Trip Report - Turneffe Island Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the 2 Timers Club, and I'm going to be so jealous when you blow past me and join the 3 Peaters! :D I'll get there eventually.

Brad and Marcel are great, but I like John and Daniel, too. I've dived with the latter pair only on night dives, but I've partied with both and really like them a lot. John is very quiet, but if you get a couple of beers in him he'll open up.

Loved the report!

I have just returned from Turneffe...

The diving surpassed last years in many ways. Last year, we could only dive the Elbow once due to bad vis. This year, we dove it four times. I have never seen so many fish as I did on those dives. At the end of our last dive there, we swam through three massive schools (and I mean many thousands of large fish in each) of snappers and permit. It was unbelievable. .

It is the most "fishy" place I have ever dived in the world. In that one little area of the Elbow, when you find the current line and all the fish at the same time....WOW!!
There are times when there are 2-3000 cubera snappers spawning. In the last month, that school of Dog snappers you saw was more like 400 and some cuberas and mutton snappers hanging with them, a school of 200 permit, about 30-40 spade fish another school of big horse eye jacks with about 150 or so and another school of small horse eyes hanging around the bottom. Not to mention all the black groupers, nassau and a few others on the bottom with a few cero mackerels cruising by....and the occasional king mackerel. My son calls it "God's Aquarium".
You have to find the fish though. They're usually 200 yards or even more south of the southern most mooring. A lot of divers never see what you saw.

I suspect I never have.

I suspect I never have.

Makes me wonder if the fish aren't a little spooked of a lot of divers and bubbles. I was there one day about 2 months ago and a single scuba diver went down right near where we found the dog snappers, about 150 yards or so south of that last mooring where the top of the reef drops from about 40-50 feet down to 80-90. The fish moved off while he was there. We found them again but they'd moved south.
The fly fishermen guides know what to look for. You'll see the rubbish and sea grass line where the lagoon water is dumping off the atholl. If you're north of this line, you will get bad vis. But when you find the line, the water turns much more clear. Mackerels are hanging right on the edge but the snappers are usually out in the clear water, along with all the other fish.

On other days without much tide, you just have to swim or drift to find them.

What a great report - thanks for the details. We are heading there in July!!! I am thinking of getting Nitrox certification. Would you do it there at the island for $185 during a one-week stay? Or beforehand?

Also, was there anything you wished you had brought with you?

Thanks, Karin

I suggest not taking classes while on your vacation. Takes a pretty good bite out of your free time. Reading, classes, etc when you want to be relaxing.

What a great report - thanks for the details. We are heading there in July!!! I am thinking of getting Nitrox certification. Would you do it there at the island for $185 during a one-week stay? Or beforehand?
Thanks, Karin

I might not categorically agree with Shasta_man - my wife will only dive where it's warm, so in the interest of keeping her certs progressing, we've done both AOW and Rescue "on vacation". But his point is worth considering in your planning.

However, the PADI Nitrox cert has no diving involved, just classroom. If there was any cert I'd do locally vice on vacation, that's it - and we did just that.

Also, was there anything you wished you had brought with you?

Thanks, Karin
Karin, I think you are wise to do the Nitrox certification. Regardless of "why" you want to do it, it's a good idea. We use it to extend our time at depth. Others use it to increase their margin of "safety".

As for where you do the course, I believe a basic Nitrox course is still all just theory, so it's easy enough to do at home. That way you'll be ready to go when you get there. I have no idea when they would do the course there, but if it takes time away from diving, then it's a bad idea!

As for stuff, we travel a lot so long ago developed a little checklist so we don't overpack. It spells out everything from the number of T-shirts we want to take to dive gear, to medications/first aid stuff. We might adjust this a bit depending on where we're going, but not by much.

Just remember that this isn't the kind of place where there's a 7-11 on the corner. There tends to be snacks readily available... fresh cookies, plantain chips, granola, lemonade and ice-tea, but if you have a preferred snack you might want to take that. You don't need a fancy wardrobe, but I'd suggest a shell in case it rains and a warm layer like a light fleece or sweat-shirt as the evenings can be cool.

We also tend to take a bit of mosquito coil which we could burn in the room if there were bugs. We haven't needed it at Turneffe, but certainly in other places, it's been a Godsend. Both times, he had a few ants wiggle up the sink drain, but an good rinse got rid of them, and keeping the drain plug closed prevented their return.

If you have any specific questions, fell free to PM me.

We are spending this afternoon looking at summer dive trips... You might be interested in knowing that Turneffe is still at the top of the list! :)

This is a course I would recommend to every diver. It is one that you can do through PADI's eLearning.

Would this be an ok resort for novice divers? It sounds amazing, and I like the everything on one place part, but I don't want to do it if I'm going to be slowing up the rest of the group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom