesota. You must be hardier than we Ontarioans...

A shower up here (or down here in relation to your location) during the winter would require the use of a chainsaw to cut away the ice that has encapsulated you. :D

I was thinking that we would move to somewhere significantly warmer.

Here's a link to some underwater and topside photos at Turneffe:
Picasa Web Albums - Ben - Turneffe Isla...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom